Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #289
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I must be playing a different game...I have won every Season mode event i have played. In TOUR Pro difficulty. I still feel challenged because I am not winning tournaments by 10-20 strokes like I was in TW09. Online though, I am not as good and find all the challenge I want there.

Agree with the announcer criticisms as they aren't as good as Feherty and McCord.....and customizable online tournaments are a great idea and something I have been recommending to TW Devs...
You clearly haven't been messing with the club tuner and lowering your sweetspots.

That ... and I suck at putting.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #290
Banned

OVR: 3
Post Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Impressions (PS3, 360)

I picked up this game the other day because I decided not to buy NCAA 10' this year and needed a game to substitute it. I haven't played a golf game since HSG for PS2 about 6-7 years ago. I am brand new to the TW series and am impressed so far. I know what some people are talking about when they bash this game and say it's the same as years past ( thats why I am not purchasing NCAA Football 10' this year) . Anyway, like I said i'm enjoying it so far trying to build up my career guy to be competitive on the tour. Oh I used my picture to create my player and I must say it came out great. Its funny to see myself as an animation. I'm using PRO with boost and spin off but am leaving the preview putt feature on because I feel it's a good feature and doesn't take that much away from realism like guess pitch does to MLB The Show. I wanted to post my impressions of the game as well as get maybe any tips on adding to gameplay or settings to add to realism. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #291
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've been playing the ps3 version for two or three days now and am impressed with the gameplay. Negative comments which I read on this board turn out to have been wrong 1) tempo DOES matter when swinging - if you pause at the top of the swing you will lose power 2) sidehill lies DO cause the ball to go somewhat left or right, though I'm still not sure if uphill and downhill lies have any effect 3) according to one of the tutorials, the ball CAN land anywhere in the target zone, not always the same place.

I thought the club tuner was one of the TW devs' best ever innovations last year and still think so. Being able to customise the game difficulty just the way one wants is great. It's a shame the offline tournaments (I don't play online) aren't more customisable. I haven't started playing them yet but already fear from what I've read of the unrealistic AI scoring, the lack of any apparent connection between AI scoring and course difficulty/conditions and the overdoing of rain and strong winds in the 'random weather' feature that the offline tournaments will be a disappointment for me. One other gameplay feature, new this year, which I'm enjoying, is the ability to have practice swings which tell you just how much power you're using. This makes those tricky in-between-distances approach shots much easier to judge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #292
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
Negative comments which I read on this board turn out to have been wrong 1) tempo DOES matter when swinging - if you pause at the top of the swing you will lose power
Losing a few yards and with no accuracy penalty can hardly be called a tempo-relative swing. There are two issues here. First, swing a golf club, stop and hold the swing with your arms above your head for several seconds, then finish the swing and tell me how far and how accurately you hit the ball. I guarantee you will not blast it 270 yards down the middle of the fairway. In other words, a realistic tempo-relative swing is not incorporated into the game.

The second issue here has to do with overswinging, and the lack thereof in this game. During one of the Tournament Challenge flashbacks, Tiger talks about hitting the ball on one hole with extra mustard, in order to get it around the trees and onto the green. Well that swing dynamic simply doesn't exist in the game on Tour difficulty. Unlike Links 2004, there's no ability in this game to overswing, in order to punch the ball that extra 10-15 yards when you need to. And that again is because there's no tempo-relative swing incorporated into the game.

Last edited by baa7; 06-23-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #293
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
3) according to one of the tutorials, the ball CAN land anywhere in the target zone, not always the same place.
The tutorial lies. Go to the club tuner or a flat hole with no wind. Take 2(or 200) straight swings. The ball will land exactly in the middle of the circle and exactly on top of the shot(s) before. The tutorial is probably a carry over from '07.

I like the game but this is one of the biggest flaws regardless of what the tutorial claims.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #294
Banned

I'll add another thought regarding tempo-relative swinging: try this experiment. Try and hit the ball 5 yards with your driver. You can't, because it can't be done. The game programming cheats by assisting you with every swing you take. If I pull the club back 6 inches and strike the ball with my driver, it should roll 10 feet, max. In TW, it flies off the club and into the air, and travels 50-60 yards. In other words, again, nothing remotely close to what can be called a tempo-relative swing. This "swing cheat" programming has always been a part of this game. The real-time swing dynamic the PGA 2000 developers brought over from that series has been dumbed down for TW series.

Last edited by baa7; 06-23-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #295
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I'll add another thought regarding tempo-relative swinging: try this experiment. Try and hit the ball 5 yards with your driver. You can't, because it can't be done. The game programming cheats by assisting you with every swing you take. If I pull the club back 6 inches and strike the ball with my driver, it should roll 10 feet, max. In TW, it flies off the club and into the air, and travels 50-60 yards. In other words, again, nothing remotely close to what can be called a tempo-relative swing. This "swing cheat" programming has always been a part of this game. The real-time swing dynamic the PGA 2000 developers brought over from that series has been dumbed down for TW series.
Isn't what you just described a tempo-relative swing interface? It's not 1:1 but it is "relative". Given the limitations of the stick on the X360 controller you can't compare this to a PC golf game with mouse support.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #296
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
Isn't what you just described a tempo-relative swing interface? It's not 1:1 but it is "relative".
I don't see how hitting a golf ball using a six inch backswing and watching it travel 50 yards, could in any way, shape or form be considered "tempo-relative." Maybe relative in relation to unreality, or perhaps Moon physics...?

Maybe part of the issue has to do with a lack of sensitivity with the console controller as you said. But when this issue is brought up, Links 2004 on the Xbox is always cited as a game that included a workable and well-done tempo-relative swing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »