Home

Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

This is a discussion on Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #473
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

Ratings and uniforms are too much for one person...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #474
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElit3
Ratings and uniforms are too much for one person...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would probably say rating the entire NFL is too much for one person.

― Plato
Old 12-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #475
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The only place he needs to sell his talents and abilities is at EA, not in a forum.
That's true, and he can choose to answer if he wishes. I just don't think that it is beyond anyone to ask questions, respectfully, in this forum of the devs. What I don't like is when they are met with disrespect back, as if asking in itself was disrespectful.

Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...updates-5.html
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #476
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
My answer is that "Ratings" function in various roles within the overall scope of the game, beyond just a "player value" system.

What doesn't get discussed when talking about what mechanism/model should be used, is the "functionality" implication of a rating/model change upon years of coding, especially since Madden is not being rebuilt from the ground up. (per say)

3) Animations
- triggering levels
- ability to expand/add hundreds or more upon a "particular" rating, there by, limiting the ability to make an aspect of gameplay more fluid
This is the part that the crowd advocating for an FGB revolution doesn't talk enough about in my opinion.

I'm fine with FGB or any other system that seeks to incorporate more realistic data into the game and that seeks to achieve a greater ratings distribution across the league and across individual rosters.

But, none of that work will mean a thing if the threshold values at which animations trigger are not re-calibrated to fit whatever new scale is implemented.

The reason is that Madden is an animation-based game, not a physics-based game, so fetishizing raw, verifiable, historical physical data and real scouting metrics only have meaning for M17 insofar as they can be tied effectively into the game's existing framework of numerically-triggered animation sequences.

So my big take on this thread is that whoever fills the vacuum left by Donny Moore's absence--and I don't know the guy, so I can't say anything about him one way or the other--must account for the game's current dependence on animations triggered by certain numerical values.

Ideally, Madden would rebuild itself as a physics-based game where these linkages would be easier to achieve, but there's no way that's happening, not as I see it anyway.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #477
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0

Here's the thing, Dan... As someone who is petitioning the EA representatives to implement something you created, there is an inherent conflict of interest wherein it behooves you to undermine this gentleman's work. It's a self-promotional lambasting instead of an objective arena of ideas, or at the very best it has the potential to be so anyway.

I have seen you advocate for your ratings many times as if they are perfect or the best solution. I disagree completely. I think EA had it right when they actually tightened the curve back in the Madden 07 XBOX days. We can respectfully disagree on those fundamental principles and there's nothing wrong with that

I just feel like grandstanding and personal promotion isn't the best way to address EA.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #478
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
This is the part that the crowd advocating for an FGB revolution doesn't talk enough about in my opinion.

I'm fine with FGB or any other system that seeks to incorporate more realistic data into the game and that seeks to achieve a greater ratings distribution across the league and across individual rosters.

But, none of that work will mean a thing if the threshold values at which animations trigger are not re-calibrated to fit whatever new scale is implemented.

The reason is that Madden is an animation-based game, not a physics-based game, so fetishizing raw, verifiable, historical physical data and real scouting metrics only have meaning for M17 insofar as they can be tied effectively into the game's existing framework of numerically-triggered animation sequences.

So my big take on this thread is that whoever fills the vacuum left by Donny Moore's absence--and I don't know the guy, so I can't say anything about him one way or the other--must account for the game's current dependence on animations triggered by certain numerical values.

Ideally, Madden would rebuild itself as a physics-based game where these linkages would be easier to achieve, but there's no way that's happening, not as I see it anyway.
I totally agree, and that is one caveat that I have made very clear with the brass at EA - in order for these things to work correctly, we have to be able to have some say on how they are implemented in the game itself. All of it is moot unless we are used to let the ratings drive the game. It's all just window-dressing until that happens.

In my honest opinion, I think that we may be closer to a day when EA has a real competitor in the NFL video game arena, and I am prepared for that possibility as well. If it were up to me, I would blow the whole thing up, make the game be data driven, and have the animations follow that data. It would require a reboot and real physics, however, which is likely going to be too costly for EA to see as a real option.

You don't have to tell me that simply changing the ratings will fix everything. We already know the limitations of the project, hence why we are always pursuing other vendors. I am considering this effort this year to be the last ditch effort in getting this data into the game. If it doesn't work now, after getting something tangible into the right hands at EA, it won't ever happen. We know this, and are prepared to seek other opportunities outside of the football gaming world; more in-line with our sister site, NFLDraftScout.com.
NFL Scout

Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #479
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
Here's the thing, Dan... As someone who is petitioning the EA representatives to implement something you created, there is an inherent conflict of interest wherein it behooves you to undermine this gentleman's work. It's a self-promotional lambasting instead of an objective arena of ideas, or at the very best it has the potential to be so anyway.

I have seen you advocate for your ratings many times as if they are perfect or the best solution. I disagree completely. I think EA had it right when they actually tightened the curve back in the Madden 07 XBOX days. We can respectfully disagree on those fundamental principles and there's nothing wrong with that

I just feel like grandstanding and personal promotion isn't the best way to address EA.
I didn't undermine anything regarding his work, I just don't agree with his cited methodology of "film study and PFF". What I am doing is asking if he has a trained background in game film analysis. Is that so wrong of me to ask knowing that he doesn't have to, and likely won't, answer? You already know where I stand on PFF and I constantly question their methodology as well (like how it says on their FAQ page that they are not scouts and that they only look at the outcome of the play).

EA already knows my stance and I have already had those conversations with Rex, et al. They assured me that I am in no penalty for continuing to display my opinions on these boards. You can call it grandstanding if you like, but to me I am simply asking questions. I am not attempting to win everyone over here because that will never happen, but what I do want is an open dialogue about alternative methodologies. That requires us to ask questions and be critical. You all know I have had my fair share of that on these boards, but at least I am as transparent as I can legally be.

Now, do I stand by my work? Yes. Do I stand by the methodologies that I employ? Yes. Am I proud of it. Yes. However, if asking questions and entering into a constructive debate (especially whereas my past line of questioning was outright met with disdain, sarcasm, and a bunch of non-answers) makes me a grandstanding, self-promoting, whatever-you-want-to-call-me, then so be it. I can handle that.
NFL Scout

Old 12-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #480
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Is that so wrong of me to ask knowing that he doesn't have to, and likely won't, answer? You already know where I stand on PFF and I constantly question their methodology as well (like how it says on their FAQ page that they are not scouts and that they only look at the outcome of the play).

EA already knows my stance and I have already had those conversations with Rex, et al. They assured me that I am in no penalty for continuing to display my opinions on these boards. You can call it grandstanding if you like, but to me I am simply asking questions. I am not attempting to win everyone over here because that will never happen, but what I do want is an open dialogue about alternative methodologies. That requires us to ask questions and be critical. You all know I have had my fair share of that on these boards, but at least I am as transparent as I can legally be.

Now, do I stand by my work? Yes. Do I stand by the methodologies that I employ? Yes. Am I proud of it. Yes. However, if asking questions and entering into a constructive debate (especially whereas my past line of questioning was outright met with disdain, sarcasm, and a bunch of non-answers) makes me a grandstanding, self-promoting, whatever-you-want-to-call-me, then so be it. I can handle that.
I think you had a leg to stand on until you flat out admit you didn't expect him to answer - which by your own admission is grandstanding, as you did not intend to 'enter into a constructive debate' - your words. You're bypassing the dialog you try and claim to have and instead openly discrediting which is putting it nicely.

Qualifications to do a job are not a dialog on ratings. It goes right up there with all of the 'developers suck'-style premises that go into so many posts and are the least bit constructive because they bypass criticism of the game and instead make it personal.

Last edited by mestevo; 12-26-2015 at 03:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »