Home

First NHL 12 Screenshot Revealed, What Differences Do You See?

This is a discussion on First NHL 12 Screenshot Revealed, What Differences Do You See? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: First NHL 12 Screenshot Revealed, What Differences Do You See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
The hitting is fine BUT ONLY IF it has a counter. Currently, you get hit but you have no way of bracing yourself for the hit. It's like you guy is a styro foam block. In real life NHL, when a guy sees a hit coming, he doesn't stand there and let himself get levelled, he braces for the hit. This HAS to be in NHL 12 or else we're going to suffer through another year or unrealistic hits.

I for one love the direction the game is going in terms of the real time physics engine. It allows for more dynamic game play and makes the game look and feel more realistic. Sure things can be tweaked here n there, but answer me this:

If EA didn't add any new features to the NHL series year after year, and left the same old Dynasty Mode, Season Mode, and game play features, etc the same year after year, would you buy it?

I would say no. I don't want the same scripted animations, I don't want the same old Dynasty Mode and Season mode, I don't want the same gameplay features in terms of penalties, post whistle scrums, etc. When I pay 70$ for a game I WANT new things added, I don't want the same things untouched just because it's "fine". Sure, Be a GM Mode needs fixing, the Sim Engine needs to be redone, but just because those need to be fixed, doesn't mean that EA isn't allowed to add stuff that's actually in the game of hockey we all love and watch like goaltender interference, nets coming loose, the Winter Classic, etc.

All I'm trying to say is, the majority people want things changed and new things added, not the same game for 5 years in a row with minor tweaks.
The hitting is not fine, not by any means. Bracing for a hit is irrelevant, because even the tiny little nudges are extremely effective against even players with high strength and balance. Stupid **** like dropping your stick from a cross check to the back, the hustle, the hitting, these are all things that IMO are horribly unbalanced. The angles that you can knock people down are just absurd, you see open ice hits like that MAYBE once a game, you see 5 of them every shift in the EASHL. The penalties are horribly balance, if you nudge a guy battling for a loose puck it's interference. However, if that same player shoots the puck you have a 5 second window to level him. These are just some of the things I personally think EA did a poor job of balancing and never corrected (got worse in fact), and these things have me skeptical that something like nets off the moorings or goaltender interference will not be abused.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 6
Weak sauce. The jerseys still look plastered on and the face is still generic. It's nice that the winter classic is in, but this doesn't really get me that excited.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #51
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

With myself being a 95% off-line gamer, many of the concerns that the more on-line community has, really doesn't apply to me. But I do understand the concern of now being able to plow over opposing goalies, etc...

As far as the screenshot goes, with showing the goalie getting blasted, and his mask flying off...I'm thinking that's an exaggerated example...just to better show off the new features.

But anyway...for me, I'm pleased they've added things like goalie collisions, nets off moorings. If done within reason, imo...it'll add nicely to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 7
am I the only one who thinks this doesn't look good? #21 looks like a zombie...nothing about this picture looks natural. Like some NCAA football screenshots you have to double take cause it looks real but this just looks like a video game even from far away...
Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #53
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

3 thoughts:

#1) This is a pretty unimpressive screenshot to open the marketing campaign with. Why are there only 3 players on the ice? So the other 8 players and goalie are in the corner huh? Player models look unchanged. I know it's only 1 screenshot and it's purpose is to "cleverly" show off new features, but cmon guys you could have done better.

#2) The positive, Goalie collision detection will be a nice addition. If I had any hair left to pull out I would do it everytime I skate in on goal in NHL11 and barely clip the goalie with my skate and the puck flies off my stick into the corner. I have faith that it won't be overdone as the dev team has done a really good job of tuning everything in NHL11 except for body checking which is ridiculously overpowering.

#3) The negative. From the shot that mask doesn't look anything like Fleury's, so it more than likely means not only will authentic goalie masks not be in this year, but we cant even get knockoff versions for at least the starting goalies in the league. Don't give me that BS line you use every year about you can't put this "artwork" in the game. Real masks need to find their way into the game sometime this decade...

Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #54
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew514
The hitting is not fine, not by any means. Bracing for a hit is irrelevant, because even the tiny little nudges are extremely effective against even players with high strength and balance. Stupid **** like dropping your stick from a cross check to the back, the hustle, the hitting, these are all things that IMO are horribly unbalanced. The angles that you can knock people down are just absurd, you see open ice hits like that MAYBE once a game, you see 5 of them every shift in the EASHL. The penalties are horribly balance, if you nudge a guy battling for a loose puck it's interference. However, if that same player shoots the puck you have a 5 second window to level him. These are just some of the things I personally think EA did a poor job of balancing and never corrected (got worse in fact), and these things have me skeptical that something like nets off the moorings or goaltender interference will not be abused.
Because players see the hit coming and brace themselves for it in real life.... So if we had the ability to brace our players in NHL 12, you wouldn't see guys getting levelled every two seconds.

Anyway this topic isn't for debating hitting, so I'm just going to leave it at that.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #55
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I feel like it's a staged picture to show off features, and i'm glad the net coming off and goalie collisions have been added.
My only fear is that you have to check the goalie to get contact. Because Laich definitely appears to be checking (I also wish they would get rid of that animation with some different ones...).
I'm holding out hope though.
I hope EA comes out big this year!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 1
Not to be a negative nancy, but, why would EA lead off a marketing campaign with a picture that only features one player facing the screen and that player has a generic face? What better way to say "here are 2 more features. None of the old stuff has been fixed."

Will created players still glow red/orange?
Will BAP actually include the OT loss point?
Will XP in BAP work properly?
Laich is executing the same horrible checking animation we've had this entire generation. Have the animations been updated at all?
Also he appears to be crosschecking the cross bar while force-pushing Fleury into the third row. Does that mean physics/collision detection haven't been touched?

I don't know what I was expecting... In this day and age the old problems should have been fixed with a patch 5 or 6 months ago. The fact they were not proves EA is unwilling or unaware. I don't think I've ever looked at the "first screen shot" of a game and been so disappointed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »