Home

Madden 18 Offensive Lineman - Injury Chances

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Offensive Lineman - Injury Chances within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden 18 Offensive Lineman - Injury Chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I'd have to disagree it's never been important to the average gamer, especially offline franchise players. It minimizes the need for backups, alters how you spend your teams salary cap and gives the human players a huge advantage compared to CPU run teams.
It's a gameplay balance issue in franchises with CPU teams and an authenticity issue in franchise in the general case, absolutely. And don't get me wrong, as a hardcore franchise guy it's something I would like to see corrected.

That said, this issue doesn't remotely affect Madden users who favor Ultimate Team or Draft Champions over Franchise. Injuries never occur in MUT or DC by design and that is not going to change. Those two modes comprise a little over half the game's audience, so that's half the consumer base for which implementing off-ball injuries adds literally nothing to their gameplay experience (since off-ball injuries will never occur in MUT or DC).

There are better places that Tiburon can spend their development man-hours improving the on-field experience which benefit all players, not just those who play Franchise.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boling4Humor
What are the chances we will have in-game offensive lineman injuries in Madden 18?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Injuries????

They need to work on actual player differences up front

They removed some ratings this year that worked good in previous Maddens for OL players

They need to add tendencies like for guys who always commit false start penalties for example

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 05-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #19
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I'd have to disagree it's never been important to the average gamer, especially offline franchise players. It minimizes the need for backups, alters how you spend your teams salary cap and gives the human players a huge advantage compared to CPU run teams.

I can understand how it has never been a priority compared to wr/db interaction, zone coverages, high qb accuracies, lack of proper physics, good line play from qbs and punters..along with a myriad of other complaints, but that really speaks more to how many issues and how poor this game has been over the years rather than the idea that having 1/4 of your starting line up being immune to injury not being an issue to madden players.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Yes!! This is exactly the problem.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
I can understand how it has never been a priority compared to wr/db interaction, zone coverages, high qb accuracies, lack of proper physics, good line play from qbs and punters..along with a myriad of other complaints, but that really speaks more to how many issues and how poor this game has been over the years rather than the idea that having 1/4 of your starting line up being immune to injury not being an issue to madden players.
It also wouldn't even need to be a priority if it wasn't taken out of the game to begin with. It'd be one thing if it was taken out but there was something close to respectable line play, I'd be more than okay with that trade off but 17 had some of the worst line play I've ever seen. Bottom line though is injuries aren't "fun" and if it can't be spun as fun, it's going to fight an Everest-like uphill battle to see it implemented. It sucks but it is what it is.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
It cant't be hard to have a random injury generator that injures a OL once he hits the ground based on his INJ/TGH ratings.

Lol. I'm a Java developer, and one night after reading some threads about linemen injuries, I decided to create one. I'm not saying it would've been perfect, and I'm sure the madden devs could easily do the same as I did, but seriously, I created it in one night. It was actually a whole team random injury generator. I took in the inj rating as really the only item to tweak the computation made. But, basically, I did minor research in the % of injuries in the NFL. I further categorized them as small, med, and large to gain some dynamic ability. Then, basically, every play, I take in the 22 players on the field, throw them in the algorithm with a random number generator. I was originally off on some statistics (I'm not the greatest with statistics, in general, lol), but I simply tweaked the results till I got the %'s expected. And, there it was, in essence, a program that runs in the background for every play of the game. And, I was seeing sprains, broken bones, and every once in awhile, a nice torn MCL. LOL. Not that it's nice, but again, I was getting the %'s correct so that it don't happen very often, but it was there. I get the impression madden doesn't want to go this route. They want the graphics to determine the injury, maybe. And, that's noble, I suppose. But, the fact that I created something in one night (I'm not bragging, I think it shows that it's simple enough) that could easily add some extra bit of sim, it's a shame they haven't added something like this, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
It cant't be hard to have a random injury generator that injures a OL once he hits the ground based on his INJ/TGH ratings.
Comments like this are pretty useless / unmerited if they don't come supported by programming / game design expertise. Even the simplest mechanic can have profound implications. (See how WR v. DB assignments affects the defensive alignment algorithm). If it was easy, I think it'd be done by now. It's a matter of balancing the programming difficulty with the upside of the implementation / demand.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #23
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Lol. I'm a Java developer, and one night after reading some threads about linemen injuries, I decided to create one. I'm not saying it would've been perfect, and I'm sure the madden devs could easily do the same as I did, but seriously, I created it in one night. It was actually a whole team random injury generator. I took in the inj rating as really the only item to tweak the computation made. But, basically, I did minor research in the % of injuries in the NFL. I further categorized them as small, med, and large to gain some dynamic ability. Then, basically, every play, I take in the 22 players on the field, throw them in the algorithm with a random number generator. I was originally off on some statistics (I'm not the greatest with statistics, in general, lol), but I simply tweaked the results till I got the %'s expected. And, there it was, in essence, a program that runs in the background for every play of the game. And, I was seeing sprains, broken bones, and every once in awhile, a nice torn MCL. LOL. Not that it's nice, but again, I was getting the %'s correct so that it don't happen very often, but it was there. I get the impression madden doesn't want to go this route. They want the graphics to determine the injury, maybe. And, that's noble, I suppose. But, the fact that I created something in one night (I'm not bragging, I think it shows that it's simple enough) that could easily add some extra bit of sim, it's a shame they haven't added something like this, yet.

People would throw a fit if a guy ran 80 yards down the field in pursuit and without contact and randomly broke his leg. Injuries have to be tied with physics and animation.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #24
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
People would throw a fit if a guy ran 80 yards down the field in pursuit and without contact and randomly broke his leg. Injuries have to be tied with physics and animation.

I agree. However, the algorithm would run extremely quickly, I'm guessing, less than 1 sec. so, when it finishes, and picks a player for random injury, u then trigger the graphics on it. Oftentimes, this is what is done in computer games, in general. Let's say it was an ACL sprain on the WR. When the calculation finishes, picks the player, then BAM, graphically, have him crumble to the ground. To be honest, since the game is always going to have issues graphically with hands going through arms, it already makes it difficult to do a 'player A jumped, player B hit him in the back, give him a back injury'. I'll be honest, I haven't looked at a lot of injuries when they take place in madden now, but I'm guessing that often u simply have a 'Big Hit', and a random injury is chosen (broken back, broken clavicle, bruised ribs, etc) instead of being truly physics driven, or graphically seeing a helmet crush a clavicle or something. When u look at the replay, u may say, 'oh, cmon!!! He didn't even hit his shoulder'. So, for me, for a random injury, u calculate the injury happening, then u trigger the animation. The case of broken bones might be the most difficult. Although, u can motion capture 2 linemen with one falling on the other awkwardly, lol. But, in terms of turf toe, ankle sprains, sprains in general, ACL tears, etc, these can occur without contact. So, again, calculate, trigger the injury immediately. If the WR is running route, he stops and pulls up lame. If he caught the ball and is running, again, have him slow down and pull up lame. Hell, have the CPU force him out of bounds for u because of the injury. And, for the specific example u gave, a broken leg prob wouldn't happen, so u add the code (if broken leg and if no contact, don't break leg else if tackle made, break leg). Here again, if no one touches him, the CPU doesn't let it happen. However, and more interesting, again, if he gets tackled, trigger a broken leg animation. Lol. I mean, these things are totally doable in programming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »