Home

NHL 16 Trial Available Now For EA Access Subscribers, Get 10 Hours of Gamplay

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Trial Available Now For EA Access Subscribers, Get 10 Hours of Gamplay within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #217
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Trial Available Now For EA Access Subscribers, Get 10 Hours of Gamplay

Here is the better passing vid.

I apologize for the yellow circle, I now know how to turn that off.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #218
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: NHL 16 Trial Available Now For EA Access Subscribers, Get 10 Hours of Gamplay

Timestamp 28:32 of this video is a good example of the lack of stick physics creating unrealistic scoring chances that wouldn't exist if sticks weren't allowed to clip through everything on the ice:

Kane shouldn't have even been able to get a pass off here. His stick should have been disrupted by the nearby defender's stick. Instead he gets off a perfect saucer pass without any difficulty.

Then Anisimov's stick teleports through a nearby Wild defender's body and warps out the other side of his leg so that Anisimov can slam home a perfect one timer shot.

That type of play is basically the AI's only way to consistently score in this game, and it wouldn't even be possible if sticks had proper physics.

Last edited by jyoung; 09-12-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #219
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Thank you kind sir. The passing DID indeed look better in that vid. But, in the off chance anyone of importance takes this particular post to heart, some negatives as well:

Is it just me or does the CPU back check suck in this game? An example being #42 David Backes, whose goal seems to be to meander to the net without much purpose. Equally bad is the Blues #15, who stands perfectly still, facing the puck... only metres from his man at the point. Boy, does he stand still. And then he starts moving, completely misses the puck carrier, and pivots poorly. Bad shift mate. Alex Pietrangelo (I believe, hard to make out the number) plays well, but forgets to cover the back post.

EDIT: just saw jyoung's vid, excellent example... any player worth his ice time would make the easy play on Kane's stick and take the puck away, since Kane is in a vulnerable position and poorly positioned to guard against exactly what the defensive player should do. The rest is just horrible.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 09-12-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #220
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

jyoung doing great yeoman's work with these videos. IMO that kind of stuff is just unacceptable. The only way the cpu scores is by moving the puck quickly and impossibly to get an advantageous shot. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but if a player in an attacking position on the puck is in tough spot I want to see them make a conservative play off the boards, reload the play if the defence isn't being pressuresd (i.e. defensive team is changing), or play the puck below the goal line or take a shot in hopes of gaining an o-zone faceoff.

The lack of stick and board interaction allows the cpu AI to take too many risks that, well, just can't happen in hockey unless you want to turn the puck over in a bad area. The Kane play is a bad representation of hockey that just gets worse. I'm not looking for the moon here, I just want the basics to be better. I truly believe it can be better and more fun at the same time.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 09-12-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #221
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

But...but...

And then this game goes and spoils it all by saying something stupid like I love you.

I shot post whistle and the cpu did not take kindly to it. Cpu picked a fight, my guy was iffy about it but one of my others players decided "let's roll" and started a fight on his own. Which I then proceeded to win.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #222
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

Just played 4 EASHL games, just 2 of us. Couldn't have been more fun.

A full team of like-minded players makes for a really fun game. Can't wait for Tuesday
Old 09-13-2015, 01:57 AM   #223
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

THanks Young for posting your video. This game is designed for ONLINE gamers and thats good for them. For me an offline, NOPE, BAD GAME. As simple as that (video), this is not worth the $60 FOR ME. I really dont care about the mascots and much improved presentation and bring back the missing features for BAGM. But gameplay such as these and tons more, its not worth it. MAYBE in 17, EA can focus on the offline gamer like me. ITS LONG OVERDUE. I placed this as "rent" at Gamefly, then I'll return it as soon as NBA 2k16 is released.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #224
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Timestamp 28:32 of this video is a good example of the lack of stick physics creating unrealistic scoring chances that wouldn't exist if sticks weren't allowed to clip through everything on the ice:

Kane shouldn't have even been able to get a pass off here. His stick should have been disrupted by the nearby defender's stick. Instead he gets off a perfect saucer pass without any difficulty.

Then Anisimov's stick teleports through a nearby Wild defender's body and warps out the other side of his leg so that Anisimov can slam home a perfect one timer shot.

That type of play is basically the AI's only way to consistently score in this game, and it wouldn't even be possible if sticks had proper physics.

You should move this to the BUGS Thread, it's A BUG.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »