Home

How do you lead a WR on streak?

This is a discussion on How do you lead a WR on streak? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
How do you lead a WR on streak?

Every time I throw a deep ball it is always under thrown so I think I'm doing something wrong. How do you lead a guy to get the pass out in front of him when he's running a streak down field?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: How do you lead a WR on streak?

You hold up on the left analog stick.

Unless the receiver beats the corner at the line, there's a good chance the ball is going to get knocked down or intercepted.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame

Last edited by bigbob; 10-15-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:19 AM   #3
Banned

RoDogz85's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
You hold up on the right analog stick.

Unless the receiver beats the corner at the line, there's a good chance the ball is going to get knocked down or intercepted.
It's left on the analogue stick.. Right will make your QB dance around and try avoid the rush..

What I do is hold up until my QB takes about two steps up in the pocket then tap the button you wish to throw to..

Basically the left analogue stick (with passing) helps guide the ball to where you want it placed.. Hold it left and he will throw to the WR's left.. Hold it right and he will throw it ti the right of the WR etc..
Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #4
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Yep its holding the direction you want it to go on the left stick.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

In all honesty the odds of leading a WR deep and overthrowing are very slim in this years version. Quite disappointing as the DB's are much more aggressive towards these passes than the WR's.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

If you are under throwing even when holding up on the left stick, my question would be how long are you waiting to throw it? If you wait too long the WR will be 30-40 yards up the field (before you throw it) and most QB's can't lead a receiver when they are already 50-60 yards up the field, thus allowing the DB's to catch up and intercept/deflect it.

You should be throwing it when the receiver is about 15-20 yards past the line of scrimmage. Any further and your most likely not going to have the QB arm strength to lead the receiver too far.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I have had pretty decent success throwing deep balls, but the two QB's I play with are RGIII(online) and Carr(franchise) and both have good arm strength. When throwing the streak, I usually throw the ball when the WR is 10-15 yards down field and am basically anticipating him to get by his defender. You pretty much have to learn what it looks like when you have a chance to beat the AI deep. If I see the safety is shadowing that side preplay and then when I hike it and the safety is dropping back that way, I immediately look somewhere else as the chances of competing it then are slim to none.

A lot of it just comes down to matchups and getting the right defense to do it against. A lot of my success with it comes from running the ball a lot and the AI starts loading the box, leaving one safety high, then that's when I start going with the deep routes until they start calling plays again to take it away. Then you can run it or go underneath again to beat them.

Also, I have noticed that when I call PA passes that have deep crossing routes, I tend to get a WR behind the whole defense and when the guy is wide open like they get by 10 yards or so, I throw the bullet in that situation and generally get a TD every time. All the other times I normally lob it or try and get the in between pass(or what seems like it an in between pass, definitely not a bullet).

Hopefully this helps!

― Plato
Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDogz85
It's left on the analogue stick.. Right will make your QB dance around and try avoid the rush..

What I do is hold up until my QB takes about two steps up in the pocket then tap the button you wish to throw to..

Basically the left analogue stick (with passing) helps guide the ball to where you want it placed.. Hold it left and he will throw to the WR's left.. Hold it right and he will throw it ti the right of the WR etc..
I always forget which analog it is unless I'm actually holding it in my hand. It's weird. Thanks though!

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »