Home

Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

This is a discussion on Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #113
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettford
You are missing the point. Don't get caught up in the analogy.

The point is: we are levying a harsh punishment on people who had nothing to do with this.

You want to punish the football program because the bad people here were involved with the football team?

If a murderer walks into a building and kills somebody, should we tear down the building?

I am completely confused what this scandal has to do with the people at Penn State who had no involvement in said scandal.
My point is all sanctions do that. If you're against punishing innocent people, you are against all sanctions.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #114
Rookie

brettford's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Unfortunately this happens in business all the time, See Enron for example. Ask them people where are their stock options are.

Again this is about entire university not just football program. actually if this was just staff from university prob wouldn't be as bad, but since head coach had known bout situation since 98 never said or did anything bout nor did his superiors it affects the football team by association. Merely because football events and activities were involved
That's what we did here.

When Enron happened tons of innocent people lost their stock options and saw their careers derailed.

When Penn State happened, we could have punished only the guilty parties and allowed everyone else to retain their stock options.

But instead we decided to take their stock options anyway.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #115
Bearer of the curse

Pokes's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

Quote:
That's what we did here.

When Enron happened tons of innocent people lost their stock options and saw their careers derailed.

When Penn State happened, we could have punished only the guilty parties and allowed everyone else to retain their stock options.

But instead we decided to take their stock options anyway.
I understand what you are saying, but this is a bad analogy.

NCAA: Oklahoma State Cowboys - Michigan Wolverines
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: Houston Rockets
MLB: Houston Astros
PSN: Kaiserwilson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #116
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
You are missing the point. Don't get caught up in the analogy.

The point is: we are levying a harsh punishment on people who had nothing to do with this.

You want to punish the football program because the bad people here were involved with the football team?

If a murderer walks into a building and kills somebody, should we tear down the building?

I am completely confused what this scandal has to do with the people at Penn State who had no involvement in said scandal.
The "issue" is bigger than those players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #117
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
So the same starters will be starters at the university of their choosing? If they all get that right, then that would be one thing. It's hard on a kid to go to a completely new place with new faces in a new environment and get a starting job on an established team.
Why does this keep being a talking point about fairness to current players. Pretty fair for them to continue playing under scholarship or go elsewhere should they choose.

Since when has it became a RIGHT to be a starter, much less play on a certain team just because you feel destined to play for them.... Go elsewhere and earn a starting job - It's not a right to be a started everywhere just because one is a starter at Penn State..

And they DON'T HAVE to transfer, they can stay under scholarship at Penn State and play a full regular season schedule just like any other year.

If in your words, it's tough going to new environment, new players, new faces for kids who have played high level football their whole life and are young men 18-24 in excellent shape then please allow me to put put TOUGH into context for you. TOUGH is being a young kid and getting raped by a football coach of a University and having that innocence taken away forever. And having to watch a "moral" coach and program cover it up 10+ years while the kid has to deal with their own demons because of the crime... That's TOUGH.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #118
Rookie

OVR: 3
The amount of minimizing the situation going on by PSU fans is pathetic.

This wasn't just a guy raping kids and finally getting caught after some suspicions weren't acted on soon enough. This was a full blown conspircacy to cover up his crimes and give Sandusky the OK to continue to rape kids within the football program's protection for over a decade.

They deserved every penalty they got.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #119
Bearer of the curse

Pokes's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
The "issue" is bigger than those players.
This issue is also bigger than PSU.

NCAA: Oklahoma State Cowboys - Michigan Wolverines
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: Houston Rockets
MLB: Houston Astros
PSN: Kaiserwilson
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #120
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
And what if they don't? Just because you wish for something to happen doesn't mean that it will. One person does not make an exodus. Now, if it happens that most of the team leaves, then the word has merit.
Then I'll be wrong. But I expect it to happen. People often have the ability to intuit and make reasonable inferences based on the circumstances. I think many if not most of PSU's 2013 class will decommit. So I'm making a statement on that. I'm flattered you are so concerned with my word choice.

Oh, and I definitely don't "wish" for it to happen, but cute attempt at undercutting my point.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »