Home

Is EA Sports PGA Tour Losing Its Sim?

This is a discussion on Is EA Sports PGA Tour Losing Its Sim? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Is EA Sports PGA Tour Losing Its Sim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
EA often uses development cycles and first attempts as an excuse for lack of quality and support of titles...so of course when resources are used in such an arcade way we know given EA's history and way of doing things that somewhere else the game is going to be shorthanded.

But hey, they're trying to sell games and I don't blame them in this specific situation:

1.) I'm not aware of a BIG golf gaming community that clamors for sim
2.) They lost Tiger and need some way to Jazz it up, so they go back to what they do best - ARCADE
3.) Sales..they're trying to bring in the kids.
The bold would be my worry too. The fact that they found it necessary to make this "fantasy course" a part of their focus and presentation worries me. Sure, it may only be one course, but how much time was spent developing it and what other parts of the game suffered because of it. All you have to do is look at EA's Madden to see what happens when you concentrate on fancy features and gimmicks and let core game play issues go.

Their video lost me at the battle ship intro. I'll stick with The Golf Club and Links for my golf fix.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #18
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
If I'm not forced to use it during career/season mode - than why worry about what fantasy course they put in the game. This series has had fantasy courses for years, so I am not sure what the issue is?

Am I missing something?
That's how I feel about this. If its like the current fantasy courses in the game, where they are just there as an option to play if I want to and I'm not forced to use them in any way, shape, or form, then I don't really care. As long as the game play gets better, and we have far more real and authentic courses, then I'm alright with it. Afterall, its no different than how TW14 was.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #19
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
That's how I feel about this. If its like the current fantasy courses in the game, where they are just there as an option to play if I want to and I'm not forced to use them in any way, shape, or form, then I don't really care. As long as the game play gets better, and we have far more real and authentic courses, then I'm alright with it. Afterall, its no different than how TW14 was.
Your point is well taken, but I think it's the larger, overall gestalt that the TW series has been ever-more casually-oriented that is the most off-putting. As others have stated, since the name change of the franchise to "Tiger Woods" from "PGA", I think that was the turning point. Since then, it's been all free-fall downhill in my opinion. Thank goodness there are no competitor products, otherwise an entire gaming niche/genre would be essentially unserved.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0
If anyone is familiar with the older platforms like N64 PS1 and the likes, this reminds me of a throwback to those consoles. Where companies would intertwine games. I think this is a refreshing idea... As was said before, this is a fantasy course and it seems that you arent forced to play it. Remember, its a video game. If you want ultra-realism, go pick up some clubs and hit the links.

Also repeat to yourself "its just a game, I should really just relax"
For the PGA tour video game
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #21
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

OVR: 1
I see a lot of people are wondering why EA would do this to their golf game. What are we doing right now? We are talking about a golf game. One that isn't even out yet and that doesn't have a "cover boy" anymore. They are using "shock tactics" in order to create an imprint in your mind about a golf game. For all of you that say you aren't buying the game, a few of you will the same people that walk by the video game store/section a few months after it's out, see the game and pick it up just to give it a try. More than likely, you probably wont even remember that you did(or didn't) like the battleship thing but the game will stand out to you and that's all that EA is trying to do, grab the casual/on the fence player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
If I'm not forced to use it during career/season mode - than why worry about what fantasy course they put in the game. This series has had fantasy courses for years, so I am not sure what the issue is?

Am I missing something?
Agreed with bluengold, they have had these fantasy courses in there before and it was always kind of cool to play them. To me some of their fantasy courses have been the most challenging since they can kind of push the limits a bit more. So I'm all for it.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #23
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG
I see a lot of people are wondering why EA would do this to their golf game. What are we doing right now? We are talking about a golf game. One that isn't even out yet and that doesn't have a "cover boy" anymore. They are using "shock tactics" in order to create an imprint in your mind about a golf game. For all of you that say you aren't buying the game, a few of you will the same people that walk by the video game store/section a few months after it's out, see the game and pick it up just to give it a try. More than likely, you probably wont even remember that you did(or didn't) like the battleship thing but the game will stand out to you and that's all that EA is trying to do, grab the casual/on the fence player.
nope. we did not have options in years past. now we do. if golf club tanks, im sure many folks will give EA a try...but they are certainly losing the sim golfing gamer for now.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #24
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
Since when was any of their Golf games a sim. What kind of sim lets you power up your shots and stuff like that?
Exactly! Guys were shooting in the 50/60's on the the hardest setting. Nothing about their game has technically been sim.

With that said, I won't be purchasing it. With the other golf game soon to hit shelves, I only need one golf game in my life.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »