Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #3369
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: College Football Off Topic

I feel like every few months we entertain this "canes21 hates SEC bias" thing. It could just be my imagination.

You should just start copying and pasting next time

Last edited by AUChase; 10-29-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:48 AM   #3370
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase
I feel like every few months we entertain this "canes21 hates SEC bias" thing. It could just be my imagination.

You should just start copying and pasting next time
Must be your imagination. I don't recall having this argument on here before. Hey, it could be just my imagination. I mean, I am kind of delusional since I believe there are just as many good teams in other conferences that get overlooked because of their conference. Everyone preaches eye test, but then they dismiss the eye test when teams like Oregon are clearly better than anyone in the SEC on offense. People like to say the SEC deserves the bias it gets because of their past titles, yet they like to talk about how FSU doesn't deserve the #1 spot because their title is in the past and so are half the games in their near 30 game win streak.

All I try to point out is that the double standards and bias are ridiculous and dumb and that the rankings create one big cycle that is silly. Alabama is ranked so high because they have a "good loss" to Ole Miss while Ole Miss is still ranked so high because they beat Bama. It's a dumb cycle that only exists in the SEC and results in these teams staying in the top spots even when there are other deserving teams.

Auburn gets blown out by Miss St and it is considered a good loss and they are ranked 3rd. ND loses to FSU in a great game by 4 points and they are 10th? Ole Miss is ranked ahead of Oregon despite Oregon destroying a top 10 team and losing to an even higher ranked team than LSU? Ole Miss looked terrible against LSU and definitely not like a top 10 team. I give credit to LSU in the way they played and kept pounding the ball, but Ole Miss did not look like a good team at all and it wasn't only because of LSU. TCU is ranked 7th despite their loss being on the road and by one possession to the 13th team in the nation?

Do you see all of the double standards and why people around the nation are upset with the ridiculous bias? That Rolling Stone article had some great examples. FSU was criticized for only beating Wake Forest by 40 because they slowed down the game in the 2nd half and didn't run up the score. Georgia was praised for beating a Tennessee team that has as many wins in the last 8 years as FSU does in a row right now. Oklahoma exposed Tennessee and that game was not really a ball game at all, yet ESPN would lead you to believe that Tennessee let one slip away from them.

I get that Alabama has a win over #20 WVU. It wasn't a pretty win, but it was a win. Does that one win really give them enough reason to be ranked 6th? I've watched every single Alabama game start to finish this year. They are good, but right now, ranking them 6th is being very generous. I've watched every Tennessee game this year. Giving anyone credit for beating UT by 3 is a joke. Tennessee has one of the worst offenses in the power 5 if not college football. Dobbs did bring life to the offense, but that line is just bad. I've watched all, but 2 games for Georgia and South Carolina this year. Georgia is a pretty good team, I don't know about 11th. They did lose to a a pretty bad South Carolina team. I've watched 4 or 5 of Florida's games. They are terrible. I've watched 4 Arkansas games. They are not good either. There is a reason they still don't have that conference win. I've watched A&M only a couple of times this year and they really are barely above Florida. I won't be surprised to see them go 6-6. I've only seen 3 or 4 of Auburn's games this year. They are not as good as they were last year. They can still compete for the West, but I don't see them getting it. I'm set on Alabama winning the SEC championship. I've seen 3 LSU games(UF, Ole Miss, and Miss St), even with the win against Ole Miss, I am not sold on them. Ole Miss played soooo bad, but a big part of it was that defense for LSU looking like the old LSU defenses we're accustomed to seeing with Les. However, that offense is bad. They may have made it to a title before with a terrible offense, but I just don't see them even making the SEC championship with that offense. It is not clicking for them yet. I will give them credit for keeping with the run though. That plan could have backfired. Ole Miss was missing a few key players on defense for that game and LSU still just was not good on offense.

My point is I am not just someone blindly hating. I live right in the middle of SEC country. Just about every Saturday I am surrounded by a bunch of Alabama, USC, and FSU fans with 4-6 TV's on. I see more SEC football than just about anyone. I know these teams are good and I don't deny it, but I know that no one in the SEC is elite right now like those Alabama teams in their run. The SEC could very well win the title and I won't be surprised, but the ridiculous bias and double standards just need to go. They are hurting one of the best regular seasons of college football in a long time. There are plenty of teams like Oregon, Michigan State, FSU, TCU, K-State, and Notre Dame that are as good as anyone in the SEC that are being overlooked constantly. There is no reason at all Notre Dame should be ranked 10th. I hate Notre Dame with a passion and wish they'd lose every game for the rest of time, but even I understand they are a good team this year. I've watched them play all year. Golson doesn't know how to hold onto a football half the time, but that defense is legit. I don't know if people are still weary after the 2012 debacle, but this ND team is there this time.

I don't want to be the guy on here that constantly bashes the SEC and comes off as a huge *****. I can see why some would take it that way. I don't hate the SEC. If I did, there's no way I'd be watching just about every single SEC each and every week. I fall asleep nearly every night after watching whatever SEC games they are showing at 1 in the morning. I've seen the majority of SEC games played. I've seen a lot of them multiple times. I know the conference has plenty of talent, but it gets blown out of proportion so much that there are so many good and deserving teams out there that are receiving none of the respect they deserve and it's a shame. Oregon still is out of the playoffs for now even though I truly believe with Fisher back, they might be unstoppable.

― Plato
Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #3371
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Auburn is No.3 and Ole Miss is 4. The Selection Committee is absolutely insane.
Who would you put above them?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #3372
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I was happy to see Auburn in the 3 spot because that gives me hope that as long as they win the rest of their games they should be in the playoff regardless if Miss St wins out and plays in the SEC Championship game. It's a tough road for Auburn winning at Ole Miss, Georgia, and Bama, but at least there is hope that the one loss to Miss St doesn't remove them from the playoff picture even if Miss St wins out. Also, now I don't have to cheer for Bama to beat Miss St in a few weeks.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 10-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #3373
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
Who would you put above them?
I am assuming you are asking this as a general question and not looking for only his answer. In that case, I would definitely put Oregon up there. Oregon's loss was not a blowout and was with a key injury. Oregon is easily better than either team on offense by a long shot. Has both teams beat at the QB position, if not every team in the nation.

For #4 I have to go Notre Dame. The fact they are #10 is hilarious. What did they do to deserve that? Lose to the defending national champion on the road by 4 points? If there is anything called a quality loss, Notre Dame has the best loss in the entire nation easily. Like I stated before, their defense is the real deal this year and would run circles around their 2012 group. And besides Golson's fumble problems, which have definitely improved, the offense is not bad either.

Both of those teams are better than Auburn or Ole Miss in my opinion. With Fisher back, Oregon is unstoppable on offense. It's easily the best in the nation. Notre Dame has a great defense that rivals anyone in the nation and I think you could argue they have just as good if not better offenses than either of those two teams. Notre Dame and Oregon also have the better two QB's in the discussion which is a pretty big factor as well. Bo Wallace has more interceptions this year than Mariotta has in the last 3 years. Bo is a double digit pick machine each season and this year is no different.

― Plato
Old 10-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #3374
Pro

jackster802's Arena

OVR: 0
College Football Off Topic

I think TCU deserves more credit because their only loss came against a really good Baylor team in a game that was decided by a bad pass interference call. I don't like how refs can change games like that.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #3375
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I am assuming you are asking this as a general question and not looking for only his answer. In that case, I would definitely put Oregon up there. Oregon's loss was not a blowout and was with a key injury. Oregon is easily better than either team on offense by a long shot. Has both teams beat at the QB position, if not every team in the nation.

For #4 I have to go Notre Dame. The fact they are #10 is hilarious. What did they do to deserve that? Lose to the defending national champion on the road by 4 points? If there is anything called a quality loss, Notre Dame has the best loss in the entire nation easily. Like I stated before, their defense is the real deal this year and would run circles around their 2012 group. And besides Golson's fumble problems, which have definitely improved, the offense is not bad either.

Both of those teams are better than Auburn or Ole Miss in my opinion. With Fisher back, Oregon is unstoppable on offense. It's easily the best in the nation. Notre Dame has a great defense that rivals anyone in the nation and I think you could argue they have just as good if not better offenses than either of those two teams. Notre Dame and Oregon also have the better two QB's in the discussion which is a pretty big factor as well. Bo Wallace has more interceptions this year than Mariotta has in the last 3 years. Bo is a double digit pick machine each season and this year is no different.

How many years in a row has the "unstoppable Oregon offense" been stopped at least a couple times now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #3376
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

Was really waiting on him to say Roll Tide.

As for your response, I will disagree that ND is better or even as good as Auburn or Ole Miss. I would put Oregon ahead of Ole Miss, but Oregon would do what they do just about ever year and drop a game to someone they really shouldn't. Also, there's not a single offense in the country that is unstoppable and without a really good defense, that offense will only get you so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »