Home

Tuning AM: My Theory

This is a discussion on Tuning AM: My Theory within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #17
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Tuning AM: My Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeercy
If there are no/few penalties, it’s incredibly unrealistic and I just can’t get into it.
When they are maxed I was seeing around 4-10 per game, it's definitely something I wish they would fix.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
When they are maxed I was seeing around 4-10 per game, it's definitely something I wish they would fix.
So maxed penalties with everything else default?
Old 03-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #19
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

Quote:
So maxed penalties with everything else default?
When I use my slider settings, I have them all maxed except for illegal block in the back and roughing the passer, those are left at default 50. So I'm sure those could be used with default sliders or a set from the forum.

For the 2025 season, I'm going on defaults for a bit just to see how the stats look all around.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #20
Rookie

Decent at Best's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I'm on next gen playing on AM and have had pass blocking at 35, WR Catch at 45 and QB ACC at default 50 along with pass defense sliders at default for probably at least 3 full Franchise seasons. Even in games where they've blown me out, no CPU QB has had over 73% completion percentage in any game against me(full length games) some games against bad QB's I've held them to low 50s percentage with most games hovering between 60-65 percent.

IMO with a lower pass block rating and slightly lowered pass catching, CPU QB accuracy doesn't have to be lowered because I'm seeing enough off target passes, drops, and PBUs, and throwaways to create realistic CPU passing that is heavily ratings and personnel dependent.
Interesting. I've always been one to try and keep everything as close to default as possible. Just got NG last week and was gonna give these a shot. A few questions. You're playing on complete default other than the 2 changes you posted ? And what clock/accel clock are you using?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
When I use my slider settings, I have them all maxed except for illegal block in the back and roughing the passer, those are left at default 50. So I'm sure those could be used with default sliders or a set from the forum.

For the 2025 season, I'm going on defaults for a bit just to see how the stats look all around.
Ok. Your sliders appear to nerf the CPU quite a bit. Did you move to default bc it was too easy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #22
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

Quote:
Ok. Your sliders appear to nerf the CPU quite a bit. Did you move to default bc it was too easy?
NG sliders? The settings for CPU are very close to HUM except for rushing which is increased for the CPU and interceptions, which are reduced for the CPU.

For me, they played quite well and very challenging, I'm in 2024 and have a very good team. I would rattle off 4 wins then lose 4 in a row.

I tend to go back to defaults after a patch just to see how it plays then tweak my current sliders if needed. In this case, I had a fantastic game on AM default so I wanted more games.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #23
MVP

tyler28's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNautilus
Though terribly belated, I wanted to post some insights I've come to about tuning AM in the event that they're helpful to others.

The bugbear with AM is, in my view, the issue of QB play and the strength of the CPU passing game.

I've tried in the past to address this issue primarily by lowering QBA significantly. I've had some success with this strategy but have also felt like drastically lower QBA values negatively affect CPU offensive performance, QB AI in particular.

Through recent study of MizzouRah's and Hunkerdown's sets, as well as my own testing, it's become clear to me that PBK and WRC are actually the main drivers of CPU passing game outcomes and that you can season the CPU passing game to taste simply by manipulating these values.

WRC around 40 opens up a whole new range of contested catch animations that help improve coverage and normalize CMP % for the CPU. PBK between 35-40 also opens up a new set of QB behaviors that lead to more rushed throws due to pressure, as well asl off-platform throws. These also create more realistic misfires and help normalize CMP % for the CPU.

With these two adjustments, I'm now able to leave QBA at 50. Moreover, I'm able to run the full assortment of coverages. I had previously found off man 100% useless and had to press in every coverage in order to have even a shot of causing an incompletion. Now, even off man coverage can be effective.

I play on LG and on the OOTB version of the game, so take the above in that context.

I hope this helps!
Ive said for a while now that to adjust cpu qb play is to go through wr catch.

I appreciate the insights, but nothing really new here.

The problem i find is that most people only "listen" too the main slider guys and dismiss us small guys. To each its own i guess. Sliders are very personal so its not a one size fit all.

And im not at all trying to bash the big guys, ive tried all their sets for years. But unless a value is changed in one of those threads it will often be overlooked and passed by. Now say matt10 comes out and says " the only way to fix ai qb is to lower catch" then is will be gospel. Lol.

Not a big promoter of my own set but ive had amazing statistical results in passing on both sides. Ive never really saw the qb completion issue in 21 because i used catching as the adjustor from the beginning of this year. Madden 20 is were i started to see catching becoming a factor because accuracy doesnt do much at all on cpu side and i had to use drops as "inacuracies"

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #24
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decent at Best
Interesting. I've always been one to try and keep everything as close to default as possible. Just got NG last week and was gonna give these a shot. A few questions. You're playing on complete default other than the 2 changes you posted ? And what clock/accel clock are you using?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Operation Sports mobile app
Speed threshold at 75-Faster guys still never get caught from behind by slower players if they don't have the angle or aren't greatly fatigued.

User run block at 40- Some people say otherwise which is crazy to me, but blocking is really good now. I see some people also put it much lower, but I don't want to reward the CPU teams who have poor defensive lines. If the CPU has a great run stopping front seven then I usually have a YPC under 3.5 in those games.

This was a major one that I forgot about, and experimented with quite a bit to find a good balance. User and CPU tackling at 37. If you don't have great tacklers or have players with poor pursuit, then great backs and great running QBs are a problem. This opens the game up a lot IMO, you can't have a light box against great running teams and of course more in the box opens up 1 on 1 opportunities in the passing game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »