Home

Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #97
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Arent penalties a part of gameplay? Also, you know you can just turn the penalties off if you want, right?

I'm glad that the majority of players dont take this point of view.
The scary thing is that I'm not sure that they don't. This penalty reworking by the gameplay team is definitely something that was done for us "OS types". Yes, it should be it the game because it's a realistic aspect of football, but I imagine that they would have left it alone forever if the sim community hadn't been so relentless in asking for it.

I still say that they may tune it down before the game goes retail, making us turn it back up with the sliders.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #98
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Wish they gave us a jostle button similar to FIFA so we had some type of control of defensive holding/pass interference calls.
That's a great idea, especially if you player-lock on a DB.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 06-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #99
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I would've liked to see more mention of context. Linemen hold when they're getting beat. DBs interfere when they're getting beat. False starts happen for a number of reasons. They mentioned pressing DBs & goal line. Hopefully there's more to it.

I guess penalty tendencies are related to skill & play style, but this leaves room for a high tendency player to be penalized against lesser opponents for the sake of tendencies & averages.

Good to see penalties finally addressed though.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 0
Glad to see the penalty system getting some love but one concern I have is that while they state they've updated and/or added Defensive Pass Interference there is no mention of Offensive Pass Interference. With the new Air Supremacy and DB interactions the street needs to go both ways, not one way.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #101
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMadatMe
Glad to see the penalty system getting some love but one concern I have is that while they state they've updated and/or added Defensive Pass Interference there is no mention of Offensive Pass Interference. With the new Air Supremacy and DB interactions the street needs to go both ways, not one way.
It was mentioned in a blog yesterday the DPI/OPI are in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #102
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Now iiiiiiii wonder if this will mean the end to running into WRs on routes and not getting flagged. You'd have to tackle them to get a PI.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #103
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Arent penalties a part of gameplay? Also, you know you can just turn the penalties off if you want, right?

I'm glad that the majority of players dont take this point of view.
Penalties are a huge part of the NFL, where actual human brains decide to reach out and grab that Jersey. People get tired and make mistakes. They get beat and decide to just tackle the receiver.

I'm not a fan of penalties in a computer game, where everything is RANDOM. Case in point, the game I just played, I think I counted 5 blocks in the back, but that's part of the programming limitations....it was just the cpu reacting to where the ball went and trying to block effectively as it could. Should that stuff be called? Another example, there was some play action pass (I forget which one exactly) where every time I ran it, the blocking back who I gave the fake to would get called for holding EVERY time. After 5 times, I took it out of my playbook....is that how penalties should work?

I'm fine with the late hits and offside and stuff that is user controlled (running over that receiver trying to make the catch), but randomly inserted penalties are garbage.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #104
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiphos
I'm not a fan of penalties in a computer game, where everything is RANDOM.

but randomly inserted penalties are garbage.
Almost everything in a computer sports game is random. Not just penalties. Should missed blocks be taken out? Incomplete passes? I just don't buy your argument that they are garbage or why they are garbage. Almost everything in a sports video game is a random modifier to ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »