Home

NHL 09: Community Event Recap: 5W-G

This is a discussion on NHL 09: Community Event Recap: 5W-G within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #25
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NHL 09: Community Event Recap: 5W-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
the computer is pretty good at taking what you give them. if people are standing in the slot wide open for a one timer all game, then guess what? you will get one-timered all game. if you are guarding the lane they won't pass the puck. it's actually pretty smart. just go into a game and purposefully leave people open, and watch how the cpu will find those players almost every time.
Guess what ? They will go to the point for a 1 timer instead.
Guess what ? Or go to the side boards for a 1 timer after the point is shut down.

My point is most shots whether on a rush in the slot or from the point are usually 1 timers thats all. When they have time and space i dont think a 1 timer is a good decision.
I hope they tone it down somewhat for next year at least make it harder to get them off every time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 9

you seem to be the only person having problems with one timers, so i guess you got a different copy of nhl08 than everyone else.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
you seem to be the only person having problems with one timers, so i guess you got a different copy of nhl08 than everyone else.
One-timers are not a problem in the game, definitely. However... If I score, the CPU will almost certainly skate up the ice and immediately attempt to score via a couple of quick tape-to-tape passes, followed by a one-timer from either the slot or the faceoff circle. So in that regard, Jimmy is correct and has a point. It's part of the 'insane mode' programming the CPU goes into from time to time.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
My point is most shots whether on a rush in the slot or from the point are usually 1 timers thats all.
I've been playing for a couple hours this evening and watching for this. And I can tell you the CPU has tried to score much more often by coming out from around the net, than on plays that could be considered one-timers. The CPU will try wraparounds/stuffs if I move too far into the slot with my D. If I hug the posts, the CPU will swing wide and try to slide the puck to a player in front.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #29
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

Ok just fired up a game Detroit preds im preds

Stats after 1 period and im not kidding.

Wings preds
3 goals 0
13 shots 7

14 1 timers 3
3 1 timer goals 0
3:05 on attack 3:15

2 of the goals were bad d , that back door play from just behind the net across the crease.
They are 1 timing it when a computer d man is covering them so i have no idea what im doing wrong.

Now preds played tight point ill try and change strats see if i can hold them up a bit.

End of 2 i guess im gonna get flamed for my d here and i do see a few areas i could be more disceplined but still.
5-0
30-17 shots
23-6 1 timers
6:41 - 5:59 TOA.

So weve established im playing poor d but other than cutting out the pass from happening i cant stop the decision to 1 time .
Im gonna mess with the sliders i just bumped them up to get more scoring with the latest roster maybe the pass speed is contributing.

Last edited by JimmyDeicide; 04-17-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
Ok just fired up a game Detroit preds im preds
LOL, funny. I played a game last night after my last post ^ and counted CPU one-timers versus other shots. I stopped counting after the CPU reached 10 shots, with just 1 shot that was a one-timer

One thing no doubt is difficulty level. I don't play above Pro because the CPU goes into 'insane mode' too often on the higher levels. And as I pointed out while agreeing with you, there is an increase in one-timers when the CPU is going crazy like that.

Last edited by baa7; 04-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #31
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

Ive bumped pass speed down again to 1 and it has realy cut them down to an acceptable rate at least, i just dislike the lower pass speed as sometimes your guys have to wait on the puck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 4
Does anyone have any info on some new features that EA is working on in NHL 08? Any sites that are leaking info?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »