Home
Feature Article
FIFA 16: E3 Hands-On Preview

For now what we'll be doing here at Operation Sports is posting a quick look detailing some of our initial thoughts on sports titles at E3. Once we play more of these games throughout the week we will post more fleshed out hands-on impressions this week and next.

In addition, if you have questions about the game you would like us to ask developers, feel free to post them. We can't guarantee we'll get them answered -- and it's probably better to not get too crazy specific -- but what we do get answered we'll post here on OS as well at some point. The same goes for if you just want to hear more about something we talked about in the article(s). For example, "hey dude, you talked about how the dribbling feels different, can you talk more about that?"

FIFA comes into this season with the standard issue of having a good gameplay formula that needs to be refined and improved without chapping the base group of fans. Of course, when you have millions of people who play your game, it's always hard to know who makes up that base, but right now FIFA is toying with the formula in some interesting ways.

-The new driven passing system -- activated by pressing the pass button and RB/R1 -- certainly feels like the biggest change. Obviously soccer is a game built around passing, so speeding up passes is a core change. With that in mind, it feels solid to this point. It's something that I think hinges partly on attributes and partly on how much improvement there really is to the defensive awareness. What I mean is that guys both receiving and trying to pull off those passes should have strong ratings in those areas. And on defense, defenders really do need to be better at cutting down angles and being properly aggressive to keep it all balanced.

-So is the defense stepping up more often and cutting down those lanes? Yes, so far it seems that way. I think FIFA could use a bit of mucking up in the midfield, and both against the AI and another human there was some noticeable muck. It could be both sides getting used to the new passing mechanics and so forth, but it's a good sign right now.

-However, with that aggression comes consternation of sorts as it relates to the physicality in the game. It's more pronounced playing against a user rather than the AI, but I still feel like I'm getting abused on the ball and not seeing enough calls (much like in previous years). Controlled aggression should still pay more dividends than ruthless aggression, and sometimes I just don't feel that's the case.

-Feinting is probably my new jam. I'm a huge fan of being stationary and doing moves, so this adds another layer to it all. It should fit naturally into the toolbox of those who like doing moves already.

-In addition, if the long-run bursts of speed through the entire team by the likes of Aubameyeng feel less like a thing so far, I'm okay with trading it with a new "exploit" of using feints and quick bursts of speed to get around defenders in small spaces. Obviously, I hope both are balanced, but the latter feels more skill-based than the former.

-Shooting is really hard to get a feel for so far. That is not a positive or negative thing, it's just a thing. I can see shots coming off the foot at new angles and so forth right now, it's just hard to gauge what that means for the game other than it looks better looking than the old shooting overall.

-If headers were too easy two years ago and then too hard last year, then I think early signs are that it's moving back towards being easier. I'm not saying this is a negative or positive yet -- I saw a beautiful goal off the head of Kagawa in one of my game's today -- it's just something I'm noting for now.

-You can immediately tell that the lighting and faces both mimic more of a "real" look in this version, which is good, but overall FIFA still feels like the weakest EA Sports game in the graphics department. It will always be an uphill battle due to the default camera angle being so far away, so on some level I wish the surrounding areas (crowds, sidelines etc.) looked more alive to make games feel a bit grander in scope.

Early Outlook

I really think the best thing you can say about a game like FIFA when it reaches the level of being with The Show's of the world in terms of gameplay quality is that it's not "messing anything up." Maybe that makes me out to be someone who does not appreciate risk-taking or trying to innovate, but on some level my argument will always be, "well why would you want to mess something up that does not need to be overhauled yet?" Instead, so far it feels like FIFA is making the right gambles by trying to create the need for more midfield play and improve the ability to stop something like the elevated through ball. In other words, the game is trying to kill issues it has now rather than create new ones it does not yet need to worry about.

FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ncaafootball14markus @ 06/18/15 04:31 AM
Question - Any chance of getting multiple combinations for kits on some of the teams? If not w/ the initial release, how about in the EA Catalogue (to buy w/ coins similar to purchasing historic kits)

Examples - Manchester United home red jersey w/ BLACK shorts (as opposed to white)

Tottenham ALL white combo

Southampton blue home jersey with yellow shorts and socks

Chelsea - All blue kit with BLUE socks (not their normal white)

Arsenal - alternate between their red and white socks to go along w/ their main red, home jersey.

# 2 JHedges2 @ 06/18/15 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaafootball14markus
Question - Any chance of getting multiple combinations for kits on some of the teams? If not w/ the initial release, how about in the EA Catalogue (to buy w/ coins similar to purchasing historic kits)

Examples - Manchester United home red jersey w/ BLACK shorts (as opposed to white)

Arsenal - alternate between their red and white socks to go along w/ their main red, home jersey.
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one mate...

# 3 kwebbvols4423 @ 06/18/15 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaafootball14markus

That would be great but I don't see that happening.

# 4 Hydra @ 06/18/15 11:11 AM
Why doesn't anyone play using broadcast camera angle? Every gameplay video of fifa I see is usually using the default tele camera angle. Broadcast gives you the feeling like your watching an actual match on tv. I think I'm literally the only one that uses broadcast haha

# 5 Twister26 @ 06/18/15 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra
Why doesn't anyone play using broadcast camera angle? Every gameplay video of fifa I see is usually using the default tele camera angle. Broadcast gives you the feeling like your watching an actual match on tv. I think I'm literally the only one that uses broadcast haha
I think the more of the pitch you see the better so you can pick out player's runs etc. I prefer the tele broadcast camera zoomed out. It's strange though that everyone plays Madden, 2k and NHL with up and down cam but Fifa from side on lol.

# 6 Twister26 @ 06/18/15 11:34 AM
Any improvements on goalkeeper's decision making?
How does the new shooting mechanics feel?
What was the AI defence like for picking up runners and covering space?

One thing I would like to see come back is create set piece mode. Not just the 4 options you have from corners but an in depth system. Also the abilty to create defensive set pieces so I can put players where I want when defending free kicks and corners. Choose man mark or zonal defence. Get your best heading players in key areas. I like to play with a player on the half way line right at the touchline when defending corners, if the gk catches it I throw it to him immediatly setting up great counter attacks.

# 7 Turbojugend @ 06/18/15 12:08 PM
Quote:
I like the look of FIFA's broadcast cam, it's really authentic. But at the same time it hides too much, especially on the far end of the pitch. The ball gets hidden behind players, etc.

As for other sports games, I play all of them with a side-to-side cam except Madden. Football just doesn't work for me with that cam.

# 8 KG @ 06/18/15 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
I like the look of FIFA's broadcast cam, it's really authentic. But at the same time it hides too much, especially on the far end of the pitch. The ball gets hidden behind players, etc.

As for other sports games, I play all of them with a side-to-side cam except Madden. Football just doesn't work for me with that cam.
Yeah, it's a great camera to watch someone else play but I feel like I'm missing out on seeing the entirety of the pitch. I will say that it's probably more realistic in the sense that it more closely mirrors a 1st person experience.

# 9 Krebstar @ 06/18/15 01:53 PM
Quote:
In addition, if you have questions about the game you would like us to ask developers, feel free to post them.
Oh! I do!

Have any steps been taken to make teams play differently from one another? Custom tactics were basically killed in FIFA 15 for the AI, so while teams did finally change their tactics depending on the situation in the game (long balls late to score, stalling with the lead) each team essentially played the same for yet another year in a row.

Can we expect to see a change to that this year?

# 10 asu666 @ 06/18/15 07:41 PM
Madden is finally putting some work in on penalties, hopefully, FIFA and PES take a que and follow with more calls or at least an option for more calls.

# 11 Turbojugend @ 06/18/15 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
Madden is finally putting some work in on penalties, hopefully, FIFA and PES take a que and follow with more calls or at least an option for more calls.
I never had a problem with fouls in FIFA 15, in fact it's the first FIFA game that I remember seeing red cards in consecutive games. I see/get plenty of fouls and they seem well deserved.

# 12 Matt10 @ 06/18/15 08:19 PM
Quote:
Anytime I post up a video on my YT channel, the first comment is "What camera are you using" - so yeah, I hear ya, man. It's a GREAT camera.

I know I use it, isureaper31 uses it, OneDrop uses it - and probably some others. I just feel if it's how it looks on TV, that's how I want to play the game.

# 13 J-Unit40 @ 06/18/15 09:35 PM
Quote:

I hear you. All broadcast camera angle, all the time for me. It just looks too good to not play with that angle. It does hide a little bit of the pitch, but to me it's worth it. The overall look and presentation just feels like what we see on TV.

# 14 PPerfect_CJ @ 06/19/15 09:25 AM
Can someone there please ask them if they have finally fixed the winter gear bug?

# 15 lucio360 @ 06/19/15 10:28 AM
How about did they fix the inability to change player when the ball is in the air?

# 16 razorkaos @ 06/21/15 07:53 PM
I just want to know if the manual control glitches were finally fixed. They are present since fifa 12, and stuff like not being able to switch players after a pass (to choose a better receiver instead of the intended one when defense comes up) is really annoying.

I'm reading and listening about how defense is improved this year, especially about teammate AI and The ability to "cancel" a slide tackle, but will these things be restricted to the best defenders or, like every year, we'll see a defender from an english third division team playing like Beckenbauer?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.