Home

NHL 09 Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 09 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh
that is an interesting point and i think that covers most sports games - are the top players that far enough apart from the average everyday players in how the game rates them?

is 89 OVR to 70 OVR a big enough gap to warrant a star over a basic player (just for illustrative purposes)

maybe a radical overhaul of the ratings sytem is a way off yet, but that would most probably add another dimension when factored into the AI/Gameplay development
by spreading out the ratings more, it would make for a much more realistic game.
Not just for overall ratings, Im talking passing, shooting, etc.
When somebody like brashear tries a cross-ice pass, I want that thing off target at least 50% of the time, and picked off as well, whereas if somebody like lidstrom or thornton makes that pass, its almost perfect 80-90% of the time.

You get my point, but hopefully they make a total overhaul of the ratings
Old 06-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #34
meh
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
by spreading out the ratings more, it would make for a much more realistic game.
Not just for overall ratings, Im talking passing, shooting, etc.
When somebody like brashear tries a cross-ice pass, I want that thing off target at least 50% of the time, and picked off as well, whereas if somebody like lidstrom or thornton makes that pass, its almost perfect 80-90% of the time.

You get my point, but hopefully they make a total overhaul of the ratings
Yeah definately, something that generally gets overlooked (usually by the inclusion of sliders) - if the individual players are more diverse in their abilities, then the game will adjust and play with the benefits/handicaps each player brings

Something that hopefully gets looked into at somepoint
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh
maybe a radical overhaul of the ratings sytem is a way off yet, but that would most probably add another dimension when factored into the AI/Gameplay development
I've been doing that with NHL 08. When I have an hour, I take one team and lower the ratings of most players all the way down to the minimum (50). The few stars on the team I lower ratings here and there, but not as much. HUGE difference in the gameplay. The thing is, it also fixes some aspects of the programming. For example, the CPU doesn't pass tape-to-tape all the time. Plus scrubs have a tough time scoring on the higher difficulty levels, which doesn't happen with default ratings. I'm thinking of doing this with NHL 09 and making a roster available, the game plays so much more realistically IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #36
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
While the new ratings would be nice, you have to remember that EA is trying to sale a game to everyone on the market. A lot of people that buy these games would get frustrated if their team was filled with 50 overall rated players and such.

Honestly, and not to sound like a homer here, I think it works pretty well the way it is. In my franchise the people who score goals do more than the scrubs on my team. Even online you see the star players generate most of the offense, even though goons and 4th liners can make those passes you are all talking about at times.

Bottom line is this, these players are all in the NHL for a reason, nobody should be rated a 35 unless they put me in the game haha. When you play a game you notice a clear difference between Sidney Crosby and a Georges Laraque, and that is what is most important.

Besides, be careful what you wish for. It wasn't all that long ago that EA gave superstars a special rating for dekes and moves, and it was just crazy stupid and unrealistic.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 5

Haha, I think I would like a 35 overall. He may suck compared to most NHL players, but you know he's still one of the best 1000 or so hockey players in the world right now.

What I really want is for the game to not have all the Euro players as free agents so every team but mine ends up with way overpowered forwards and goaltenders who would never come close to making the NHL like that in real life. You need to either lower their ratings or lock in the contracts.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
While the new ratings would be nice, you have to remember that EA is trying to sale a game to everyone on the market. A lot of people that buy these games would get frustrated if their team was filled with 50 overall rated players and such.

Honestly, and not to sound like a homer here, I think it works pretty well the way it is. In my franchise the people who score goals do more than the scrubs on my team. Even online you see the star players generate most of the offense, even though goons and 4th liners can make those passes you are all talking about at times.

Bottom line is this, these players are all in the NHL for a reason, nobody should be rated a 35 unless they put me in the game haha. When you play a game you notice a clear difference between Sidney Crosby and a Georges Laraque, and that is what is most important.

Besides, be careful what you wish for. It wasn't all that long ago that EA gave superstars a special rating for dekes and moves, and it was just crazy stupid and unrealistic.
i remember there were players ranked in the 30s in nhl 92 and 93 for sega. Thats why those games were so damn good.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #39
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Seperate line changes, along with fully controlable stick lifting, and defensive sweepchecking more along the lines of how it is in NHL2k. A new fighting engine, more types of penalties including pucks over the glass and checking from behind etc. Thats not even mentioning the 75 or so new goalie animations including desperation types of saves, no more lock on hitting, its now all physics and momentum based. One handed dekes that only star players can pull off with any regularity. a dedicated dump with forechecking options for how many guys you want to send in behind the puck. And to top that all off added presentation like breakdowns of what you did right or wrong during replays. I think you owe it to yourself to at least give the game a chance this year, you may be suprised.

My pal RealmK(lol), I will probably give it a chance this year.. I have to admit it does sound like it's going to be a great game. The last hockey game that I truly loved was EA's nhl 2004. If only one game could truly put it all together, animations, presentation, FIGHTING, line changes, board play, etc. I would be in hockey video game heaven. 09 is starting to sound like a must buy.............

Last edited by Eddie1967; 06-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #40
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
From Littman's blog entry:
WOW, Sounds great.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 06-13-2008 at 07:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »