Home

NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #185
Rookie

nyr30's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I am going to rent it as soon as possible.

Catch i would say you may be better waiting till the Patch/Update comes out for 2k9, it was supposed to be out last week but someone posted on 2khockey.net that there has been a delay and it wont be out until this week or next.

I would wait till then if i was you, i have both games and in 2k9 there is just too many spin o rama's and the AI just drives the middle constantly. if they do patch it hopefully it will be addressed because if it is i think it could really be a good game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #186
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
To be honest the game is king of ruined for me but for a different reason then what all you guys are complaining about. The AI for whatever reason post patch can not beat me anymore unless I just play a bad game which after playing this series for 2 years, just isn't happening much at all. The changes they made have made the AI too easy. Now I wish they can score cheap goals on me again.
I was having the same problems as you, and have found three things that helped post-patch:

1. Bump both shot power and accuracy up to 4. Sure, it looks a bit off, but it seems to shift things back in the CPU's favor. The constant passing by the CPU around the slot area, when in many cases they had clear shooting lanes, was killing the game for me. This seems to fix it.

2. Drop goalie ratings. The problem is that goalie ratings are optimized for the default settings, once you slow the game down, they become unrealistically good. I've had good success by dropping ratings by 20 across the board (not including passing, endurance, etc.). The two ratings I'd be careful about are aggressiveness and rebound control. Rebound control is a bit of a tricky one. Dropping it by 20, I've seen some very realistic rebounds off the pads, but have also seen more of the cringe-inducing "blocker save, puck shoots up 10 feet, lands on goalie's back, stays there for ~ 5 seconds before whistle blows". Aggressiveness is also a weird one. I've been trying to get rid of the feel that the goalies are tethered to the goal frame, but changing it seems to have minimal effect, one way or the other.
I'm still working at optimizing this, but in general, the goalies need to be turned down.

3. Change up slider settings. I've been using your two slider sets plus prisonbulls set (haven't tried Flyermania's post-patch yet), and just rotating them. Problem is, things get way too repetitive using the same sliders, I find changing them up gives you a bit of a challenge in terms of adapting. What this game desperately needs, IMO, is an adaptive set of CPU/Human sliders, similar to Madden 09.

These have made the game fun for me again. I'm really a defense-first type of player, so I find that I can hold the CPU to 2-3 goals if I play really smart, and I can give up 6-7 if I get lazy. This might make scoring goals too easy for some players...for myself, it's pretty hit or miss.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #187
Rookie

nyr30's Arena

OVR: 5

Well my little break from 09 lasted about 3 days, i got bored and put it in, god i'm weak.

Now since i put back on i am on a 6 game win streak and just demolished Ottawa 7-2, Gerber shat the bed big time. I just thought i would post my 7th goal which Dan Girardi scored on the Powerplay.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2417311
Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #188
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr30
Well my little break from 09 lasted about 3 days, i got bored and put it in, god i'm weak.

Now since i put back on i am on a 6 game win streak and just demolished Ottawa 7-2, Gerber shat the bed big time. I just thought i would post my 7th goal which Dan Girardi scored on the Powerplay.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2417311
That was sweet!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #189
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

These sliders seem to be working really well for me.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I play on SS 7 minute periods. I get realistic shot totals. Hit totals are of course out of whack but I don't really care about that.

Game Speed: 2
Puck Control: 3
Fight Difficulty: N/A
Fatigue Effect: 6
AI Learning: 6

Fatigue Recovery: 0
Player Acceleration: 3

Hit Power: 0, 1, 2, doesn't matter
Aggression: 6
Poke Effectiveness: 2

Pass Speed: 3
Scr Pass Speed: 3
Pass INT: 5
Goalie Pass: 1

Shot Acc: 4
Shot PWR: 3

Shot Blk: 4
Hook: 6
Penalty Shot freq: 4 (affects how cpu defenders play)
Goalie Cover Puck: 6

I'm getting some very good results, and varied game types. Great variety of realistic goals for both me and the cpu. The puck control and poke check really allow the cpu AI to make some plays on offense.

These have been my results in a Leafs dynasty using these so far. Sorry for the crappy quality pic. Oh and the score for the Rangers in that game is an 8, I lost 8-3, picked up two goals near the end of the game to make it a little better. My most recent game against Boston I started Cujo and he just sucked. Also, four goals and 21 points from defensemen in seven games. Been using strategies with an emphasis on offense.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 11-27-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #190
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
These sliders seem to be working really well for me.

Game Speed: 2
Puck Control: 3
Fight Difficulty: N/A
Fatigue Effect: 6
AI Learning: 6

Fatigue Recovery: 0
Player Acceleration: 3

Hit Power: 0, 1, 2, doesn't matter
Aggression: 6
Poke Effectiveness: 2

Pass Speed: 3
Scr Pass Speed: 3
Pass INT: 5
Goalie Pass: 1

Shot Acc: 4
Shot PWR: 3

Shot Blk: 4
Hook: 6
Penalty Shot freq: 4 (affects how cpu defenders play)
Goalie Cover Puck: 6

I'm getting some very good results, and varied game types. Great variety of realistic goals for both me and the cpu. The puck control and poke check really allow the cpu AI to make some plays on offense.

These have been my results in a Leafs dynasty using these so far. Sorry for the crappy quality pic. Oh and the score for the Rangers in that game is an 8, I lost 8-3, picked up two goals near the end of the game to make it a little better. My most recent game against Boston I started Cujo and he just sucked. Also, four goals and 21 points from defensemen in seven games. Been using strategies with an emphasis on offense.

What level are you playing on? I CANNOT play on Super Star. It is SO unrealistic. I hope these are for All Star.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #191
Rookie

OVR: 6

Did you try Superstar before the patch or after? It is definitely a bit easier after the patch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #192
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR360
Did you try Superstar before the patch or after? It is definitely a bit easier after the patch.
I played on SS before the patch, and yes it was harder but only because of the cheap goals. Puck control 3 and poke check 2 and Shot accuracy 4 does wonders for the cpu's ability to score goals.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »