Home

Coaching Legacy of Ray Bourbon

This is a discussion on Coaching Legacy of Ray Bourbon within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Coaching Legacy of Ray Bourbon

Bobcats Prove Too Much for Jacks

Bozeman, MT –

With less than five minutes left in their first road contest of the year, South Dakota State found themselves only down four after clawing their way back from a double digit deficit. However, that was as close as the Jacks would get as Montana State pulled away to a 68-56 victory.

The Bobcats were powered by four players in double digits, led by sophomore guard Reece Shimokaw, who went 4 for 5 from three point land.

“We just couldn’t stop them when it mattered,” said Coach Bourbon after the loss. “They had four guys all firing tonight, we didn’t have that.”

South Dakota was led by the two man show of Gerry Karangawa, who had 18, and Felipe Werner, who added 14 of his own. Clint Sargent was off after a solid game against Sacramento St. Sargent went 3-12 from the field and came away with only 8 points.

“Sometimes we get in this stride where we lean our big men a little too much,” admitted junior guard Michael Palarca. “All of us need to pitch in, not just our two big guys.”

One bright spot for the Jacks was the play of freshman center Warren Ward. Ward pulled down nine rebounds during his 13 minutes of game time.

The Jacks (2-2) will have a full week to recover before they travel down south for their next match-up against New Orleans (2-3).

Leaders

South Dakota State
G. Karangwa – 18 Points
F. Werner – 14 Points
W. Ward – 9 Rebounds

Montana State
R. Shimokawa – 16 Points
J. Hennessey – 15 Points, 6 Assists
E. Heard – 12 Points
B. Howard – 11 Points
Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
Pro

Just an update, this legacy isn't dead, my laptop just crashed and the updates will be back up and running once I get it back from HP. Hopefully that will be sooner rather then later.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
All Star

doncoryell's Arena

OVR: 20

Good luck with SDS but one question: why the side story with one of the players?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncoryell
Good luck with SDS but one question: why the side story with one of the players?
I am way late on this but my computer is back and running and I want to resurrect this legacy since I plan on continuing it.
About the side story, I want to make my legacy almost like a school paper, so I thought it would be interesting to include a side story or two here and there throughout the season.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Pro

Balanced Scoring Leads Jacks over New Orleans

NEW ORLEANS -

It was a far trip, but it was worth it. South Dakota State found consistent scoring from all parts of the floor as they pulled out a 62-56 victory against the New Orleans Privateers. Eleven of the twelve Jacks figured into the scoring for the victory.

“I love total team efforts,” said Coach Ray Bourbon after the win. “I think if we’re going to be competitive this year, we need to have more games like this.”

South Dakota was paced by their two big men, Gerry Karangwa and Felipe Werner, who both had 10 points. Sophomore guard Dale Moss and senior forward Mark Engen both added 8 of their own.

Privateers (2-5) forward Zygis Sykes led all scorers with 17, but it wasn’t enough to dodge a loss.

The one dark spot for Bourbon was Kai Williams, who was the only Jack to not score. Williams left the game midway through the first half after a collision with Privateers freshman Jaz Connolly. Bourbon said the injury occurred to Williams’s right foot.

“We don’t know if he broke a toe or it was a sprain right now,” said Bourbon. “We just got the ice straight on it and he’s actually getting some x-rays as we speak right now.”

South Dakota (3-2) will return home for a Saturday afternoon matchup at Frost Arena against Montana (3-5) before entering their first two Summit League contests.

Leaders

South Dakota State
F. Werner – 10 Points
G. Karangwa – 10 Points

New Orleans
Z. Sykes – 17 Points
Old 10-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Pro

Williams out Three to Four Weeks, Ward Day-to-Day

Brookings, SD –

Coach Bourbon confirmed today after practice that starting forward Kai Williams will miss the better part of a month with a broken toe.

“Kai’s got a fractured toe and he can’t go,” said Bourbon. “Expect to see [Josh] Cassaday to see some more minutes, but I also may go with a few different looks.”

Williams has averaged 5.4 points a game during Bourbon’s three year tenure with the Jacks.

Bourbon also stated that freshman center Warren Ward is suffering from a sprained wrist which he also sustained during the Jacks last contest with New Orleans. Ward will still dress and see the court, but Bourbon said he will take it easy on the freshman.

NCAA Top 10 (Media)
1 – Louisville (5-0)
2 – Duke (4-1)
3 – Connecticut (6-0)
4 –Mississippi St. (6-1)
5 – Arizona (7-1)
6 –Texas (5-1)
7 – Tennessee (6-1)
8 – North Carolina St. (3-1)
9 – Kentucky (4-0)
10 – USC (5-1)
Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Pro

Jacks top Montana at Home, But Lose Karangwa

Brookings, SD –

It was a bitter sweet victory as the Jacks left the court at Frost Arena with a 57-48 advantage over Montana. Yes, the Jacks pulled out a big win against an opponent who supposedly had a lot more talent than them, but the Jacks were leaving the arena without their main weapon, Gerry Karangwa.

“It doesn’t look good, it’s his achilles,” said Bourbon after the win. “To lose two starters in two games is huge, I almost feel like someone is going to wake me up from this bad dream.”

With Karangwa out of the game early, junior guard Michael Palarca led the Jacks with a career high 19 points. Felipe Werner added 16 of his own in the victory.

Again, the Jacks used great defense and benefited from a poor shooting night by Montana to power their way to victory.

South Dakota will now have five days before they take on IUPUI, their first Summit League opponent of this season. Coach Bourbon will have serious scheming to do as he will be without two cornerstones of his squad.

Leaders

South Dakota State
M. Palarca – 19 Points
F. Werner – 16 Points

Montana
J. Gibson – 7 Points, 4 Rebounds
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Pro

Karangwa: Out for Four Weeks

Brookings, SD –

Junior center Gerry Karangwa met with the media outside Frost Arena yesterday as news came out that he will miss the next four weeks of the season with a strained achilles.

“It’s unfortunate, any injury is,” said Karangwa. “Luckily it’s early enough that I should be back for the start of full conference play.”

Karangwa suffered the injury during South Dakota’s victory against Montana on Saturday afternoon.

Karangwa has averaged 15.5 points a game in his two year career with the Jacks. Last season he earned First–Team All Summit League honors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »