Home

The Resurrection of Sonoma State

This is a discussion on The Resurrection of Sonoma State within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer Updates?
full article for each week through the season 44 67.69%
brief stats/summary, article updates 4x per season 21 32.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Resurrection of Sonoma State

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnostate
Solid start for you as OC. I'm digging the playbook you described. I was messing around with the playbook the other night because I wanted a 3 WR 1 TE base package off the spread formations. So far its worked pretty well. It kind of reminds me of the New England Patriots and how they move Gronk all over the field for mismatches.
Thanks! Having played the game for a very long time, it has helped me be able to move the ball well with an underwhelming offense.

If you want more info on how I run it, just PM me. The majority of the playbook is built out of shotgun and pistol, and basically every variation of 3 WR (bunch, 4 wide with TE in slot, etc etc). I have only 3 formations with the QB under center: Ace, Strong, and goal line. I have about 5 formations with 4 or 5 WR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey d
Looks good so far. I like the idea of not coaching at Sonoma State right away. Curious to see how long it will be until you get an offer from them. Also should be interesting to see what kind of recruiting class they can pull in with all seniors.
I'm curious too! In a way, I hope its after this season (just so I can get going). On the other hand, I want to build my skill tree more before I get the job. Hopefully I can get an offer for OC at a better school, with more offensive talent. It will help my skill tree to have a high powered offense.

Sonoma looks to be doing OK on the recruiting trail. With no wins, they still have a lot of 2-3* interest. I am assuming it is due to playing time opportunities.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Mid Season Update

Idaho Finds Their Missing Link, Improves to 3-3

After dropping three in a row and plummeting below the .500 mark for the first time this season, the Vandals gave QB #11 a shot at quarterback. He definitely didn't disappoint. At Arkansas State he managed 325 yards and 3 touchdowns on just 16 completions. The revamped offense put up their best numbers of the season, going for over 600 yards and 56 points. Coach Petrino said he was "very happy" to see such an explosion of offense after a lackluster few weeks. "I was getting a bit worried that things weren't coming together after those three losses, but this game definitely has me excited for the remainder of the season. We really showed what were capable of" he said.

Idaho is working toward being bowl eligible, and coach Petrino believes they will snag the three more wins needed to get there. Offensive Coordinator Scott Wright seems to think this game is just the beginning. "The offense is finally clicking, this is the exciting football I have been talking about!" Wright told reporters.

To top off the win, Idaho managed to land a couple of commitments on the recruiting trail. Matt Mason and Kenton Freeman both made verbal commitments to Idaho following their win at Arkansas State. Both players are JUCO transfers, and hope to have an immediate impact.

Looking forward, Idaho may have trouble collecting three more wins for bowl eligibility. Here is the remainder of their schedule:
Vs. Fresno State (3-1)
@ Sonoma State (0-6)
@ #17 Ole Miss (4-1)
Vs. Old Dominion (3-3)
@ #2 Florida State (5-0)
Vs. Texas State (1-3)

Sonoma State Stumbles to 0-6

A start up program is always tough, so it should come as no surprise that Sonoma State is yet to secure a win this season. The Seawolves sit at 0-6 at the midway point, and effectively have little hope of reaching the .500 mark. "We knew this would be a rough start, I just hope our fans and students can stick through it with us" said head coach Bobby Hill. "We didn't expect to come in and shock the world, but we hope to secure a few wins. I think with our schedule we have some good opportunities" Hill added.

School president Roy Arminta did not seem nearly as optimistic. "We know its tough, but we expect results. We're really hoping this can be a successful program."

Athetic Director Brian Franks would not comment on Hill's job security. "Thats something we will only worry about after the season" he told reporters. Franks, however, did not seem pleased. "We know the road is rough, and wins are tough to come by, but we want to see progress. I don't know if I have seen that yet."

Overview

Injuries:
Starter DT #90 is listed as "probable" with a pulled hamstring.
Starter LE #40 is out at least three more weeks with a strained shoulder.

Recruiting:

2* JUCO DT Matt Mason committed (Renton, WA). Overall: 64 (25% scouted)
1* JUCO CB Kenton Freeman committed (Lakewood, WA). Overall: 60 (25% scouted)

Team Stats
Record: 3-3
Points per game: 29.3 (#34)
Total Offense per game: 467.5 yards (#11)
Rushing Avg: 181.3 (#34)
Passing Average: 286.2 (#12)
Total Defense: 387.5 (#92)
Rush Defense: 129.3 (#40)
Pass Defense: 258.2 (#111)
Turnover margin: -4 (#104)

Passing Leader:
QB #12: 94/154, 1392 yards, 6 TD, 12 INT

Rushing Leader:
HB #7: 88 att, 645 yards, 7.3 avg, 7 TD, 107 YPG

Receiving Leader:
WR #19: 35 rec, 488 yards, 13.9 avg, 3 TD, 81.3 YPG
Old 12-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

weeks 7-9

Week 7: Idaho Vs. Fresno State (simmed)

Idaho 7(3-4) -- Fresno State38(4-1)

Idaho Offensive Stats
Total Offense: 119 yards
Rushes/Yards/TD: 30/37/0
Passes/Yards/TD: 20/82/0
3rd downs: 1/13 (7%)
Redzone: 2 attempts, 0 TD, 0 FG (0%)
Turnovers: 1

Passing Leader:
QB #11: 9/20, 82 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT. Rating: 69.4

Rushing Leader:
HB #7: 8 carries, 31 yards, 3.8 AVG, 0 TD

Receving Leader:
TE #86: 3 rec, 36 yards, 12.0 AVG

Game Summary: The Vandals followed their most impressive offensive showing of the season with their worst. Idaho managed only 7 first downs in the game and struggled to get any drives going. The team's only touchdown came from an interception run back 77 yards. Fresno State never let up, and dominated Idaho on their home field. Idaho will hope to bounce back when they travel to Sonoma next week.

Week 8: Idaho Vs. Sonoma State

Idaho 31(4-4) -- Sonoma State7(0-7)

Idaho Offensive Stats
Total Offense: 605
Rushes/Yards/TD: 44/254/1
Passes/Yards/TD: 39/351/3
3rd downs: 8/15 (53%)
Redzone: 6 attempts, 2 TD, 1 FG (50%)
Turnovers: 3

Passing Leader:
QB #11: 19/31, 336 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT. Rating: 171.3

Rushing Leader:
HB #7: 16 carries, 146 yards, 9.1 AVG, 0 TD

Receving Leader:
WR #2: 5 rec, 87 yards, 17.4 AVG, 1 TD

Game Summary: After getting embarrassed at home, the Vandals bounced back in wine country. Idaho boasted over 600 yards of offense for the 2nd time this season, and left with a convincing 24 point victory. The score may have been even more embarrassing for Sonoma if Idaho didn't turn it over 3 times in the red zone. The game put Idaho back at .500 to remain in postseason talks.

Week 9: Idaho at #24 Ole Miss

Idaho 3(4-5) -- #24 Ole Miss 49(5-3) (simmed)

Idaho Offensive Stats
Total Offense: 191 yards
Rushes/Yards/TD: 24/57/0
Passes/Yards/TD: 29/134/0
3rd downs: 3/13 (23%)
Redzone: 1 attempts, 0 TD, 1 FG (100%)
Turnovers: 4

Passing Leader:
QB #11: 8/28, 127 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT. Rating: 45.2

Rushing Leader:
HB #21: 7 carries, 21 yards, 3.0 AVG, 0 TD

Receving Leader:
TE #86: 4 rec, 76 yards, 19.0 AVG

Game Summary: Idaho made a trip to Mississippi for a money grab this week. Idaho received a $500,000 payout for taking on the Ole Miss powerhouse, but the loss hurt their record dearly. Unsurprisingly, Idaho could not get the ball moving, and could stop Ole Miss either. With only 3 games left, Idaho needs two wins to remain bowl eligible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Late Season Update

Idaho Fights For The Postseason

With just three games left in the season, the Vandals need two wins to become bowl eligible. It may seem like a tall task, but its a vast improvement for a program that is usually not in the talk at this point. "We have put ourselves in a position to snag a postseason spot. Our boys are excited, I know we can do it" said Coach Petrino.

The program has struggled through turnovers and inconsistent play all season. The vandals have given it away 21 times this season, and have had two performances in the last three weeks where they failed to put up any offensive touchdowns. Coach Petrino, however, remained optimistic "These kids played nine straight weeks. With a few bye weeks to finish out the season, we will have some much needed rest and extra preparation time."

On a high note, Idaho landed 10 more verbal commitments in the past few weeks. The commits include four 3 star recruits three JUCO transfers, according to ESPN sources. Coach Petrino credits much of their recruiting success to offensive coordinator Scott Wright. Petrino assigned Wright as his recruiting assistant this season. "With his young age, he has really connected with players coming in. It has been a tremendous help."

The Vandal's finish the season off with a bye week between each of their final three opponents. Their season finishes with games against Old Dominion (3-6), #7 Florida State (7-1), and Texas State (1-7). With the extra prep time, two more wins seems like a very reasonable goal for the Vandals.

Overview

Injuries: LE #40 is listed as questionable with a strained shoulder.

Recruiting news:
3* OLB Nic Watson committed (Sahalee, WA). Overall: 64 (25% scouted)
3* G Dane Jude committed (St. Peters, MO). Overall: 62 (25% scouted)
3* DE Marvin Jenkins committed (Carson City, NV). Overall: 62 (25% scouted)
3* WR Michael Green committed (Poway, CA). Overall: 67 (25% scouted)
2* FS Brian Grant committed (Palm Springs, CA). Overall: 61 (25% scouted)
2* JUCO FS Adam Sparks committed (Battle Mountain, NV). Overall: 70 (25%)
2* OLB Nathan Martinez committed (Park City, UT). Overall: 62 (25% scouted)
2* G Jay Hayes committed (Ridgecrest, WA). Overall: 60 (25% scouted)
1* JUCO RB Jonathan McGee committed (Napa, CA). Overall: 62 (25% scouted)
1* JUCO CB Matt King committed (Portland, OR). Overall: 51 (25% scouted)

Team Stats
Record: 4-5
Points per game: 24.1 (#80)
Total Offense per game: 413 yards (#22)
Rushing Avg: 159.6 (#59)
Passing Average: 253.8 (#21)
Total Defense: 384 (#91)
Rush Defense: 145.9 (#59)
Pass Defense: 238.7 (#100)
Turnover margin: -8

Passing Leader:
QB #12: 96/163, 1414 yards, 6 TD, 12 INT

Rushing Leader:
HB #7: 116 att, 834 yards, 7.2 avg, 7 TD, 92.7 YPG

Receiving Leader:
WR #19: 43 rec, 575 yards, 13.4 avg, 3 TD, 63.9 YPG

Sonoma State: 0-9
Old 12-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Final 3 Games

Week 11: Idaho Vs. Old Dominion

Idaho 55(5-5) -- Old Dominion7(3-7)

Idaho Offensive Stats
Total Offense: 569 yards
Rushes/Yards/TD: 43/271/6
Passes/Yards/TD: 30/298/2
3rd downs: 7/9 (77%)
Redzone: 8 attempts, 7 TD, 0 FG (87%)
Turnovers: 0

Passing Leader:
QB #11: 21/29, 288 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT. Rating: 178.5

Rushing Leader:
HB #7: 16 carries, 127 yards, 7.9 AVG, 3 TD

Receving Leader:
TE #86: 5 rec, 68 yards, 13.6 AVG, 1TD

Game Summary: Idaho came out swinging after a bye week, and Old Dominion never stood a chance. The Vandals offense was firing on all cylinders, and the defense was stout as they cruised into halftime up 35-0. Although both starting wide receivers left the game (WR #2, WR #19) in the first quarter with injuries, the Vandals offense didn't miss a beat. Nine different players caught passes and they scored six times on the ground. The win should help with recruiting, as several prospects paid a visit for the home game. The Monarchs were outmatched from the start, as they dropped to 3-7 and are out of postseason talks. Idaho will head to Florida State in two weeks.

Week 13: Idaho at #4 Florida State

Idaho 28(5-6) -- #4 Florida State31(10-1)
(how bout them Vandals! eh?)

Idaho Offensive Stats
Total Offense: 256 yards
Rushes/Yards/TD: 28/79/2
Passes/Yards/TD: 43/177/1
3rd downs: 4/17 (23%)
Redzone: 4 attempts, 2 TD, 0 FG (0%)
Turnovers: 3

Passing Leader:
QB #11: 13/43, 177 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT. Rating: 63.1

Rushing Leader:
HB #21: 13 carries, 64 yards, 4.9 AVG, 1 TD

Receving Leader:
TE #86: 5 rec, 77 yards, 15.4 AVG

Game Summary: In what was probably their most impressive loss of the season, the Vandals fought hard with the #4 Seminoles, losing only by three points. Down 31-14 early in the fourth, Idaho scored twice to keep it close. They weren't able to stop the Seminoles from running out the clock at the end. the game was supposed to be a pushover, with Idaho receiver $500,000 to play at Florida State. Idaho did their best to play the heartbreaker role and crush FSU's hopes for a national championship. In the end, they came up just short.

After a bye next week, Idaho plays Texas State in a "must win" game for bowl eligibility.

Week 15: (Senior Day) Idaho Vs. Texas State

Idaho 40(6-6) -- Texas State10(1-11)

Idaho Offensive Stats
Total Offense: 528 yards
Rushes/Yards/TD: 38/167/2
Passes/Yards/TD: 21/361/3
3rd downs: 4/7 (57%)
Redzone: 6 attempts, 4 TD, 2 FG (100%)
Turnovers: 0

Passing Leader:
QB #11: 20/21, 282 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT. Rating: 246.4

Rushing Leader:
HB #7: 11 carries, 103 yards, 9.3 AVG, 0 TD

Receving Leader:
TE #86: 6 rec, 97 yards, 16.1 AVG, 1 TD

Game Summary: In a must win game, Idaho came out strong in their final game of the season. Every aspect of the offense was clicking on senior day. QB #11 was on fire, completing his first 18 passes. His first incompletion came with 1:32 left in the 3rd quarter. The aerial assault saw six players record multiple receptions, as QB #11 did not seem to have a favorite among his targets. HB #7 also managed to eclipse the 1000 yard mark for the season with his strong performance, recording 103 yards on just 11 carries, only two of which were in the second half. Idaho brought in the senior QB #12 in the 4th, and he put the icing on the cake with a 79 yard TD pass on his only attempt. Texas State didn't get on the board until the second half and struggled through the whole game, which saw the biggest crowd of the season on hand at the Kibbie Dome. With the win, Idaho hopes to secure a bowl bid.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Season Recap

The Vandals Finish Strong

Rounding out the season with two convincing wins, Idaho finds themselves bowl eligible for the first time since 2010. After a 1-11 campaign in 2012, the Vandals posted a 6-6 record in what was a very impressive turnaround. "I'm very excited to see such a vast improvement" said Athletic Director Rob Spires.

The Vandals posted big numbers in their last few games, coming close to upsetting #4 Florida State. In their final two wins, Idaho posted 55 points and 40 points, respectively.

Idaho had quite a few recruits visit during their final few games, and managed to get five more verbal commitments. Of the five, three of them were 3* recruits out of California. "The recruiting is looking good this year" said coach Petrino, "I think we can have 25 scholarship commits by signing day."

The Vandals will have to wait it out to see if they will get a bowl bid. The bids should come out after next weekends conference championships are finalized.

Overview

Injuries: None

Recruiting news:

3* DE Jeremy Martin committed (Kenner, LA). Overall: 59 (25% scouted)
3* TE Jake Hall committed (Orange, CA). Overall: 66 (25% scouted)
3* SS Jon Sims committed (Huntington Park, CA). Overall: 68 (25% scouted)
2* QB Justin Clemons committed (South Hill, WA). Overall: 57 (25% scouted)
2* G Pat Miller committed (Mt. Vernon, WA). Overall: 55 (25% scouted)

Stats and Team Leaders
Season Stats:
Total Offense: 5073 yards
Passing Yards/TD's: 3120/18
Rushing Yards/TD's: 1953/25
3rd Downs: 59/140 (42%)
Red Zone: 59 trips, 33 TD, 7 FG (67%)
Turnovers: 24 (avg 2 per game)

Passing Leader:
QB #11: 105/192, 1617 yards, 11 TD, 8 INT

Rushing Leader:
HB #7: 149 att, 1080 yards, 7.2 avg, 11 TD, 90 YPG

Receiving Leader:
Catches: WR #19: 50 rec, 694 yards, 13.8 avg, 5 TD, 57.8 YPG
Yards: TE #86: 48 rec, 789 yards, 16.4 avd, 5 TD, 65.7 YPG

Sonoma Completes a Winless First Season

Sonoma State couldn't manage to secure a win through their first season back in football. The struggling program averaged less than ten points per game and finished the season 0-12. Their on campus facilities should be complete for spring football, marking the actual return of football to the campus.

Head coach Bobby Hill may not be making the move with the rest of the team, however. Early reports indicate Sonoma State officials are extremely displeased with his performance. AD Brian Franks didn't mince words. "As we have said, its a tough sport. We don't expect to come out and win ten games in a season. We do, however, expect to see improvement. Considering we lost the final game of the season 28-3, at home, to Portland State (FCS opponent), its safe to say improvements have not been seen." said Franks during the final press conference of the season.

Coach Bobby Hill was less than appreciative. "Its ridiculous...we have a squad of 70 walk on players, with no facilities of our own yet, and they expect something magical" Hill told reporters. "I sure hope they at least give me a shot when we have our own facilities, on campus. Its a different story. If they let me go, well, who would want this job?" He continued. Hill has a valid point. If Sonoma lets him go, it signifies a need for instant results. Most coaches would consider the school a trap, considering their lackluster facilities, lack of scholarship players, and their demand of instant results.

Sonoma State has also considered dropping to the FCS level. Brian Franks indicated these decisions would be made in the coming weeks.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #15
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Post Season Updates

End of 2013 Season

Idaho Gets Passed Up In Bowl Bids

The Idaho Vandals, who finished 6-6, will be one of the few teams this season to not go to a bowling despite achieving eligibility. "It has to do with the fact were not in a conference," said Athelic Director Rob Spires. "With no conference affiliation, every slot was filled. Its very disappointing." He continued.

Idaho will move to the Sun Belt Conference next season. With a conference, they can hope to secure a bowl spot if they are eligible.

Potential Coaching Moves

It appears Offensive Coordinator Scott Wright may not follow the Vandals to the Sun Belt Conference. Early reports indicate several schools may be looking at him as their new coordinator. "He's a young guy with a lot of potential" said Petrino. "I want him to stay, but he may be getting an offer to run an offense for a school in a power five. He can't pass that up, and I'd be selfish to expect him to" Petrino stated.

Wright seemed to be fairly certain he would be moving on. "I've heard a few things buzzing, nothing official yet. We will see. I've loved my time here in Moscow, everything has been great. If I make a move, I'll always remember the shot Coach Petrino gave me" Wright said during the season ending press conference. A few asked if he would be moving on to his alma mater, Sonoma State. "I haven't heard anything yet. I don't know if coach Hill is looking for a new OC down there, but if he is I would love a shot. It would be nice to get back there, I have always loved the area."

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 12-23-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Coaching Change

Sonoma State Fires Hill, Looking for Change

Rohnert Park, CA -- Sonoma State Athletic Director Brian Franks announced today that the school was terminating the contract with coach Bobby Hill. Hill announced he would be returning to head coach duties at local Santa Rosa Junior College, where he coached before Sonoma State. The split was not amicable. "I'm a bit peeved, absolutely. They gave me one season with only walk on players. I wish they would have had some faith in me" stated Hill. Hill will reportedly take many of his recruits with him to the junior college, as they also showed little faith in Sonoma State.

"We had goals, Coach Hill failed to meet them" said Brian Franks. "Instead of making excuses, we want a coach who makes progress. That can be in the form of wins, sportsmanship, and overall morale. Our next coach will be someone who we think can actually bring success to the table, even if its minimal." Franks noted he was particularly displeased with the fact the Seawolves were involved in five fist fights during the season. "It showed Coach Hill had a lack of control over the players. Losing is bad enough, fighting is unacceptable" Franks concluded.

Franks stated they have several candidates in mind, but refused to disclose who the job would be offered to. There is some speculation they may make an offer to Petrino, the head coach at Idaho. Their candidate pool will likely be a small one, as not many coaches look forward to taking over a startup program with lackluster support and facilities.

Sonoma State toyed with the idea of dropping to the FCS level, before it was too late. The idea was shot down with strong opposition by students and alumni. "Something has to change though, we need better attendance at games in order to make this a viable program." said Franks.

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 12-23-2015 at 06:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »