Home

37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

This is a discussion on 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #153
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Regression NEEDS to be fixed. It is just cut and dry. every signle player once they reach 28/29 just lose 2 in their main categories every season. This makes it impossible to have a QB play in to his mid 30s. late 30s are out fo the question. WRs that werent super fast to begin with are absolutely useless by 30 with 84 or lower speed.
the sad thing is they have "tuned" regression now for what 2-3 years in a row... and its still not good....

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #154
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
the sad thing is they have "tuned" regression now for what 2-3 years in a row... and its still not good....

I think 1 suggestion I'd have, at the very least, modify regression for superstar trait athletes. That would allow for only the true studs to maintain their speed and important traits at higher ages. Because, I'm guessing they would claim, 'data shows regression starts at 29-30 for most NFL athletes.' It all can depend on exactly how u look at it. Sure, the avg NFL lifespan is like, 3-5 years, lol, when u factor everything in. But, I think, definitely, it would be a good deal for superstars, specifically, to not regress speed and important traits until 34-35 or something. And, if they want to scale some, they could start to regress quick at 32-33. That would give some flex room for things and for studs to play into their 30s better. I had to get rid of poor Julio at 30, I think. His speed dropped to like 88, I think, and of course, he wanted a fortune. The last year on my team, he just wasn't the same without the speed. He just wasn't open enough for the deep shots. I'd like to keep him until about 35. I mean, for real, that dude is an absolute stud. I don't think he's going to be broken down at 30-31, u know? Lol. And, even a guy like Megatron, I mean, he retired early. U can't say, 'Calvin lost a step.' He was still killing fools on the field. So, yeah, I'd like to see regression tweaked a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by OhMrHanky; 06-05-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #155
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
This year is actually the first year I've at least felt like regression is in a baseline "okay" state. It is a predictable downward pressure placed upon the league's older players, which reinforces the importance of drafting well as a long-term team-building tool.

Granted, regression is now incredibly predictable and in some cases it feels off. As noted earlier, superstar quarterbacks fall off too early, and they should be able to hang around longer. The SPD / ACC rating regression is also very harsh, especially for superstar players.

To make regression more dynamic, I think there should be some ability to mitigate regression based on player performance. If a player wins a major end-of-season award (MVP, OPOY, Best QB / RB / WR / etc.), maybe he should be able to halve his regression or even cancel out his regression altogether (up until he gets to an unreasonable age, at least; we probably don't want OVR 95 players who are age 45 in the league).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #156
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

I think a dynamic regression system could work pretty good but then we fall into the whole xp/rpg element that they chose to have in the game. So I wonder if they tried to include dynamic regression if it would be more along the lines of giving players more xp when they win an award or lowering the cost of raising them up just to keep them even with where they were? Where regression is at right now, you'll never have a Brady, Manning or Brees type player making it as an all pro mvp caliber player. They'll be a 70 overall by age 35.

We can only hope for improvements upon what's already there. I highly doubt there will be any revamping of features in cfm. It reminds me of what my company does when we don't want to add improvements on our software, we just maintain it. We fix little things and call them improvements when in reality they are nothing more than fixes to bugs we knew about years ago. I feel like it's a fairly common practice with software companies. I do however think that the current development team really cares about the madden community and wants to have a good product but I also feel like their hands are tied when it comes to the improvements some of us really want in there.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #157
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't know what to expect from Franchise, but I'd caution guys against getting their hopes up due to the "2 top community requests" line. They can take the top 15 requests and add in #11 and #7 and say they added two of the top requests. It could be off ball injuries and select the weather. Two good additions, but guys saying "oh we could get a full coaching staff and carousel" will probably be disappointed.

On the issue of competitive gamestyle and Rex, Rex strikes me as a guy who wants authentic football where the user is in control. I've got no problem with competitive gamestyle as long as simulation style doesn't get relegated into the corner and neglected in future years. I think many people are overestimating how different the modes will be from another. In sim style I would expect to see QBs miss their target even when the user does everything right. On competitive missed throws will be due more to things like not having feet set, pressure, etc. So even competitive gamestyle will be rooted in realistic and authentic football.

As of now my expectation for Madden is that it will continue its upward trend, but, particularly in franchise, there will not be anything revolutionary that makes this something like a landmark Madden (maybe presentation though). I think most of use will still be in the franchise is fun in the short term but doesn't have the staying power camp.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #158
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

It's actually quite simple...

Reduce all physical attributes by randomly 0 or one every year from 26-30, increase by 1, then 1 again at 35. It's scientifically accurate as far as bone and muscle loss, and balences out nicely. Players who are nothing but physical freaks fizzle out in their early 30s, while students of the game are viable into their late 30s, and there's just enough randomness for the occassional exception to both.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #159
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Since Rex said in a Tweet a few hours ago that they have fixed Tom Brady retiring after the first year in CFM, I would expect that their has been some other regression tuning done for 18.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #160
Rookie

I gotta say I'm glad he at least gave some substantial response to Madden on PC. However, I find it odd that Frostbite, an engine created by DICE specifically for cross-platform titles and optimized for PC doesn't have some sort of integrated feature set for making PC ports as easy as possible.

Personally it's absolutely absurd that Origin, a client created by EA for distributing EA games, is missing half of EA's game library. Where is NHL, Skate, Madden, UFC, Rory McIlroy? Origin should be THE place to access ALL EA games and it should be marketed as such. Doesn't that make sense? It's EA's games platform!

So IF it is a money issue or a staffing issue, then I guess the bigger question is. What the heck is upper management in EA thinking? Are EA's shareholders that ignorant to this entire gaming market? I guess it shouldn't be surprising is EA still rolls out these sports games the same way they did 20 years ago.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »