Home

Would you want penalties like pass interference for online games in Madden 17?

This is a discussion on Would you want penalties like pass interference for online games in Madden 17? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you want penalties like pass interference in online games in Madden 17?
Yes 83 95.40%
No 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #25
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Would you want penalties like pass interference for online games in Madden 17?

Ok so I was vague but I primarily meant user penalties in all online modes, AI penalties in non competitive scenarios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #26
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Would you want penalties like pass interference for online games in Madden 17?

I don't play The Show but I do play a lot of 2K and there is a ton of complaining about fouls in that game, primarily those that the user has no control over. So, if you're playing online and you shoot a 3, and your big randomly commits an over the back foul that you didn't initiate, that's something that causes a lot of frustration. If you keep the stick neutral and don't push any buttons and your player gets locked into a 2-man foul animation that you didn't initiate, that causes a lot of frustration.

It's completely different in online CFM, but in ranked user play/MUT/Draft Champions, only user-initiated fouls should be on. IIRC there's no challenging of calls in ranked online either, since the refs aren't programmed to call things "incorrectly."
Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Would you want penalties like pass interference for online games in Madden 17?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Ok so I was vague but I primarily meant user penalties in all online modes, AI penalties in non competitive scenarios

User Penalties - yes. AI penalties - No

Coming from someone who plays primarily online head to head. The emotions get too high to have an AI penalty effect an outcome of a play. When you play someone online, the mentality is "I'm smarter than you." Just like chess. Having things happen out of your control is very frustrating. Yes it happens in real life but thats not what I want from an online user vs user experience.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #28
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

@CMHooe, Again I emphasize "expectations" vs wants, there is a big difference in reference to this. No one wants to lose a game due to something out of their direct control and yes some, even those I have encountered actually playing competitively, might want them off in certain arenas but all of them went into every game with the full knowledge and expectation that all available penalties were on.

Directly to the general claim that it didn't matter much before because penalties didn't trigger in online ranked, I disagree. Obvious examples of this are Holding and to a lesser extent roughing the passer, two penalties that would occur frequently online that the User had nothing to do with. Also, considering not only did EA go through the trouble of adding PI penalties but also marketing that as a part of the new WR/DB interactions, having that be on by default online is a reasonable expectation.

Having stated all that, like others have noted, the generalization of the poll question is likely causing a mash up of POVs because penalties on by default in a traditional online ranked match vs a Draft Champions or MUT ranked match have completely different expectations. DC and MUT already aren't realistic by the very premise of the modes so it's reasonable that things like penalties wouldn't necessarily be either.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #29
MVP

Gossennator's Arena

OVR: 15

I would love to see it implemented like FIFA has the push/pull action for users only. You can do it to a point but if you pull on a jersey for too long and they fall, you get a penalty usually. Ratings would also factor into this.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #30
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0

If I'm playing in a competitive environment, I want the outcome decided on who has the superior stick skills and gameplan, not on random penalties that take away huge plays. Online franchise I can live with them, because It's suppose to be a sim experience, but not in ranked. Only penalties ranked should have is grounding, roughing, and PI, in instances where the WR is mugged. That's it.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 0

Definitely. The more the better
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #32
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Without penalties (also fatigue and injury risk), you reduce the game and remove natural balancers to gameplay. Cover 2 man press overuse can be eliminated with turning on defensive holding penalties.

Staying in the pocket too long or excessive rollouts penalized with holding.

Excessive hot routing and preplay adjustment penalized with false starts and offsides.

Leave B. Browner in the game, he prolly will get a penalty. Beast edge rusher prolly can cause a holding call on a poor Tackle.

This allows players to impact the game other than win/loss interaction logic that has to be balanced due to lack of penalties, injury risk, and fatigue to regulate the game. Want to see more punting, add penaltie, injury, fatigue....less success at cheesy play, add penaltie, injuries, fatigue...

As I've said before, u add draft Champs ranked, salary cap ranked...ADD simulation ranked playlists with injuries, penalties, and fatigue represented.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »