Home

Old 05-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Scout yourself

Just a fun little exercise. Imagine you're a collage scout writing a report on yourself as a high school senior. How would you, looking back if you played, evaluate yourself.

Here's mine (Real life note: I was offered 2 partial scholarships to small JCs at DE and had one offer that would only cover residency at a div III school at SS. I played nearly every position over four years, but DE was my best despite my size. I didn't know the sport back then, only later when I decided I wanted to coach.)

#11 Adam Dembroski, QB/LE, Bradshaw Mtn HS, Prescott Valley, AZ

5'11", 150 lbs

Defensive end

Strengths: Excellent first step and outstanding quickness to the edge. Can beat most tackles off the line without jumping the count. Exceptional motor and aggressiveness. Good pad level, wins with leverage against larger blockers, but hip strength allows him to bull rush smaller backs in protection. Uses inside arm over technique to misdirect tackles. Will destroy QBs on the option. Has a defensive back's speed and can drop into coverage.

Weaknesses: liability in run game, does not shed or anchor well. Can be neutralized with a tight end. Can seem lost in traffic on run plays. Should come off the field on running downs except against option teams. Poor football intelligence; competitive but not a student of the game.

Bottom Line: strong situational pass rusher that makes good use of agility, speed, and leverage, but undersized and uninstinctive run defender. Situational buck end.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2017, 05:58 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Scout yourself

Hold up, you got 2 JC scholarship offers as a 5'11" 150lb DE?
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."
Old 05-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott812313
Hold up, you got 2 JC scholarship offers as a 5'11" 150lb DE?
Partials, yes. Basically just room and board. Bemidji State (not a JC anymore from what I hear) and North Dakota State College of Science. The non-scholarship offer was from Minnesota State University of Moorhead (at the time called Moorhead State University). Small ends were not uncommon at small schools in the late '90s. 5-2 and 5-3 or 3-4s that acted like 5-2 defenses were common then, and they were sort of a DL-LB hybrid. I was 125lbs as a sophomore, so I was trending in the right direction. I was strong for my size as well, at least my lower body was. I couldn't bench much more than my body weight, but I deadlifted around 350. I'm 190 now and I can't do that anymore

Anyways, I got into some legal trouble so didn't end up playing anywhere. The Moorhead state invite actually happened a few years later when I attended the university for academics and the coach remembered me. I was already transferring to North Dakota State, which was at the time on the verge of moving into Division 1, so I wasn't going to make it there.

Nobody participated I was thinking I might get enough responses to create an OS team in NCAA 14.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 05-28-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I have no business biting on this, but sure why not (I'm a software engineer with no organized football experience lol):

#7 Chris Hooe
5'10" - 190
Riverbend HS, Fredericksburg VA

HB / FB / LB / SS

Strengths: smart, heady player; a coach on the field. Doesn't give up on plays, has willingness to fight through tackles. Great glue guy in the locker room. Willing blocker in pass protection. Technical lead blocker, can seal angles as a lead blocker in a power running scheme. High character guy and exceptional work ethic. Receptive to coaching.

Cons: lacks initial burst or top-flight speed. Not very strong. Inconsistent hands. Not a "mean" player. Not a violent hitter. Lacks short-area quickness to be an effective player at the next level. Adequate tackler but sometimes takes bad angles to the ball. Possesses understanding of responsibilities in man and zone but nevertheless is a liability in coverage due to lack of general athleticism. Not an asset on special teams.

Bottom-line: strong candidate for a sideline assistant coaching position but shouldn't be on the field at the next level.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Saw this scrolling through the forums and thought it was a cool idea. Should do one for baseball too. That was my best sport. But anyway here we go....

5'11'' 220lbs guard. In high school we ran a trap offense. Not sure it that is actually what it's called, but 99% of our running plays were trap plays. I would line up on either side of the center depending on what side the run was going.

We did 6-0, 6-2 and 6-8 BG (backside guard) crash. I loved this play so much because I got to go to the outside and lead block for the back. I was literally the smallest lineman on the team, but I was also the fastest. So I would trap the tackles, DE's or ISO the LB's.

I was first team all-conference my senior year. I was offered scholarships from some small schools in Ohio. Tiffin, Theil, and one from Baldwin Wallace.

I would told I would mostly play special teams.

I declined the offers and went to Kent State and play baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Scout yourself

#83 Brian Krich 6'2" 195 lbs WR, Coast Union High School, Cambria CA.

Strengths:
Strong hands, does good job of catching ball away from body. Excellent route runner who can run whole route tree. Knows how to use leverage at the top of the route to set up man defender. Understands how to get to and work soft spots in zone coverage. Does best work inside the hashmarks. Speed is deceptive and can get behind the defense. Understands positioning and wins 50/50 balls. Adept at run after catch.

Weaknesses:
Strider, fast in a straight line but lacks explosive quickness or sudden change of direction. Struggles vs. quicker defenders in press coverage. Gets knocked off route too frequently. Willing blocker but not particularly effective. Loses focus at times if not seeing targets early in game. Despite size has never shown effectiveness as red zone target. WIll make high difficulty catch, then have lapse in concentration and occasionally drop routine ball.

Bottom Line:
Good Size/Speed Combo but not explosive. Understands passing game and how to exploit defenses. Not talented enough to be "the guy", but can be effective as complementary player. Works better from perimeter than slot.

Last edited by bkrich83; 09-04-2017 at 05:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »