Home

NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames)

This is a discussion on NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #57
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I just hope that if someone drops the gloves and the other turtles, there'll be a 2 minute instigator handed out.
Nah, let's go Blades of Steel and give the guy who loses the fight a penalty.

If you think about it, this could really add a tremendous layer of depth (and fun) to the game if it's done well. The NHL team has demonstrated that they want the game to represent NHL hockey in an authentic manner. I doubt that they'll throw that by the wayside by making this over-the-top "Slapshot" thuggery. They've also shown that they will support the product post-release and listen to the community while doing so.

If you take that as "let's give them the benefit of the doubt", so be it. Fact is, all we can do at this point is soak up the info and speculate. The proof will be in the proverbial pudding...
Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Nah, let's go Blades of Steel and give the guy who loses the fight a penalty.

If you think about it, this could really add a tremendous layer of depth (and fun) to the game if it's done well. The NHL team has demonstrated that they want the game to represent NHL hockey in an authentic manner. I doubt that they'll throw that by the wayside by making this over-the-top "Slapshot" thuggery. They've also shown that they will support the product post-release and listen to the community while doing so.

If you take that as "let's give them the benefit of the doubt", so be it. Fact is, all we can do at this point is soak up the info and speculate. The proof will be in the proverbial pudding...
Thats exactly my outlook on it as well. Littman said during that interview the're adding more penalties as well, I think it would be pretty safe to assume instigator is one of them.

The way the're talking they really want to dirty the game up as it is IRL and remove that end to end, tape to tape game we currently have. They could have gone an easy route and just added basic board pinning and tweak passing to be less acurate, instead to me what it sounds the're doing is not only making the game grittier with the board play and 3rd and 4th liners having more of an impact, but adding a layer of depth by having line changes actually mean alot more than just getting fresh legs on the ice. Tell me once in an NHL 0x title where you've felt a 3rd or 4th liner is any different than a 1st liner? Hank for all the desire of player seperation and stars and scrubs having their own distinctive roles. I think this is actually what the're going for.

The more I think about the way they've described where the're going with it, the more sense it makes and the more excited I get for just how much of a different game we're going to get this year.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Thats exactly my outlook on it as well. Littman said during that interview the're adding more penalties as well, I think it would be pretty safe to assume instigator is one of them.

The way the're talking they really want to dirty the game up as it is IRL and remove that end to end, tape to tape game we currently have. They could have gone an easy route and just added basic board pinning and tweak passing to be less acurate, instead to me what it sounds the're doing is not only making the game grittier with the board play and 3rd and 4th liners having more of an impact, but adding a layer of depth by having line changes actually mean alot more than just getting fresh legs on the ice. Tell me once in an NHL 0x title where you've felt a 3rd or 4th liner is any different than a 1st liner? Hank for all the desire of player seperation and stars and scrubs having their own distinctive roles. I think this is actually what the're going for.

The more I think about the way they've described where the're going with it, the more sense it makes and the more excited I get for just how much of a different game we're going to get this year.
Absolutely. Despite all my gripes I'm very excited about everything I've read.
I'm just paranoid that anyone can be persuaded into a fight.

But everything I've read sounds fantastic. I can't wait!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
people are being so negative, yet the game doesn't come out for another 4 months...amazing...Litt's track record is proven...despite the bugs, nhl 07 was miles better than 06, 08 was better than 07 and 09 was an improvement over 08, especially post patch...i have so much confidence in these guys.

Exactly...they're just getting started on releasing details. And the team definitely has a strong enough track record that I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm stoked.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #61
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yes, he will, but by Ivan Drago. Anyone who has watched Rocky IV knows Drago > Creed. Besides, you'll be between the pipes anyways, so Drago will have to protect you.

As for the matter at hand, this is all going to depend on how well it's implemented/executed. I HATE seeing non-fighters fighting, but at the same time, everyone gets involved to some degree, particularly in the playoffs. It's going to require a tremendous amount of balance and almost certainly some post-release tuning once the masses get their grubby mitts on the game.
IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EXHIBITION!

While on the topic of goalies, I hope there is a bit more control to them this year so I don't feel like I'm fighting against the controls rather than the other team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
people are being so negative, yet the game doesn't come out for another 4 months...amazing...Litt's track record is proven...despite the bugs, nhl 07 was miles better than 06, 08 was better than 07 and 09 was an improvement over 08, especially post patch...i have so much confidence in these guys.
It will always be that way because it's really easy to be negative...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yes, he will, but by Ivan Drago. Anyone who has watched Rocky IV knows Drago > Creed.
Drago couldn't touch a prime Creed.

Back to the game, I'm going to resurrect the career of Ogie Ogolthorpe:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ogiec.jpg (6.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #63
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EXHIBITION!
Except I wasn't drinking, I was eating a Heath bar. Now I have little chocolate & buttery toffee chunks all over my desk. Jerk...

Also, I scoff at the suggestion that Apollo Creed could, at any point in his career, defeat Ivan "Death from Above" Drago. Scoff I tell you!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #64
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Except I wasn't drinking, I was eating a Heath bar. Now I have little chocolate & buttery toffee chunks all over my desk. Jerk...

Also, I scoff at the suggestion that Apollo Creed could, at any point in his career, defeat Ivan "Death from Above" Drago. Scoff I tell you!
The Master of Disaster, The King of Sting, The Dancing Destroyer, The Count of Monte Fisto, AND The Undisputed Champion of the WORLDDDDDDDDDD APOLLO CREED!

Drago wouldn't stand a chance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »