Home

Madden NFL 18 Features New Target Passing, Coverage Assignments & More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Features New Target Passing, Coverage Assignments & More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #137
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden NFL 18 Features New Target Passing, Coverage Assignments & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yup. I'm a big crowd and field sound effects guy. I crank up the crowd and field noise, and turn other sounds down or off. But, even with crowd noise cranked, it still just doesn't quite do it for me. I thought they said they were working on more gameplay specific crowd noises for this game, so I'm hopeful. Maybe, frostbite helps with that. Like, more noise for a TD, INT, or sack. That, alone, for me, would be a big step towards immersion. Let me hear the crowd get LOUDER when I make a big play. This just still isn't there, yet. From the description, sounds like 18 might deliver on this.
I want this too. Playing with a good headset helps but it seems like the crowd just isn't aware most of the situation most of the time and is easy to just completely tune out. I'd love to see the old NCAA Home Field advantage with the controller rumble and screen shake. Living Worlds really failed to deliver and they went a little overboard with some of the intricate sounds last year but they were still well done and it'd be nice to see them go all out on stadium sounds and crowd noise.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #138
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

If Coverage Assignments ends up working in concert with "Best on Best" then people will love it, or at worse be indifferent to it. If Best on Best is not in the game, then people are more likely to rip the feature apart, not because it's bad per se, but for a having a name that "tricked" them into thinking it was something else.

Also, Target Passing makes a lot of sense to me this year, because while playing M17, I was thinking, that if they fix the deep zones for M18,(they just couldn't finish them in time for M17) then passing will be much, much more difficult, especially for players that aren't exploit hunters.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

Last edited by jfsolo; 05-13-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #139
Rookie

OVR: 0

Well when it comes to sports games I only ever play career mode/francise mode, the co-op thing isnt really appealing to me. So unless there is a major update to CFM I'm holding off on this. The little info we've seen so far has been the most generic description of franchise it could very well have been copied and pasted directly from Madden 15/16.

Guess I will wait for the EA play update or reviews....I don't need Madden to look better, it already looks good. Also don't need faster ways of simming through my CFM games or even more of this "play the moment" rubbish - That's the opposite of Simulation and immersion. Just have to wait and see I guess.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #140
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Sound opinion, but this is filed under needs more information for me.

That could very well be back of the box chatter and later on in blogs we find out it's a bit deeper for SIM mode.

Also, I recall Clint wanting last year at EA Play to try to get coverage assignments in a title update for 17, but obviously, that didn't make the cut.

Also, there is this tweet exchange with Rex:

https://twitter.com/simmaddenleague/...57023350030341
I'll be livid if this doesn't "make the cut" again.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #141
Rookie

Heard that specific chin strap is only exclusive to Tom Brady which kinda sucks because many players wear that same chin strap like P. Rivers, J. Winston, T.Siemien and many more. But it was so needed on Brady that Im not complaining
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2017, 01:22 AM   #142
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Does anyone remember that old football game where you could aim your passes? Like with a cursor?
Old 05-14-2017, 01:26 AM   #143
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Does anyone remember that old football game where you could aim your passes? Like with a cursor?
NFL Fever's "Read n Lead". Does anyone think Madden's target passing will resemble that? Check it out in YouTube for old gameplay.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #144

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Here's the back of box description of coverage assignments.

"Coverage Assignment: Know your job in pass coverage with an on-screen, real-time UI system informing you of your coverage assignment in pass defense."

I think this pretty much sounds like 'Tackle cone' to me, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully that's not all it is, that sounds a lot like NBA 2k where it shows you who you're supposed to guard. It'd be extremely disappointing if they make that a back of the box selling point and it ended up being something so insignificant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Sound opinion, but this is filed under needs more information for me.

That could very well be back of the box chatter and later on in blogs we find out it's a bit deeper for SIM mode.

Also, I recall Clint wanting last year at EA Play to try to get coverage assignments in a title update for 17, but obviously, that didn't make the cut.

Also, there is this tweet exchange with Rex:

https://twitter.com/simmaddenleague/...57023350030341
I gotta assume if they're going to label it "coverage assignments" that we will be able to assign DB's to match up with specific receivers. My only worry, and maybe it's the internal pessimist coming out from years of Madden letting me down, but they tried this years ago with defensive assignments and it lasted one year or maybe two. If I recall correctly they had serious issues with it, if a receiver left the field due to fatigue it threw the assignments all off and suddenly you had multiple corners not assigned to cover anyone so you either watched as guys ran wide open and your corners stood around and did nothing or you had to quickly audible to zone.

I'd love it if the game finally allowed us to do something like bracket receivers in double coverage. When I play Atlanta for instance I want to bracket Julio Jones every play with a safety, create actual over/under coverage and try and make someone else beat me. What I get now when I double with a safety is the safety running to the receiver to double him like its a basketball game so if the receiver runs a go route and neither the safety nor the corner have the speed to stay with him he ends up burning both of them deep or hell a post route, basically the safety doesn't play intelligently at all when asked to double someone.

Furthermore, hopefully it's intelligent defensive assignments and the CPU will utilize it accordingly as well. When I play Seattle I want to see them put Chancellor on my TE when in man and actually see him play physical making it difficult to utilize the TE. I hope team identities and individual players play to their skill sets and make playing each team feel different.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »