Home

NCAA Football 09 Demo Available: Discuss Here

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 Demo Available: Discuss Here within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #817
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: NCAA Football 09 Demo Available: Discuss Here

Just want to clarify some things because I might have given off the wrong impression in some of my posts about the demo.

Please don't take my word as the gospel nor I'm I saying that if you don't like the demo you will love the game. By know means am I stating that at all. All I"m trying to say is if you don't like the demo there is hope for ya. You might like the retail version, but as I have said all year play the game for yourself.

If you like the demo well you are really in for a treat and I stand by my words the demo is trash to me. I only say this because the near final version of the game I played at CD is so much better. There are at least 3 or 4 bugs in the demo that are not present in the final version of the game. Also playing on varsity doesn't help at all I'm sure the demo and my impressions of it would be better if the difficulty level was on Heisman.

I don't want to give anyone false hope or help fester unrealistic expectations. Some might have taken my statements out of context just want to clariy some things. Because the core of the game is pretty much the same like player momentum, the control, the graphics, etc....

In closing while I still stand by my statements you should not expect a totally different game on July 15.

Here is what Greg Heddlesten (NCAA Designer) had to say about the demo.

Quote:
Just to shed a little light on the process:
The last integration we did for the demo was around the 29th of April. We have to give Sony/Microsoft 5-7 weeks of lead time for certification and functionality testing before they "greenlight" the demo to be posted for the public for download. You should assume any demo to be a "Work in Progress" and not a reflection of the final version of the game.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 06-21-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #818
Pro

Drag66's Arena

OVR: 9

The PS3 demo is very good. It's like night and day between 08 on the PS3 and 09 regarding graphics and framerate. I am excited to pick the retail version up on July 15th. In one game I played last night, I noticed 3 things that were off:

1. Perilloux was playing as the ILB (or does LSU have an ILB who wears #11 this year?);

2. OSU kicked a 62-yard field goal and it had enough distance for 72 yards; and

3. The 62-yard field goal clearly went wide left, but it counted as if it were good giving OSU 3 points.

Anyone else see any of these issues? Regardless, I really enjoyed the demo and am eager to play a few more games tonight!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #819
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag66
The PS3 demo is very good. It's like night and day between 08 on the PS3 and 09 regarding graphics and framerate. I am excited to pick the retail version up on July 15th. In one game I played last night, I noticed 3 things that were off:

1. Perilloux was playing as the ILB (or does LSU have an ILB who wears #11 this year?);

3. The 62-yard field goal clearly went wide left, but it counted as if it were good giving OSU 3 points.

Anyone else see any of these issues? Regardless, I really enjoyed the demo and am eager to play a few more games tonight!
There is also a #11 that plays LB at LSU - Kelvin Sheppard. Perriloux will not be in the retail version of the game either.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #820
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag66

#11 is Kelvin Sheppard.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #821
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
I've been playing NCAA 09 this morning and it plays out 10 times better than 08. I am extremely disappointed that it is still not in HD resolution (1080i/p). That alone makes me not want to buy it. but I most likely will. EA needs to serve up some 1080 resolution in there pS3 verion next year.
1) 720p is HD

2) 720p and 1080i are quite interchangeable and most people can't tell the difference. 1080i has more pixels but you never get a full image as only 540 lines are rendered in each frame whereas 720p renders the full image in each frame. 720p is usually said to be prefereable for content that features a lot of movement, like sports, or sports games. In fact, a 720p signal actually carries more information than a 1080i signal. Of course 1080p is even better.

This vid explains the difference between 1080i and 720p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-JXfyvlPh0

Last edited by mercalnd; 06-20-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #822
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
This Demo Version is NOT the same thing that we played in Orlando last month!!!!

There are a TON of things wrong with this demo that makes me believe it is from a build closer to the one that was played by a few community leaders in NYC at the NFL draft in April.... roster errors, minor graphics glitches and frame rate issues and hiccups and some REALLY bad option defense are among them...

Playing on Varsity is really hard to tell just how much of these issues is because of not playing on Heisman and how much is due to the particular build that was issued on the demos. For reference, the timeframe for getting a demo approved by both MS and Sony is usually about 1-2 MONTHS! That would mean if you want a demo to release early (like NCAA is this year) that you have to prepare a completely separate code for it - at least different from the code that will be used for the retail discs anyway.

So? Big deal , right? Well, yes, it IS a big deal....NCAA is still going to have some flaws in it, but I believe the build we played was a lot closer to the final retail build and that the actual game, played on higher difficulty levels is SIGNIFICANTLY better than this demo shows!!! If you LIKE the demo, you are going to LOVE the retai game and Madden is gonna absolutely blow your mind!!!

XB360 game 1 -- LSU (me) 21 OSU (CPU) 0
XB360 game 2 -- OSU (me) 28 LSU (CPU) 3

PS3 game 1 -- LSU (me) 14 OSU (CPU) 10

** I played the PS3 game at 3:30 AM after falling asleep in my chair waiting for my PSN download to finish...woke up and decided to try playing it anyway before going to bed for real...my first pass of the game was a pick-6 and after that I kind of woke up a bit and finished the game.**

Impressions?

THIS demo version is NOT identical on XB360 and PS3...there are more frame rate issues and a bit of weird controller glitches and hiccups in the PS3 version that were FIXED in Orlando.... graphically the games are pretty much dead even in this build and control wise the buttons are mapped the same. Using a Dual Shock 3 instead of the 6-Axis controller is definitely the way to go as the PS3 version DOES support rumble ( a HUGE pet peeve of mine with the 6-Axis controller that is now addressed since I got my Dual Shock 3 controller)!

Gameplay is just flat out bad in this demo. Pure and simple. The Varsity difficulty is a joke - defense does NOT pursue THAT badly in the retail version (or at least the 'near-retail' version I have played), nor do they play the option so poorly (demo option D is a joke!!!), nor is THAT easy to pass and roll out of the pocket (it was still a bit too easy in Orlando, but the demo version is freaking ludicrous!!!). Of the issues I have seen in the game, only the QB ability to roll out was nor MAJORLY different in my opinion bewteen this demo and the build I played more extnesively - the option D was completely better in Orlando (especially the ability to get off the late-pitch while being tackled....maybe I have not done enough option on the demo to see it, but I have not seen anyone talk about inaccurate pitches, which DEFINTIELY were in the build in Orlando too).

One thing that does seem a bit different in a 'good' way is the manual pass rush moves with a DL actually work better...you don't seem to get insta-stuck to a blocker and this allows you to manually create a decent pass rush at times with a DT or DE even if you don't blitz...though it is far from guaranteed heat...I am not sure if this was all that different in Orlando to be honest. I think I was in the definite minority who did not think the pass rush was as neutered as most. I thought there were some blitzes that got decent pressure, although I did not look for too much pressure in straight 4-man pass rushes.

One other thing I do know is that I am 100% certain of is that there are more than one "money" route combinations in the game and THAT was not fixed in the retail version...in fact its MUCH worse in this demo than it was in the Community Day build...but make no mistake, there are things in the game -regardless of build- that are going to make some people pull their hair out in frustration. The choice is pretty clear though - either adapt and overcome or be bitter and rage about it. The game seems to be met with a lot of the same opinion that I had on initially playing - the game is fun...and ultimately, the amount of fun people have with it will be determined individually. As we get better at the controls and find more holes in the AI , the ability to move past that and hold onto that inital reaction is going to change for everyone.
This is refreshing to know. Glad that others agree with me that this Demo is garbage. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #823
Rookie

OVR: 4

But seriously did anyone notice the new chin-straps in the game!?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #824
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hitter
This is refreshing to know. Glad that others agree with me that this Demo is garbage. Thanks.

And you're still here.......
Facinating how you're attracted to "garbage"

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »