Home

Some Madden NFL 16 Features Revealed, Pre-Order & Deluxe Edition Details

This is a discussion on Some Madden NFL 16 Features Revealed, Pre-Order & Deluxe Edition Details within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #249
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Some Madden NFL 16 Features Revealed, Pre-Order & Deluxe Edition Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
Let me clarify this for you guys. We have added new functionality to total control passing this year. We are building additional layers onto what was already there.

The new passing mechanics this year are the ability to throw low and high passes (relative to the receivers body) we also added touch passes which have a higher arc and a sharper drop. It is used for putting balls over the heads of underneath zone defenders and in front of deep zone defenders.
Great to hear you're working on passing. I wish it didn't involve layering total control functioning or throw a wr controls on top of the tethered system. It just makes for different levels of an arcadey feel to me.

The route based/maximum control passing found in All Pro Football allows you to place the ball relative to a wrs route and helps eliminate the psychic wr feel in Madden. I'd love to see you switch to that someday.

Just one man's opinion. Thanks for taking the time to interact with us.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #250
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
A game designer's job isn't just to provide "vision".

A game designer describes how a system will work. He gives the roadmap to the programmers as to what they should write, including implementation details (what ratings are relevant to an interaction between two players, the high-level approach to the AI in a scenario, and so on). Programmers at large game development studios often don't have creative liberty to just code whatever they want - at least on the first pass before any revision happens - and the details of the system most likely have already been worked out and agreed upon beforehand.
Yes, that's all true. 100%. But for a football game especially, and I and Clint actually had a short talk on Twitter about this, it's hard for a person with football knowledge at the level a pro player like Clint does to be able to make a programmer who may not have that knowledge understand all of the nuances that a pro player is aware of to be able to play the position properly no matter how it's explained. The split-second decision making that has to be made with a level of knowledge of what to do in that moment is tough to translate from the mind of a pro football player to a programmer who doesn't have that knowledge. And some of it isn't even fundamental, it can be inherent to that player and that player does it a certain way because it somehow works for him.

And believe me, I'm not saying this issue is only with this development because this an issue that has to be dealt with in any development. I get that. But what makes me question what the focus is for this sort of thing with this team is when even basic football fundamentals are glossed over. I remember I was talking to Clint about the glaring issues with QB mechanics and running fundamentals and he just dismissed it as being too minor. That says to me that it may not just be an issue of programming--which we can both agree on--and that it may be an issue of development focus.

Granted, what they focus on internally often has to have differences to what we're focusing on externally, but I just want to see minor quality gaps addressed like QB mechanics or ball carrying fundamentals before they attempt going after the big ones; I want to see that they can get the basic things corrected before I can have faith that they can tackle the bigger issues. And this was my contention back in late 2010 when they started mentioning work on RTP at the office. I asked Ian "Why would you guys even consider that before addressing the core animation issues", and he was like "Man, there is a lot of buzz about real-time physics since Natural Motion made it a thing, so we need to get out in front of it" and then he proceeded to make a series of jokes about Backbreaker, but whatever... I was highly against it because I knew it was essentially throwing something new on top of something flawed, and we see how that turned out, and to make it worse it wasn't cheap and there was a ton of development focus given to it. What could've been accomplished had that focus been on cleaning up and correcting the mountain of animation issues the game has been carrying since Madden 06 (with some of those animations still in the game)? I have to believe it would be in a much better position than it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Basically what I'm trying to say that if you aren't satisfied with how Madden does things, it's not just the programmers' fault. That's oversimplifying the process.
Agreed.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #251
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

@Rex are the new DB Wr animations user driven only or will the AI be able to pull them off too? Also where are you guys at with True-Step? Is the plan to still add it to all 22 players on the field?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #252
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
You really think Clint would let us do PI without getting holding in the game? Come on man.
Thanks for your response, Rex. I was just going off of last year's game and the response Clint gave me when i asked about it last year.

With that said, I am glad to see penalties like Holding and PI in the game now. Now if we could just get out of game formation subs and the ability to assign playbooks to other teams in CFM alot of my major issues will be taken care of.

One last thing, we appreciate that you stop by and post every once in a while and while we know the posters on this site can be demanding, I think you will find that we can assist your team in helping make Madden more of a simulation.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #253
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringbacksimfootball
Yes, that's all true. 100%. But for a football game especially, and I and Clint actually had a short talk on Twitter about this, it's hard for a person with football knowledge at the level a pro player like Clint does to be able to make a programmer who may not have that knowledge understand all of the nuances that a pro player is aware of to be able to play the position properly no matter how it's explained. The split-second decision making that has to be made with a level of knowledge of what to do in that moment is tough to translate from the mind of a pro football player to a programmer who doesn't have that knowledge. And some of it isn't even fundamental, it can be inherent to that player and that player does it a certain way because it somehow works for him.

And believe me, I'm not saying this issue is only with this development because this an issue that has to be dealt with in any development. I get that. But what makes me question what the focus is for this sort of thing with this team is when even basic football fundamentals are glossed over. I remember I was talking to Clint about the glaring issues with QB mechanics and running fundamentals and he just dismissed it as being too minor. That says to me that it may not just be an issue of programming--which we can both agree on--and that it may be an issue of development focus.

Granted, what they focus on internally often has to have differences to what we're focusing on externally, but I just want to see minor quality gaps addressed like QB mechanics or ball carrying fundamentals before they attempt going after the big ones; I want to see that they can get the basic things corrected before I can have faith that they can tackle the bigger issues. And this was my contention back in late 2010 when they started mentioning work on RTP at the office. I asked Ian "Why would you guys even consider that before addressing the core animation issues", and he was like "Man, there is a lot of buzz about real-time physics since Natural Motion made it a thing, so we need to get out in front of it" and then he proceeded to make a series of jokes about Backbreaker, but whatever... I was highly against it because I knew it was essentially throwing something new on top of something flawed, and we see how that turned out, and to make it worse it wasn't cheap and there was a ton of development focus given to it. What could've been accomplished had that focus been on cleaning up and correcting the mountain of animation issues the game has been carrying since Madden 06 (with some of those animations still in the game)? I have to believe it would be in a much better position than it is now.
You and I have had discussions about a lot of this in the past, and to me the conclusion hasn't changed; they develop with a focus on a popular trend in the league or a specific area of the game trending at the moment, and from a business standpoint it's not a bad approach. The problem is, a simulation football game doesn't benefit from a flavor of the month approach because you can't compartmentalize simulation football that way. It's either all or nothing, when it's in-between there will be a ton of things missing or taken lightly, and here we are.

I am deeply interested in the question you posed earlier concerning next generation plans, but that answer isn't coming and I'm sure you're aware of that.

What I'm really puzzled about are the graphics we're being shown. I see no change. Colors and lighting needed a ton of attention and based on what they're showing us, it hasn't received any. Graphics have always been so high on their priority list you'd think that would be the one thing that would've gotten attention if nothing else.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #254
Rookie

It almost at the point where gaming companies..sports in general should either just hold out to release info or do it all at once and show the meat and potato's and not just snippets of new features. When people are starving for new info and the game has all these preorders ready to go is it really that important to not be transparent in your details. Think of how many new casual fans you could get by posting behind the scenes footage of what you're working on and what's being fixed with a little explanation on why things are being done a certain way or what direction you're going.

EA could be a coach in a way. Telling the newcomers what will be accomplished by adding these animations or a.I decisions that they could explain in football layman's terms to help push everyone towards a more Sim direction. Instead of just saying a couple words here and there and a 2 min max clip and let everyone dissect it with no idea how it will turn out. Unless of course the end result won't be too far off from the work in progress vids. You only hide things you aren't happy to show. The best game ever made can't be beat or copied. Nobody is gonna take your ideas and make a better game in less than 4 months. Plus all the features are trademarked right? I mean they all have buzzwords you could trademark. Unless those buzzwords mean absolutely nothing and they don't have to be features you just use them to sell the next iteration because you have nothing else to show...its the digital\social age. Everything is YouTube Facebook twitter etc.
Why not just let the game speak for itself and let the marketing aspect of compartmentalizing football fundamentals die. Forever its been that way. 92 was almost the same as 93. Except the back of the box shows all time great teams and shoestring catches and close line tackles.
And now we have true step and spectacular catch this and fight for fumble and everything that comes in football that I see every Sunday being teaspoon fed to me little by little every year. I just want football. I don't need buzzwords.

If its in the game its should be in the game not added later on. Stop over thinking something so simple. Go back to basics and worry about why all 22 players can't realistically cover ground in the same form or fashion. Untether the ball from the players. Let the computer blow me out using sound fundamentals until I get it right. I remember playing a old genesis football game when I was younger and I couldn't complete a pass. My big brother sat me down and told me that I have to count my steps before I throw and time the receivers routes. When I figured it out it was like a light went off over my head. I learned a football fundamental at a young age and all I was trying to do was play the game like I see on TV. Like people do now. But that changed me. It made me more competitive. To try to emulate what I see on TV instead of just playing a videogame. Try it EA. Everyone who plays wants to learn more. Nobody watches football that have no idea what's going on even in the simplest way. But you could nudge them to understand the game of football more with your power and status in the gaming industry. It can't hurt is all I'm saying

Last edited by wlucky; 05-16-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:03 AM   #255
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Some Madden NFL 16 Features Revealed - Total Control Passing and More

Sounds good. Wish they would have added this in their description
"All new Madden Profile system - Properly save and keep track of all your skill challenge/gauntlet progress along with penalty and auto-subs settings like never before with our all new feature. Much work has been put into this feature so you never have to worry about re-entering any of your customized game settings over and over again or suffer through playing glorified exhibition games followed by long intro videos every time you play
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #256
Rookie

No visible equipment upgrades is disappointing (I.E. LIP GUARD MOUTHPIECES, which was featured in Madden 2001). I am just committed to the fact that CFM will just have minor upgrades, and I'll be bored with the game by October. But I will buy the game because there are no other options, and I am a big Madden fan because of the work they did prior to the PS3 and 360. I just hope they revert back to the days of PS2 and Xbox when vast improvement was expected and delivered year over year. I actually wonder if they care AT ALL what is said on mainstream sports gaming forums like this great site.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »