Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #5041
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
Ok, but it's not. This is completely about TV markets so why would the B12 add another Texas school, especially in the DFW area, when they already have TCU? And let's face it, TCU has been twice as successful as a program in this decade alone than SMU has been since the death penalty. It would be like buying a brand new Toyota Camry and then going back and buying a Ford Aerostar. You're not adding anything of value.

If they're adding a Texas school, it's Houston. And I'm not even sold on that possibility.

The Big 12 doesn't have its own network so TV markets don't play that big of a part. Besides whoever joins the Big 12 isn't getting an equal share of the pie. If say a school will forgo most if not all TV revenue for a few years that's how you get an invite.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #5042
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
The Big 12 doesn't have its own network so TV markets don't play that big of a part. Besides whoever joins the Big 12 isn't getting an equal share of the pie. If say a school will forgo most if not all TV revenue for a few years that's how you get an invite.

You do realize that not having their own network is why they're trying to reach new markets, right? Right now the B12 is trying to kill two birds with one stone: make the conference sustainable as a power conference and profit off of their existing deal with FOX/ESPN as much as possible. Also, FOX basically is the B12 Network as far as football goes, they have first choice of a minimum of six games and can pick up more due to ESPN being tied up with other contracts.

Also, let's get down to brass tacks: they're terrible at football and in the middle of sanctions in basketball, and don't even offer the consolation prize of baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@AdamdotH

Last edited by Watson; 07-27-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #5043
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
You do realize that not having their own network is why they're trying to reach new markets, right? Right now the B12 is trying to kill two birds with one stone: make the conference sustainable as a power conference and profit off of their existing deal with FOX/ESPN as much as possible. Also, FOX basically is the B12 Network as far as football goes, they have first choice of a minimum of six games and can pick up more due to ESPN being tied up with other contracts.

Also, let's get down to brass tacks: they're terrible at football and in the middle of sanctions in basketball, and don't even offer the consolation prize of baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Big12 wants to own DFW and they own a part of it but not all of it. The other conferences still play in DFW and if the ACC or Pac12 picked up SMU then the can start getting in that market share and recruits. Plus it's less travel money to go to Dallas.

SMU has the best academics and most money of the main schools that are left. They have the donors that are willing to step up. Which is why they had their $150 million announcement the other day.

Currently they are bad at football but Chad Morris is going to quickly change that and you can already tell that with recruiting. Basketball is basically done with its sanctions and they have a stacked team and a great coach for the next several years. SMU would probably add baseball if they joined and their other sports are all top notch.

You may think some of these reasons aren't very good and I didn't go into every reason but their have been talks that I won't go into. I didn't start this conversation for no reason. Like I said I'm not saying it's going to happen because anything can happen but don't be surprised.

Last edited by dickey1331; 07-27-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #5044
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
The Big12 wants to own DFW and they own a part of it but not all of it. The other conferences still play in DFW and if the ACC or Pac12 picked up SMU then the can start getting in that market share and recruits. Plus it's less travel money to go to Dallas.
They already play a game there yearly- the RRR. They already own DFW. I'd be willing to bet that the Oklahoma and Texas schools rule the roost for TV ratings in Dallas, which is all that matters. Adding another school in that area is redundant.

Quote:
SMU has the best academics and most money of the main schools that are left. They have the donors that are willing to step up. Which is why they had their $150 million announcement the other day.
Where'd you get this money/academics line from? I'd put BYU up against SMU in those respects and they have a national brand that's instantly recognizable whether you're Mormon or not.

Quote:
Currently they are bad at football but Chad Morris is going to quickly change that and you can already tell that with recruiting. Basketball is basically done with its sanctions and they have a stacked team and a great coach for the next several years. SMU would probably add baseball if they joined and their other sports are all top notch.
Larry Brown is not there any longer if that's who you were referring to and I'm quite sure that their replacement won't be quite as good as he was.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #5045
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem
They already play a game there yearly- the RRR. They already own DFW. I'd be willing to bet that the Oklahoma and Texas schools rule the roost for TV ratings in Dallas, which is all that matters. Adding another school in that area is redundant.

Where'd you get this money/academics line from? I'd put BYU up against SMU in those respects and they have a national brand that's instantly recognizable whether you're Mormon or not.

Larry Brown is not there any longer if that's who you were referring to and I'm quite sure that their replacement won't be quite as good as he was.

The Big12 doesn't own DFW.

SMU is ranked 61 and BYU is ranked 66. SMU has an endowment of $1.5 billion and I'm not sure what BYUs is. Also BYU would only join the Big12 for football only and from my understanding the Big12 doesn't want that.

Tim Jankovich is the replacement for Larry Brown. Sure he's no Larry Brown but most of the kids there now are there because of Jank and his assistants. Larry was mainly the closer when they needed him.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #5046
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
The Big12 doesn't own DFW.

SMU is ranked 61 and BYU is ranked 66. SMU has an endowment of $1.5 billion and I'm not sure what BYUs is. Also BYU would only join the Big12 for football only and from my understanding the Big12 doesn't want that.

Tim Jankovich is the replacement for Larry Brown. Sure he's no Larry Brown but most of the kids there now are there because of Jank and his assistants. Larry was mainly the closer when they needed him.
Again, where are you pulling those academic numbers from?

Who does own DFW then? The league with all the schools a relatively short distance away or some other league with at most, one other school in the state of Texas?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #5047
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

TCU's 2015 average FBS game rating: 2.896
SMU's 2015 average FBS game rating: .215

Quote:
Who does own DFW then?
North Texas obviously

@AdamdotH
Old 07-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #5048
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

Quote:
Again, where are you pulling those academic numbers from?

Who does own DFW then? The league with all the schools a relatively short distance away or some other league with at most, one other school in the state of Texas?

US news report each year ranks the schools. It's pretty easy to find out a schools endowment. There's a whole Wikipedia page about it too.

I don't know if you've ever been to DFW but that's my hometown and sure the Big12 has the largest percentage of fans but they don't own the town. You'd be surprised how many alums of the other leagues live in DFW.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »