Home

New NHL 11 Details via OXM

This is a discussion on New NHL 11 Details via OXM within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #105
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: New NHL 11 Details via OXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBiNeR1
Interesting point you bring up here...one that I agree with you on. You do realize however that EA re-writes the entire game in a year whenever there is a new platform to support it on correct? When this occurs, all of the advancements that have been added on to it get stripped away and the product gets brought right back down to its foundation (since due to time constraints, many previously added features get left behind). Visibly you will notice the improvements right away (due to the nature of the new graphics and processing support of the platform) but as for the functionality, the "reset" button gets pushed and you start the improvement process of the same enhancements all over again. It's a known fact that board play, directional passing and custom music were all once part of the series (2004) that have been re-introduced on the current gen platform. In fact, some features still haven't made it to the 360 yet (customizabe controls). Because EA advertises these re-introductions as "new features", does that wash away the facts?

Well, Bama83 was offering his conjecture in assuming there is more than one team working on this engine (which is definitely likely since online tech is handled the same way at EA Sports). It is still presumptious however. Perhaps your comment of "know it all" was directed to him? I was just asking the next logical question: Who is testing the integration of it for NHL? Do you realize how massive that testing effort is going to need to be? Every element of gameplay is going to be affected by the new physics changes. It's just common sense to wonder how's it's all going to get fully tested in such a short time (and with no public beta).
You realize that they do have other teams that work on just tech and engine upgrades and the like right? They didn't release an NHL game the first year on 360 and PS3, and to be honest I think thats a big reason why so far the game has become so improved on this console cycle, they took the time to get the foundation solid before even shipping a game.

Yes I realize features usually end up getting readded that were already in prior on last gen, I also realize I'd rather they rebuild from the ground up when applicable rather than do what 2k does and rely on port jobs or flat out milk a core engine til its on death's door like they have with NHL, MLB and NBA, theres only so much spit and polish you can add before the core needs either major code updates or flat out replacement, its pretty sad when you can pick out code or instances from NHL2k3-2k4 in NHL2k10, sadly the ship has passed on their hockey game and nearly passed on their MLB game. It really comes down to which would you perfer? Innovation like we got with EA's skill stick and the EASHL or a retread with slightly better graphics ala 2k where they then scramble to improve the title and catch up usually leaving any sort of polish or solid refinement on the cutting room floor? Me I'll take the former any day of the week.

But like I said, if you don't find the game has improved enough on a year to year basis, its simple don't buy it. Rather than sarcastically pick the title apart each year, just don't buy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #106
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Well at least there is always next year. And yeah I am sure Thomas will be a beast! Any way relax, you can dish it out, but you can't take it. You might want to not mess with me first then. lol Any way I still hope it is a goalie, the goalie needs major love in this game and puck physics.
Thomas for Murray???
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #107
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
And how far did your team go?
they only pulled off the biggest choke in NHL history. haha.

Nothing against the Sharks. Theyll just never win with Thornton and Nabokov there.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #108
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
You realize that they do have other teams that work on just tech and engine upgrades and the like right? They didn't release an NHL game the first year on 360 and PS3, and to be honest I think thats a big reason why so far the game has become so improved on this console cycle, they took the time to get the foundation solid before even shipping a game.

Yes I realize features usually end up getting readded that were already in prior on last gen, I also realize I'd rather they rebuild from the ground up when applicable rather than do what 2k does and rely on port jobs or flat out milk a core engine til its on death's door like they have with NHL, MLB and NBA, theres only so much spit and polish you can add before the core needs either major code updates or flat out replacement, its pretty sad when you can pick out code or instances from NHL2k3-2k4 in NHL2k10, sadly the ship has passed on their hockey game and nearly passed on their MLB game. It really comes down to which would you perfer? Innovation like we got with EA's skill stick and the EASHL or a retread with slightly better graphics ala 2k where they then scramble to improve the title and catch up usually leaving any sort of polish or solid refinement on the cutting room floor? Me I'll take the former any day of the week.

But like I said, if you don't find the game has improved enough on a year to year basis, its simple don't buy it. Rather than sarcastically pick the title apart each year, just don't buy it.
Understood about "choosing the lesser of two evils". As fans of the sport, some of us like to offer alternative ways of delivering these products. Since obviously there's too much to test over one year, doesn't logic demand investigating a different delivery approach for the good of the entire community?

I realize some of us don't want to rock the boat and be conservative (the "it is what it is" mentality) but others are more aggressive. If it is a crime to choose the second approach on this forum, I guess you need to have users like me removed.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #109
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
they only pulled off the biggest choke in NHL history. haha.

Nothing against the Sharks. Theyll just never win with Thornton and Nabokov there.
I disagree those are not the problems. Joe and Nabby can win a cup. OH well back to the EA contest btween Realm and ABin.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #110
Banned

Quote:
Understood about "choosing the lesser of two evils". As fans of the sport, some of us like to offer alternative ways of delivering these products. Since obviously there's too much to test over one year, doesn't logic demand investigating a different delivery approach for the good of the entire community?

I realize some of us don't want to rock the boat and be conservative (the "it is what it is" mentality) but others are more aggressive. If it is a crime to choose the second approach on this forum, I guess you need to have users like me removed.
I hear where you're coming from, I just think there's a more constructive way to get your point across is all.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #111
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I hear where you're coming from, I just think there's a more constructive way to get your point across is all.
The comments I placed in this thread are not acceptable? What do you suggest...harsh language?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #112
Banned

Quote:
The comments I placed in this thread are not acceptable? What do you suggest...harsh language?
Oh c'mon, I think you know what I mean. comments like "Since obviously there's too much to test over one year, doesn't logic demand investigating a different delivery approach for the good of the entire community?" sounds about as mocking as can be. Again we don't know how long the new physics engine has been in the works, who knows, maybe its been in the works since 07 shipped for all we know?

Want another? "You do realize however that EA re-writes the entire game in a year whenever there is a new platform to support it on correct?" Really? you don't think its possible that they have dev kits for new systems ahead of time and are able to start building a title prior to a console launch?

Its the tone of your posts, that sort of "I know the inner workings at EA and I'm mad things aren't done like I want them to be"

I'll be the first person to agree with you that there are times where EA Sports titles don't progress enough from year to year, but give some credit where its due in the case of the NHL sku, its done nothing but gotten better since 07 and it appears that it very well make a major leap forward this year should all this physics engine talk pans out the way we'd hope it does.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »