Home

Casual Gamer - Next Gen

This is a discussion on Casual Gamer - Next Gen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Casual Gamer - Next Gen

I think the majority of Madden fans are casual gamers. I am a sim Madden player and I notice all of the flaws with the game and all of the details they leave out. However, when it comes to NBA basketball I'm a casual gamer. I personally think NBA 2K is amazing looking. However, when I go to the forums hardcore NBA fans pick that game apart too. So maybe Madden really isn't that bad, just us hardcore gamers notice all of the little imperfections. I showed the Madden trailer to my brother, who's not a hardcore football gamer and he thought it looked awesome. When I read the 2k forums, I just want to be like "you guys are nitpicking soooo much." But then I realize, I do the same thing with Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Casual Gamer - Next Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollon42
When I read the 2k forums, I just want to be like "you guys are nitpicking soooo much." But then I realize, I do the same thing with Madden.

Post of the year. I stopped posting when I realized this same thing. Its almost like the games we are not diehard fans of are where we get an unrealistic expectation of how our game should be.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

This is partly true I believe. The difference is NBA 2k has been the most realistic NBA game produced. There still to this day have been football games that can be considered more realistic. I believe alot of NBA2k fans are simply spoiled by the level NBA 2k has gone to. It's held to a different standard. If all they had to play was NBA Live, alot of the complainers would be singing a different tune.

Also alot of the NBA 2k complaints are things people want corrected within the game to advance the gameplay. Some things have not been done in NBA2k or in an NBA game period. Madden alot of the complaints are things that have already been done. Alot of us just want the game to catch up to games we've played in the past.

Being a casual or a hardcore NBA fan, you can't deny that the game looks authentic in motion. Madden doesn't even look the part. Everything just looks underwhelming. The devs are even admitting that now.

Madden can be a fun game if you just let everything go and play. Even then though it's hard for me personally because the game is not pretty in motion, and the presentation isn't very immersive. So much just takes me out of the experience. If you aren't looking for much Madden can be a fun good game though.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

Last edited by SageInfinite; 11-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

I too am a more "casual" NBA player and a die-hard sim style Madden guy. Still, I can get some enjoyment from Madden.

But regarding the realism of the motion of the athletes in the game and the presentation: I have never had a family member who is not a gamer visit and mistake Madden for a real broadcast. NBA 2k....yes.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Banned

billsmafia13's Arena

OVR: 0

I can enjoy madden as a casual gamer as well, but I find too many basic components of the game to be flawed.

Ex. I can't stand the throwing animations in madden. The sig styles rarely work, in stead you have the qb raising his back leg like Nolan Ryan throwing off a mound.

The same goes for the running animations. I mean that's so basic but it looks awful.

I notice lots of flaws in 2k, the game pisses me off many times. But there are still lots of moments where I replay a jumpshot or layup or pick n roll that looked sweet. And it's enough to keep me engaged.

I can't remember the last time I replayed a run on madden and felt wowed by how real it felt and looked. Or even splitting a pass between the safety on cover two without throwing a laser beam.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Banned

While this is true, there's a big difference between Madden "nitpicking" and 2k "nitpicking". In 2k's case there are guys that have a problem with online play as people just chuck threes and play cheesy. But mostly the nitpicking that goes on over there is relatively minute things such as lack of camera men or how the jerseys fit the players or even where the letters are placed on the jerseys. Things like these are chief concerns over there. Now relatively speaking these are pretty small in comparison to the game breaking issues that Madden face.

The "nitpicking" issues that Madden faces are things detriment to it playing like a truly sim game. Things basic to the game of football aren't realistically represented in Madden which you could see in the many videos that have been put up comparing it to "he whose name shall not be spoken". The reason these issues are really even seen as nitpicking is because people have grown complacent to the style of play that Madden represents as well as the fact that the ratio between criticism and praise of this game is so uneven on these forums. This can be seen based on the fact that there's a need for a whole thread dedicated to acknowledging the positives of Madden.

Now this is not to say that there aren't critiques of Madden that can be seen as inconsequential but the balance between small issues and big ones is in my eyes far more one sided in Madden's case.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
While this is true, there's a big difference between Madden "nitpicking" and 2k "nitpicking". In 2k's case there are guys that have a problem with online play as people just chuck threes and play cheesy. But mostly the nitpicking that goes on over there is relatively minute things such as lack of camera men or how the jerseys fit the players or even where the letters are placed on the jerseys. Things like these are chief concerns over there. Now relatively speaking these are pretty small in comparison to the game breaking issues that Madden face.

The "nitpicking" issues that Madden faces are things detriment to it playing like a truly sim game. Things basic to the game of football aren't realistically represented in Madden which you could see in the many videos that have been put up comparing it to "he whose name shall not be spoken". The reason these issues are really even seen as nitpicking is because people have grown complacent to the style of play that Madden represents as well as the fact that the ratio between criticism and praise of this game is so uneven on these forums. This can be seen based on the fact that there's a need for a whole thread dedicated to acknowledging the positives of Madden.

Now this is not to say that there aren't critiques of Madden that can be seen as inconsequential but the balance between small issues and big ones is in my eyes far more one sided in Madden's case.

Good post man.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
This is partly true I believe. The difference is NBA 2k has been the most realistic NBA game produced. There still to this day have been football games that can be considered more realistic. I believe alot of NBA2k fans are simply spoiled by the level NBA 2k has gone to. It's held to a different standard. If all they had to play was NBA Live, alot of the complainers would be singing a different tune.

Also alot of the NBA 2k complaints are things people want corrected within the game to advance the gameplay. Some things have not been done in NBA2k or in an NBA game period. Madden alot of the complaints are things that have already been done. Alot of us just want the game to catch up to games we've played in the past.

Being a casual or a hardcore NBA fan, you can't deny that the game looks authentic in motion. Madden doesn't even look the part. Everything just looks underwhelming. The devs are even admitting that now.

Madden can be a fun game if you just let everything go and play. Even then though it's hard for me personally because the game is not pretty in motion, and the presentation isn't very immersive. So much just takes me out of the experience. If you aren't looking for much Madden can be a fun good game though.
wow. this is why madden isn't improving, because of this thinking.

it's not that 2k fans are "spoiled". it's that they're used to a quality game. madden is not a quality game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »