Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #8721
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: College Football Off Topic

If anybody is wondering, the B1G has an affinity for members of the Association of American Universities (AAU). Each conference member is a member or former member (Nebraska) of the AAU.

Here is a list of AAU members who might be able to get into the B1G by checking off that component:

ACC
Duke
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Pitt
Virginia

BIG XII
Iowa State*
Kansas

PAC-12
Arizona
Cal
Colorado
Oregon
Stanford
Utah
Washington

*withdrew from AAU earlier this year

Now, I'm not saying the B1G would turn down Notre Dame or any other big college football programs if they wanted to join. The AAU membership is just a common component for each B1G member.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #8722
Rookie

OVR: 0

I’m not sure what is going to happen in this round of expansion, but does anyone else see a situation for the next round where the 16 most powerful teams just create their own conference and make the rest of College Football and possibly basketball irrelevant. Will the Texas’s, Ohio State’s, Alabama’s decide playing “little sister of the poor” programs like Vanderbilt, Minnesota, and Kentucky are costing them revenue and create the super mega conference? I’m sure ESPN and the other major networks would love it, but that would truly destroy college football as we know it.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #8723
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
If anybody is wondering, the B1G has an affinity for members of the Association of American Universities (AAU). Each conference member is a member or former member (Nebraska) of the AAU.

Here is a list of AAU members who might be able to get into the B1G by checking off that component:

ACC
Duke
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Pitt
Virginia

BIG XII
Iowa State*
Kansas

PAC-12
Arizona
Cal
Colorado
Oregon
Stanford
Utah
Washington

*withdrew from AAU earlier this year

Now, I'm not saying the B1G would turn down Notre Dame or any other big college football programs if they wanted to join. The AAU membership is just a common component for each B1G member.
Syracuse is also an ex-member; I believe the left about the same time as Nebraska was given the boot.

Considering Notre Dame is in the Big10 for hockey, I'm confident that an exception would be made. That said, I doubt the Big10 would make an exception for anyone else.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:18 PM   #8724
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGoodjob
Even though I hate the direction it's going I think College Football will be fine. There is going to be an even bigger disparity between the Super Conferences and the rest but inside those Super Conferences I think it will be competitive and have big matchups every week. One of the things to look forward to in the Big Ten (if they add more Pac-12 teams) is that you will get more (formerly) OOC games between the old Pac-12 teams and the Big Ten.

We go into every season with only a handful of teams having a realistic shot to make the playoffs, so making their conferences more difficult is a positive to me. It just sucks that they're killing some programs and tradition in the process.
There will only be 2 conferences. They could then get rid of them and move to 1 leadership or stay the same. Then have 4-8 team from the 24 team conferences make up the playoffs. Going forward I would love for some of the bottom teams being removed from the current conferences but I don't see any teams being removed from the current 2 leading conferences.

The challenge is the conference commissioners are used to having power and they are going to easily give that up. The NIL will get rid of the NCAA leadership but I don't know if it will fully reorganize or just go to the 2 conferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Syracuse is also an ex-member; I believe the left about the same time as Nebraska was given the boot.

Considering Notre Dame is in the Big10 for hockey, I'm confident that an exception would be made. That said, I doubt the Big10 would make an exception for anyone else.
They would do it for the money we are talking about. Also they can't get left out and let the SEC take over.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Last edited by p_rushing; 07-03-2022 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #8725
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
They would do it for the money we are talking about. Also they can't get left out and let the SEC take over.
I don't see many big brands left available that aren't AAU. Maybe Clemson, FSU and Miami? They'd be more likely to go to the SEC anyways. Adding teams just to add teams just dilutes the money each team gets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2022, 06:34 PM   #8726
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
I don't see many big brands left available that aren't AAU. Maybe Clemson, FSU and Miami? They'd be more likely to go to the SEC anyways. Adding teams just to add teams just dilutes the money each team gets.
I'd give it equal chances Miami goes Big Ten or SEC at this point. I know for a fact the university and Big Ten have had some serious talks in recent months and things look favorable, certain dominoes with the ACC need to fall first.

As a fan, I'm fine with either conference. I probably lean more Big Ten at the moment because I think Miami has more in common with some current and future schools there, but I think they'd fit fine in either conference really, especially now that things have changed drastically within the infrastructure of the school.

That Big Ten grant money would be hard to say no to if you were a Miami decision maker, though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 07-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #8727
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I'd give it equal chances Miami goes Big Ten or SEC at this point. I know for a fact the university and Big Ten have had some serious talks in recent months and things look favorable, certain dominoes with the ACC need to fall first.

As a fan, I'm fine with either conference. I probably lean more Big Ten at the moment because I think Miami has more in common with some current and future schools there, but I think they'd fit fine in either conference really, especially now that things have changed drastically within the infrastructure of the school.

That Big Ten grant money would be hard to say no to if you were a Miami decision maker, though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Rumors are FSU, Clemson, and UM to SEC. ND goes to Big Ten and probably take UVA, UNC, and GT. Then they add the rest of the West coast teams they want.

SEC would probably take VTech, UL, and NCST plus whatever left of the Big12 they wanted.

I could see UM going either way but I doubt the SEC wants to allow the Big Ten into FL and UM has a large fan base outside of FL. I just hope the ACC goes away ASAP because FSU, UM, and Clemson can't compete losing all that money.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #8728
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Apparently it takes eight votes to waive the ACC grant of rights agreement, i.e. to waive the draconian conference exit buyout. Recall that Maryland paid a ridiculous fee to leave the ACC for the B1G last decade.

I wonder if we see a rather drastic (and possibly lawsuit invoking) move where eight schools simultaneously leave for the Big Ten and SEC in whatever combination.

And honestly? If I were the ACC commissioner, it might be in the best interests of the members of the conference to call up the SEC and B1G commissioners to try to start negotiating landing spots for all 14 members now. The tide is clearly turning towards two super conferences, might as well embrace it and try to secure the financial futures of your conference’s members. It would take a serious amount of selflessness as the ACC commissioner would essentially be negotiating the elimination of his job, but it is probably his fiduciary duty to the member institutions to at least entertain the conversation.

It also might be in the two super conferences’ best interests to absorb the entire ACC now, if it is willing to totally dissolve. For the SEC, it is probably worth it to take Wake Forest and NC State if it means you also get Clemson, FSU, and Miami. Similarly, it might be worth it to the B1G to allow Syracuse and Boston College in if it also means securing North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia (which, not that basketball is driving the bus here but Duke is literally the only college basketball team that matters, speaking to TV eyeballs, and by adding those three teams suddenly the B1G is easily the best college basketball league).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »