Home

Sound Off: Time To Slow Down College Offenses?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Time To Slow Down College Offenses? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #33
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Sound Off: Time To Slow Down College Offenses?

Would be funny to see those who are for this rule, what team they root for.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #34
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

My Oregon alum status aside, I just think the innovation of speed and tempo has been good for the game. I'm not even talking about the Ducks here. Running these sorts of offenses has allowed a narrowing of the gap between teams that would otherwise never make up the talent differential. College football is more competitive because of this, and I think a better product.

It was fantastic seeing what Auburn did this past year. Hell of an exciting run, and part of which was predicated on quick offensive tempo. Just feels like Nick Saban and Brett Bielema are being crusty. I mean I can see if there was a good deal more unanimity among coaches of all offensive backgrounds, but it's pretty clear who the detractors are here. Why should we change the rule because Nick Saban says something about safety?

Instead of changing the rules, why not, you know, blow up the point of attack like Nick Fairley v. Oregon, or LSU d-line v. Oregon, or Stanford's 3-4, or Arizona (inexplicably). Those games didn't seem too dangerous for the defense.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 02-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #35
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

The whole "gimmick" angle is so far off base it's not even funny.

Ask anyone who played Auburn in 2013 how "gimmicky" the offense was as they got steamrolled for 8 billion yards rushing every game...coming off of "traditional" power runs...counters, sweeps, off tackles, dives, etc.

The "spread" can be 100 different things. Auburn's attack is totally different from Texas A&M. Texas A&M is a different spread no huddle than Oregon.

Bottom line..this rule is a joke and is being propped up as "player safety" when in reality coaches like Saban and Bielema are basically stamping their feet and whining because they can't figure out how to stop these offenses consistently.

That being said....South Carolina did just fine stopping Chad Morris and Clemson last year. Auburn held Oregon to 19 points and Oregon in turn held Auburn to 22 in 2010. Anything can be stopped...but it's up to the coaches to adapt. Not cry like babies and feed us bs about "player safety" to change the rules.

If it was truly about player safety...defenses wouldn't be allowed to blitz and QBs wouldn't be allowed to get blindsided by a defensive end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #36
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

I was all prepared to jump into this, but AA, seasprite and others already took care of it.

The rule change should never happen.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

The biggest uproar should be that Saban and Belilemala are pushing this in the name of player safety. Thats the real travesty here. Next they will push a ban on passing the football for player safety reasons.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Here we go.....

NFL uses concussions to tweak the game to expand/market the game beyond the hard core fan.
NCAA tags along to tweak the game to expand/market "Their Brand" even further.

As a Kines Major, I laugh at the thought that injuries are due to an athletes oxygen uptake.
What a joke!!!

Athletes are getting hurt because NCAA cares so much about the athlete, that they force offseason preparations to fit in a short window.
Because of this, "FLEXIBILITY" has all but been removed from Strength/Training programs due to the time restrictions.
Speed is 1st, Size is 2nd and Nutrition is 3rd in most programs.

This is just another way to exert power to dictate how the game can make profits for the NCAA Brand, that's all.
Also a Kines Major and it isn't the oxygen depletion that causes the injury. It's the amount of ATP (or lack there of) required for explosive movements that "CAN" cause an injury. If there's little ATP and a muscle is exerted beyond it's capability at that time then injury can occur.

I don't think that's the main case however, I'm just stating that to be a Know-It-All prick basically

Flexibility and Mobility are definitely the causes. I don't know any stats but I did hear that when Chip Kelly was at Oregon his players didn't lift. It was more focused on Functional Training (basically training the body to be really really good at moving around. People mostly hear about it when talking about Elderly people getting personal training to help with the aches and pains of everyday life. They want to move around easier.) Anyway, they said Oregon rarely problems with injuries. At least no more than you would expect from playing Football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »