Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #3329
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Chris Fowler got a little heated today talking about the idea of a SEC bias on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11760500
Brent Musberger just now during the Auburn/South Carolina game:

"Someone said we have SEC bias. Deal with it, they're the best."

Well then.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #3330
Heyoka.

EUBlink's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Brent Musberger just now during the Auburn/South Carolina game:

"Someone said we have SEC bias. Deal with it, they're the best."

Well then.
Until it's proven otherwise by another conference (and not just FSU beating Auburn in one game), I'd say he's right. That's subjective and arguable, of course, but look at it from their point-of-view. No matter their response, folks are going to continue to say they're playing favoritism. Additionally, he's an announcer for the SEC Network.

I heard multiple times during the Oregon game how they were, all-around, the best one-loss team in the nation... as Cal put up 41 points and 560 yards on their defense.

Fact of the matter is, they say and do what's best for business. Right now, conference butt-hurt discussion are a hot topic. Stir the pot and ride the wave.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #3331
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUBlink
Until it's proven otherwise by another conference (and not just FSU beating Auburn in one game), I'd say he's right. That's subjective and arguable, of course, but look at it from their point-of-view. No matter their response, folks are going to continue to say they're playing favoritism. Additionally, he's an announcer for the SEC Network.

I heard multiple times during the Oregon game how they were, all-around, the best one-loss team in the nation... as Cal put up 41 points and 560 yards on their defense.

Fact of the matter is, they say and do what's best for business. Right now, conference butt-hurt discussion are a hot topic. Stir the pot and ride the wave.
I don't think anyone denies the fact that the SEC is generally top heavy with great teams. It's the idea that the SEC is also loaded at the bottom and SEC fans act like Arkansas would be undefeated in any other conference. Or they act like they deserve every benefit of the doubt because of their conference.

I realize that the SEC is putting out 3 of the top 10 or 12 teams every single year and do not deny that one bit. But I also realize that other conferences have just as good teams at the top like the PAC 12 for example. It's just if USC had beaten Auburn tonight we'd be hearing about how deep the SEC is, but if M(ichigan)SU gets upset by someone in their conference, it is proof that the BIG 10 is just not that good and MSU was a fraud.

The SEC is probably the best conference, but only because they may put out one more great team than the other conferences, but other than that it isn't a huge margin like ESPN wants you to think. I only get annoyed with the double standards and comments like how Tennessee would be 9-3 in the ACC every year when that is a joke because teams like Tennessee, Arkansas, Vandy would be bad in any power 5 conference.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2014, 02:25 AM   #3332
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

Like everything else, it comes down to money. They have a huge investment in the SEC Network so of course they are going to promote the SEC any and every chance they get. Some warranted, some not so much.

Same thing with all the Jameis Winston coverage and stories. It generates views on their network and clicks on their website. Once FSU loses and/or he leaves, all of that will go away. Johnny Football created the same stir last year with the mothership reporting everything he did.

ESPN is protecting their investment by propping up SEC. Is it annoying to nonSEC fans, yes, but it will continue until their investment pays off. Unlike the ESPN backed Longhorn Network, it's a whole lot easier to promote an entire conference network over an individual school. Especially when you factor in the other major sports that have handed out championship trophies to SEC schools over the last several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #3333
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #3334
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Damn it, I'm pissed the TCU/WVU game is on at 3:30. I really thought that would be a night game with Gameday there and all. Fortunately, it's on ABC, so I guess I'll be able to turn to ESPN3 to watch it when I get off work. (I would have been able to see the whole game if it had started at 7 PM or later)
Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #3335
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I don't think anyone denies the fact that the SEC is generally top heavy with great teams. It's the idea that the SEC is also loaded at the bottom and SEC fans act like Arkansas would be undefeated in any other conference. Or they act like they deserve every benefit of the doubt because of their conference.

I realize that the SEC is putting out 3 of the top 10 or 12 teams every single year and do not deny that one bit. But I also realize that other conferences have just as good teams at the top like the PAC 12 for example. It's just if USC had beaten Auburn tonight we'd be hearing about how deep the SEC is, but if M(ichigan)SU gets upset by someone in their conference, it is proof that the BIG 10 is just not that good and MSU was a fraud.

The SEC is probably the best conference, but only because they may put out one more great team than the other conferences, but other than that it isn't a huge margin like ESPN wants you to think. I only get annoyed with the double standards and comments like how Tennessee would be 9-3 in the ACC every year when that is a joke because teams like Tennessee, Arkansas, Vandy would be bad in any power 5 conference.
Are you serious? The reason the SEC always gets the attention about being the best is because for darn near the last decade they have been. Its not some blatant trolling, the SEC has won 7 out of the last 8 National Championships and Auburn represented the SEC in the one loss they had.

As soon as you see the Big 10, Pac 10-12 whatever, ACC, or any other conference win 7 out 8 MNCs in a row, then people will start talking about them too.

The SEC has been dominate recently, that cant even be argued. No other conference or fanbase can claim otherwise.

At the end of the day, if you want the SEC chest thumping stop by fans or the media....BEAT THEM consistently. Its not rocket science. The media hangs on to whats popular at the time, and right now its the SEC. Next decade it could very well be a different conference, who cares.

And for the record, I don't care about the "most powerful conference" title.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #3336
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Are you serious? The reason the SEC always gets the attention about being the best is because for darn near the last decade they have been. Its not some blatant trolling, the SEC has won 7 out of the last 8 National Championships and Auburn represented the SEC in the one loss they had.

As soon as you see the Big 10, Pac 10-12 whatever, ACC, or any other conference win 7 out 8 MNCs in a row, then people will start talking about them too.

The SEC has been dominate recently, that cant even be argued. No other conference or fanbase can claim otherwise.

At the end of the day, if you want the SEC chest thumping stop by fans or the media....BEAT THEM consistently. Its not rocket science. The media hangs on to whats popular at the time, and right now its the SEC. Next decade it could very well be a different conference, who cares.

And for the record, I don't care about the "most powerful conference" title.
Did you even read what I said? I never denied at the top the SEC puts out 3 or 4 great teams a year compared to the other power 5 putting out 1 or 2 great teams a year. That wasn't my point at all.

I was just pointing out the SEC homers always act like any SEC team would be 12-0 in every other conference. I have a bit of news for you. Arkansas, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mizzou, South Carolina all would be middle of the pack teams in the other power conferences as well.

Once SEC fans stop acting like they field the best 14 teams nationally, people will stop getting so annoyed. No one denies the SEC is as deeper than anyone 1-4 in their conference, but after that the SEC homers become so delusional that they really feel like UT and the other teams in the middle of the pack or lower in the conference would be winning the other power 5 conferences every year. That's just a joke and where a lot of the annoyance comes from, at least with me.

It's also annoying that the SEC has had jokes of OOC schedules the past decade because they fall back on their whole idea that the SEC is just so deep there is no need to schedule a tough OOC schedule. If UT upsets Bama, it is evidence that the SEC is just so deep. If Miami upsets FSU it is eveidence the ACC is a joke. Do you see the double standard there? Do you understand why it is annoying now? Do you actually get my point this time?

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »