Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #3361

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Auburn is No.3 and Ole Miss is 4. The Selection Committee is absolutely insane.
Insane?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #3362
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

No issues with 1-3. From that point, it's gets fuzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #3363
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

They were tough on ND. Makes no sense since I guarantee they'd be 2nd had they won that FSU game, but I guess you don't get points for good losses.

I actually agree with the top 4 though. Ole Miss is the only iffy one but other than Oregon I'm not sure who else you put there. Glad the committee seems to be putting emphasis on head to head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #3364
War Eagle

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

It's Oct 28th people. No need to get antsy over this.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #3365
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

One thing that stands out from that article that I find wrong is the "SEC is on decline" mess. The argument has always been that it's a two-three team league by outsiders and now there's arguably 4 legitimate teams in just the SEC West.

I think it's just as strong, if not a stronger league now with a fair amount of parity. The West is definitely keeping the East afloat, though. I could see Kentucky winning that ****ing division next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #3366
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

I remember reading somewhere that the committee wanted to break from previous polling systems and not necessarily drop teams multiple spots just because they lose a game or penalize teams just because they happened to lose later in the year.

Ole Miss at #4 jives with that.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #3367
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
I remember reading somewhere that the committee wanted to break from previous polling systems and not necessarily drop teams multiple spots just because they lose a game or penalize teams just because they happened to lose later in the year.

Ole Miss at #4 jives with that.
Notre Dame kind of goes against it though. Sure they are 10th, but they lost a close game to the number 2 team on the road. They definitely deserve to be in the top 6.

I don't really like the rankings right now. I find them pretty bad. They should, however, become better looking as time goes on and more teams play each other.

I also find it pretty disrespecting to Marshall that the committee doesn't even have them ranked. 8-0 and unranked? They deserve to be at least top 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
Stats dont lie? Dont you know that it doesnt count if you play a ranked team from your own conference?
Stats do tell the truth and stats do lie fairly often. I don't even know why Miami's schedule is being brought up though. And when they were brought up, Crimson was wrong. 4 teams on Miami's schedule is ranked right now by the committee, and 3 teams were ranked by the other polls at the time of his post and there is no reason to believe they wouldn't all finish ranked as Duke should win out, and FSU and Nebraska are top 15 and aren't going anywhere it looks like.

However, I don't exactly think you can bring rankings into the discussion because they are a part of the overratedness that is being argued. No one is claiming the SEC isn't the best conference. I can admit they are and also call them overrated. Those terms are not mutually exclusive.

You can bring up the fact that the SEC won 7 straight titles and there is no denying it That is a straight fact. At the same time, winning a title does not automatically mean your conference is 10 teams deep. The SEC has been and still is a very top heavy league. While other conferences have been putting out 1 or 2 title contenders each year, the SEC puts out 3 and might be 4 this year(though I am still not sold on Miss St or AU, and I was Ole Miss until I saw them look pretty bad against LSU). I admit all of that. They are putting out a couple better teams than everyone else is. But after that, the SEC is no better than anyone else.

That is all I am trying to say. At the top, yes the SEC is very good. And yes, the SEC is deeper at the top by a team or two every year. However, I cannot say yes that the SEC is also a league above with their middle of the pack teams because it is simply not true. Winning a title doesn't make your conference amazing. FSU won last year and the ACC the last two years has been bad by even its own standards despite having 11 bowl teams last year.

The SEC won 7 titles, yet 5 were by two schools. One was Alabama who had an absolute dynasty that will likely never be repeated by anyone. Their dynasty rivals any teams dominance in history. They may not have put out the best collegiate teams of all time, but they definitely are up there. And then Florida also has a couple of those titles and I don't think I need to let you know Florida is awful and would be awful in any league.

This probably won't really do much at all for the argument. We're not going to convince each other of anything. I believe the SEC is the best conference, yet still overrated. I believe they get favorable rankings in the preseason that definitely play into the overratedness. And the cycles only repeats.

If USC stays unranked this year, that will be the 8th straight year we've had a preseason top 10 team finish unranked if I am remembering correctly. When the polls are wrong, the team that was overrated to start the year usually is out of the rankings and finishes where they deserved, but where the polls put so much emphasis rankings at the time of the matchup, the winning team is always rewarded 10x more than they deserve.

Mississippi State is a prime example of this. Their 3 game stretch of top 10 teams is really not that impressive compared to how everyone was acting when they first were going through it. LSU may be turning the corner, but right now they are still looking like they aren't the normal LSU and the Ole Miss win is their best win and it also is a game that makes Ole Miss a big question mark. A&M needs no explanation, they are just a bad team. Auburn is their best win and outside of K-State Auburn has played nobody worth mentioning. And even then, they were outplayed and lucky to get that win against K-State because K-State was definitely the better team in every aspect except for having a decent K who didn't leave 9 or 12 points on the field.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 10-28-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #3368
War Eagle

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Barry Alvarez and Tom Osborne are such SEC homers.

Disgusting.

😝

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »