Home

Formation Subs for back up running backs

This is a discussion on Formation Subs for back up running backs within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2024, 04:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Formation Subs for back up running backs

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out what formations I should out my backup running backs in for every nfl team. You have a (Elusive Back), (Power Back), and (Balanced Back) so I am trying to figure out what formations I should put them in. If anyone can help I would appreciate it thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2024, 06:47 PM   #2
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Formation Subs for back up running backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuddyyy
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out what formations I should out my backup running backs in for every nfl team. You have a (Elusive Back), (Power Back), and (Balanced Back) so I am trying to figure out what formations I should put them in. If anyone can help I would appreciate it thanks.
Generally speaking you'd prefer to have your power back in any under center inside runs as they are normally bigger and stronger and will be running into more guys stacked on the LOS. For tosses / outside runs you may want to consider your elusive back as its a race to the corner and speed kills.

In shotgun you'll likely be more pass heavy: this is where you want to utilize the shiftier, faster backs like elusive and balanced for not only speed but their ability to run routes and catch the ball out of the backfield as well. Keep in mind that you also want your HB to have good pass blocking skills. On pass plays where you are going to keep your back in to block, you should consider using the balanced or even power back.

There's exceptions to the rules as always and it comes down to your ratings / players / scheme etc. but this is the thought process I generally followwhen setting up formation subs for the CPU teams in my franchise.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:48 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML
Generally speaking you'd prefer to have your power back in any under center inside runs as they are normally bigger and stronger and will be running into more guys stacked on the LOS. For tosses / outside runs you may want to consider your elusive back as its a race to the corner and speed kills.

In shotgun you'll likely be more pass heavy: this is where you want to utilize the shiftier, faster backs like elusive and balanced for not only speed but their ability to run routes and catch the ball out of the backfield as well. Keep in mind that you also want your HB to have good pass blocking skills. On pass plays where you are going to keep your back in to block, you should consider using the balanced or even power back.

There's exceptions to the rules as always and it comes down to your ratings / players / scheme etc. but this is the thought process I generally followwhen setting up formation subs for the CPU teams in my franchise.

Does it show the plays in the formation subs?

Last edited by Zuddyyy; 01-29-2024 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:50 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Before even considering formation subs, starting with Madden 19 there are now depth chart positions for 3rd Down Running Back (3DRB) and Power Halfback (PWHB).

As long as there is no formation substitution configured or right-stick package substitution active:

- 3DRB will replace HB in most shotgun formations where the quarterback and running back line up at the same depth (for example, Gun Trey Open); and
- PWHB will replace HB in most if not all under-center formations with two running backs and one or fewer wide receivers
Old 01-30-2024, 02:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML

How do I only put that one player in that running play for like inside runs or outside runs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2024, 08:04 AM   #6
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

Use the right stick sub facility to pick a package like "sub HB" to change out.
The three HB depth chart options, plus right stick subs, is better than formation subs.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:30 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie71
Use the right stick sub facility to pick a package like "sub HB" to change out.
The three HB depth chart options, plus right stick subs, is better than formation subs.

Sorry but I cpu vs cpu slow sim

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »