Home

NHL 13 Blog - GM Brain: The New AI System That Handles Computer Trades, Drafts & More

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Blog - GM Brain: The New AI System That Handles Computer Trades, Drafts & More within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: The New Be-A-GM Brain

Did anyone else notice in the screenshot of the progression sim that all of the top players shown for 2021 (except for 2) are guys that are already in the league? So basically no one who was drafted in the simulation for the next 9 years is going to be a star, and Crosby and Ovechkin are still 1 and 2 in their mid thirties. How likely does that sound?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by narwhale
Did anyone else notice in the screenshot of the progression sim that all of the top players shown for 2021 (except for 2) are guys that are already in the league? So basically no one who was drafted in the simulation for the next 9 years is going to be a star, and Crosby and Ovechkin are still 1 and 2 in their mid thirties. How likely does that sound?
Keep in mind that it's one simulation of that length, and their studies would have been composed of hundreds if not thousands of simulations.

"We are able to model and test drive scenarios using a tool that we created."

Last edited by 06woz; 08-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #28
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
It'll be interesting to see if this applies to line making logic as well regarding player roles. Will guys that generally play better defense or two way forwards like a Patrice Bergeron be set on the PK rather than a tough guy like a Lucic would in prior years.
That was my question after reading about the new role system. You'd think the roles would be used for the even strength lines, as it's so clear cut. In the past they used certain attributes to pick the penalty killers, but for some reason checking and (I think) aggressiveness were big factors, hence the tough guys on the PK. I talked with them about this two years ago at the community event... change it to DAWR (mainly), speed, and maybe a combination of shot blocking, stick checking, and faceoffs. Hopefully it's improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
I wonder what the "senses" rating is about. I assume it is being good at seeing players across the ice and making accurate passes? Effectively separating the evaluation of deke skill with passing skill on the puck?
It looked like Senses was a group of ratings, as in overall hockey sense, not a new individual rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Did they mention anything about draft booms and busts? I'd like to see some first round draft picks not live up to their potential and some late-round draft picks become NHL superstars.

Basically is potential guaranteed?
As 06woz said, they mentioned the color-coding of stars represented a player's likelihood of reaching his potential. So if you want to split hairs, perhaps a player's ultimate potential is set, but they are not guaranteed to reach it. Can't tell from the info provided if the potential itself will change; eg, a 3-star guy has several great years and becomes 4-star (or the opposite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Keep in mind that it's one simulation of that length, and their studies would have been composed of hundreds if not thousands of simulations.

"We are able to model and test drive scenarios using a tool that we created."
Yeah, highly dubious to draw conclusions from a single screen grab. Way too many variables involved. With that being said, I sure hope they gave regression as much love as progression.

I want to see guys losing skating & physical abilities as they age, but increasing their "senses" from their years of experience. Just like young players generally need to improve their awareness, defensive skills, and strength to break into the NHL.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #29
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb

Yeah, highly dubious to draw conclusions from a single screen grab. Way too many variables involved. With that being said, I sure hope they gave regression as much love as progression.

I want to see guys losing skating & physical abilities as they age, but increasing their "senses" from their years of experience. Just like young players generally need to improve their awareness, defensive skills, and strength to break into the NHL.
Yes!!!! I want to see the progression of the younger (rising star) players and the regression of older star players.

like Gagnon said....boom or bust for some 1-2nd rounders and 5-7th rounders draft pick. there are some players who came mid or late round picks that are now playing in NHL level. Example in Canucks: Bieksa (5th round), Hansen (9th round) or White (1st rounder and bust)
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5

All of this sounds amazing and so far filling in all those holes that we have all asked can't wait to try it out.

With that said I was wondering if a formula has been worked out for actual physical growth. Example being the 16 yr old CHL players still at 5'10" and 165lbs. Has anyone heard anything about players being able to add height and weight after being drafted and aging?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
Rookie

peter21's Arena

OVR: 1

On paper it certainly sounds like a step in the right direction. I may actually stick with GM mode for longer than a week this time!

I'd just caution that, like many things, the first year they roll out something that fundamentally changes the game like this, there may be some bugs. Hopefully the potential is there to make this a more immersive game though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 13 Blog - GM Brain: The New AI System That Handles Computer Trades, Drafts &

I won't be surprised if everything isn't fixed but I am just very happy they are working on it

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »