Home
Feature Article
MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

The MLB The Show 17 server issues persisted over the weekend, and many are starting to feel like there is no end in sight.

While server issues are a traditional problem with Sony and MLB The Show, last year it seemed like there was a lot of progress made towards a smoother playing experience. Unfortunately this year, it appears the series has indeed suffered a setback with the online play.

Last year, there were some rough days even a couple of weeks after launch as well, but the servers going down at the start of Easter weekend was a real low point (Sony did get them back up on the whole by Saturday). With that in mind, we thought it best to at least summarize the issues that have cropped up during this first month and sort of just encapsulate the whole saga to this point.

A Summary of the Issues

The servers for MLB The Show 17 have been shaky at best from the get-go.

On day one, the original issue was a missing access token for most users, which removed their ability to access online features. From there, gamers have experienced games from all facets of Diamond Dynasty (including Conquest, Battle Royale, and Head to Head Seasons games) going into a processing queue.

When this happens, it holds up stat-based missions for hours or even days -- assuming those stats end up registering at all, which sometimes they do not.

The community itself had a tipping point of sorts on April 4, when the first Event was scheduled. The scheduled start time was 3 p.m. EST. Prior to this, a previous test event’s rules were up and users could join the event with the test restrictions, though their games would not count.

The actual Event came around, but the test event’s rules still applied, which allowed for some players to play with stacked teams versus bronze-only players.

SDS quickly shut down the event and delayed it for 24 hours.

Since that first Event, the servers have gone down at least a couple of times while games continue to enter the processing queue, or are even lost completely.

The Community Reaction

Anger, frustration and exhaustion have marked the community reaction thus far.

Many users have taken to issuing personal attacks via social media at developers (side note: never do this), with some expressing frustration at the lack of clear communication from Sony throughout the first few weeks post-release. At this point, the feedback has continued to spiral downwards, with communication becoming toxic at points.

In other words, instead of constructive communication that could lead to better interaction and possibly even faster troubleshooting of issues, the community has devolved into what is the equivalent of screaming obscenities into a brick wall.

The hit to Sony due to the lack of communication will probably be longer lasting than the server issues by a good measure, and it's going to take a lot of honest and open communication in the future to repair some of the wounds and divides the community and Sony have with one another on this front.

When Will it Be Fixed?

As we exit Easter Weekend, server issues are still continuing for some users.

A new patch has been mentioned, but obviously it will need to to get through testing and certification before it can go out to users. Our own best guess at a best-case scenario for that situation may put a more stable online experience a week or two away. If that is the case, users will have gone a full month without a stable online experience in MLB The Show 17.

That is, of course, a gigantic problem because large portions of the game depend upon online connectivity -- even seemingly "offline" modes like Road to the Show. This has been a problem with other sports games as well, with NBA 2K also a notable source of online headaches in recent years.

Because of this, large portions of the game are at times unplayable for users. With the possibility that this instability could continue, it's hard to justify recommending MLB The Show 17 for a purchase right now. We need to see that the game is fully functional and stable again to more comfortably say the game is safe to pick up -- at least when it comes to recommending it to anyone who has an internet connection.

While the fundamentals of the game are arguably the best they’ve been on the field, the experience as a whole due to the server issues makes the game more frustrating than not as of now.

Member Comments
# 81 seasprite @ 04/21/17 12:47 AM
Online was a little better for me tonight. Played 4 BR games abd didn't drop once and all games counted. Little laggy but much better experience online for me tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app

# 82 mikeq672 @ 04/21/17 02:44 AM
Youre lucky, I played 6 play vs cpu games today, 5 went to die in the queue, one counted. This is just so unacceptable.

# 83 Dolenz @ 04/21/17 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Youre lucky, I played 6 play vs cpu games today, 5 went to die in the queue, one counted. This is just so unacceptable.

I have never had a Vs CPU game get lost in the queue. I have played that mode and Conquest exclusively. Conquest Stronghold games had issues getting lost but not Vs CPU. I usually had to close the game and reopen it though before I saw the stat missions update.

My biggest problem with CPU games is getting a Server disconnect message at the end. Those games are truly lost.

# 84 mikeq672 @ 04/21/17 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I have never had a Vs CPU game get lost in the queue. I have played that mode and Conquest exclusively. Conquest Stronghold games had issues getting lost but not Vs CPU. I usually had to close the game and reopen it though before I saw the stat missions update.

My biggest problem with CPU games is getting a Server disconnect message at the end. Those games are truly lost.
Happens to me on a daily basis

# 85 PPerfect_CJ @ 04/21/17 01:38 PM
So, if all I'll be playing is offline franchise, I should just disconnect from the internet before playing and I'll have no problems, right?

# 86 countryboy @ 04/21/17 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
So, if all I'll be playing is offline franchise, I should just disconnect from the internet before playing and I'll have no problems, right?
That is correct.

# 87 seasprite @ 04/21/17 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Pretty crazy, I haven't had a single game against the CPU get dropped or not count. Including play CPU and Conquest.

Don't take that as me saying I don't believe you or whatever, just posting my personal experience with it.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app

# 88 BigOscar @ 04/21/17 02:37 PM
When was the last time they actually communicated something about this? It's increasingly felling like they have just decided to ignore us and hope we go away

# 89 countryboy @ 04/21/17 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
When was the last time they actually communicated something about this? It's increasingly felling like they have just decided to ignore us and hope we go away
They released a statement that they were doing server maintenance either yesterday or day before through their facebook page.

# 90 kehlis @ 04/21/17 02:55 PM
Quote:

Three days ago they said on twitter there is no date yet for a fix and that they have some work to do.

# 91 BigOscar @ 04/21/17 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
They released a statement that they were doing server maintenance either yesterday or day before through their facebook page.
Does that mean anything? Seems like they've done that a few times and nothing has changed. Both twitter accounts seem to have gone pretty silent, for days on end. The note to the community was over a week ago now and nothing seems to have changed, they seem to selectively only respond to tweets asking about specific things, while dodging the problems.

Pretty fed up with their behaviour tbh, lots of games have problems but the lack of communication is pretty unacceptable(I've had kickstarters delayed for years, but the better ones at least try and regularly update you). They'll have to do something pretty spectacular in the next few weeks if I'm even going to consider getting next years game on release.

# 92 335TDC @ 04/21/17 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Three days ago they said on twitter there is no date yet for a fix and that they have some work to do.
I'm sure that SDS is mortified by what's going on with online, and I'm sure that they're working overtime to fix the issues. I continue to play the HELL out of Franchise, and I'm glad I bought the game.

8 days since "A Note to Our Community," though, I'm sure that SDS could have released a real apology with any throwaway update about how hard they continue to work on the issues. Simple PR crowd control.

# 93 countryboy @ 04/21/17 03:05 PM
Quote:
Does that mean anything? Seems like they've done that a few times and nothing has changed. Both twitter accounts seem to have gone pretty silent, for days on end. The note to the community was over a week ago now and nothing seems to have changed, they seem to selectively only respond to tweets asking about specific things, while dodging the problems.

Pretty fed up with their behaviour tbh, lots of games have problems but the lack of communication is pretty unacceptable(I've had kickstarters delayed for years, but the better ones at least try and regularly update you). They'll have to do something pretty spectacular in the next few weeks if I'm even going to consider getting next years game on release.
You asked a question and I answered.

But glad you got your platform to voice your displeasure.

# 94 djep @ 04/21/17 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
I'm sure that SDS is mortified by what's going on with online, and I'm sure that they're working overtime to fix the issues. I continue to play the HELL out of Franchise, and I'm glad I bought the game.

8 days since "A Note to Our Community," though, I'm sure that SDS could have released a real apology with any throwaway update about how hard they continue to work on the issues. Simple PR crowd control.
Beyond just being mortified they are losing out on a lot of ancillary revenue that these online modes generate. Now they will have to give out stubs or some other digital goodies just to make us whole again. As much as this is hurting us, they are hurting even worse.

# 95 Speedy @ 04/21/17 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
As much as this is hurting us, they are hurting even worse.
This is a great point.

# 96 MLB14 @ 04/21/17 03:29 PM
Quote:
Beyond just being mortified they are losing out on a lot of ancillary revenue that these online modes generate. Now they will have to give out stubs or some other digital goodies just to make us whole again. As much as this is hurting us, they are hurting even worse.
I think MLB 18 The Show may not even be or they may sell the game to another company..

# 97 Speedy @ 04/21/17 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
I think MLB 18 The Show may not even be or they may sell the game to another company..
That's just nonsense, my friend.

# 98 MLB14 @ 04/21/17 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
That's just nonsense, my friend.
Why does it seem so impossible? Their primary reason for creating the game is to make money.

If the game starts making them less money, then they can't afford to pay the people hired to make the game and that could lead to what I said.

And to support what I said about selling the game to another company, SDS needs a bigger crew workin' on this game. It's obvious at this point.

They stopped creating it for the Vita last year. I know it's basically a dead piece of hardware, but still.. I think it shows they're overworked.

# 99 335TDC @ 04/21/17 04:27 PM
Quote:
As much as this is hurting us, they are hurting even worse.
I think I'm pretty balanced in my take on this whole fiasco, but who is "us"? Because I'm an offline Franchise guy who bought the regular edition. I highly doubt SDS would be "hurting" more than me if I bought the $100 version to play DD exclusively, bought a whole bunch more stubs, and got disconnected from lots of my games, losing HOURS of my life.

Just saying.

# 100 335TDC @ 04/21/17 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
Why does it seem so impossible?

If the game starts making them less money, then they can't afford to pay the people hired to make the game and that could lead to what I said.
Impossible? No, but 99% unlikely to happen.

"Less" money in this case probably still means a HELLUVA lot more than they were ever making a few years ago before DD blew up. The revenue paradigm has shifted massively and irrevocably, and they'll be able to ride this out, bad press and all, while the stream keeps flowing, and almost all of us will STILL buy the game next year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.