Home

The art of the (in stride) long ball.

This is a discussion on The art of the (in stride) long ball. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #25
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: The art of the (in stride) long ball.

Anybody who defends this portion of the game infuriates me.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

Why? Do you find it too easy or too hard to complete deep passes? I wouldn't want it any easier.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #27
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

I have hit tall 6'3+ WR's, sub 6' 94+speed WR's, and combinations in between. First things first our sliders increase the effectiveness in the defense comapared to All-Madden (60 reaction, 100 INT, 100 coverage, QB Acc 25).

So if it can be done on those sliders any users having trouble should re-evaluate their approach. I try to make sure the QB has 90+ THP, and at least 80 DAC (preferably higher) if you want consistency.

I hot route the WR to the deep fade (not a streak), take the CPU drop, then step up, and hold up on the LS/tap the corresponding WR button. Switch to WR while the ball is in the air and 'aggressive' catch by holding 'Y' button.

Now If you do not have a speed or height advantage the deep ball is difficult to take advantage of, but IMO that is what evens out it's potential for being over-powered. I prefer to avoid INT's but if I pressed the issue I could definitely complete 2-4 a game pending match-ups.

Example, Revis, Browner, Sherman, or other elite DB's with speed and/or height I keep the ball in front of them and work shor to intermediate, unless I get a great look (user vs user league play).

I use my best WR as my #2 on the depth chart as the #2 DB is generally at a fairly substantial disadvantage. Food for thought, hope that helps.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

I have no issues throwing the deep ball either.. I believe I posted a few videos in another thread a few months back when me and a few guys were trying to figure out where the accuracy should be at to throw the deep ball. When the USER accuracy is below 6 the QB will short arm the deep throw most of the time but you can definitely hit the deep ball at a realistic percentage with the USER accuracy at 6 and above. It's all about the timing of you throw like Charter said earlier. My problem with the passing was the WRs not fighting for the ball when it's in the air which they supposedly fixed for Madden 16.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

If we're talking about flat out streak patterns, its really hard and not worth the risk of a pick, imho

I have much better luck on deep ins or posts. The hail Mary shotgun package has a bunch of these, especially smash patterns. Takes great timing and the right read, and it's a 40 yard gain if you get it.

I hit one the other night, a deep post right before the safety could get over with the training CB...right at the goal line for a TD.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

The deep passing game was too easy this past Madden in my opinion.

I looked over stats in some online leagues and the numbers were very high.

Specifically regarding 1v1 streaks -- the problem is how it plays out, but the results are usually fine (more interceptions than what should be, but otherwise fine). I'm sorry to use this line guys, but watch a NFL game. The majority of deep streaks don't come close to being completed. Frequently QBs overthrow the guy or lead him out of bounds. Well in Madden they slightly underthrow it instead.
If we want sim many deep passes should be well off the mark. Something tells me that most gamers (OS included) would be quick to complain about that.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #31
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Deep passes are my white whale, my long pass plays can probably be counted on one hand by the end of the season (when playing on a reasonable difficulty) and they're on seam to the TE on a double safety blitz that I'm lucky to get off, a cover 2 and the safety whiffs coming over after my WR's been chucked and hits the gap along the side or the rare hail mary-type pass deep to one guy that I have little faith will be complete. Those last ones are the only ones that really ever seem close to being 'in stride' and don't involve some kind of hitch after the catch to start upfield and gain meaningful yardage.

Would be cool to see this 'fixed', but have long just worked within the system and not thrown deep for a long time and blame equal parts me not identifying opportunities and the mechanics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Deep passes are my white whale, my long pass plays can probably be counted on one hand by the end of the season (when playing on a reasonable difficulty) and they're on seam to the TE on a double safety blitz that I'm lucky to get off, a cover 2 and the safety whiffs coming over after my WR's been chucked and hits the gap along the side or the rare hail mary-type pass deep to one guy that I have little faith will be complete. Those last ones are the only ones that really ever seem close to being 'in stride' and don't involve some kind of hitch after the catch to start upfield and gain meaningful yardage.

Would be cool to see this 'fixed', but have long just worked within the system and not thrown deep for a long time and blame equal parts me not identifying opportunities and the mechanics.
I have not played Madden since jan-feb so I could be off a bit but there were things I did for my deep passes.
I use the Ravens and my deep completion % to Torrey Smith was much higher than it should be.

Before each franchise game I checked the matchups so I knew where to put Torrey so he could do the most damage (shame the AI never adjusts). Then thoughout the game I keep an eye on it. Not having safety help is not the only thing to look for. Obviously you should have the speed advantage, but alignment and press ratings are equally important. If your WR's rls>the CB's prs rating, if you see the CB on the LOS and the safety is not a threat look for your shot. Do not wait until the WR has a step -- if he beats the press start your throwing process. For deep streaks that means move your QB up in the pocket. Take a last peek at the safety and then let it rip. When the ball is enroute is when the WR should gain his separation. Unless you have an absolute beast forget about the fly route if the CB is off the LOS. You can complete one here and there, but it is not a good practice.

But by far the best deep route is the wheel route from the slot. Put your burner in the slot and have the outside WR run a intermediate route that breaks inside with preferably an inside release. Happy fun time will follow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »