Home

Madden NFL 22 Last Gen impressions thread

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 22 Last Gen impressions thread within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #25
Rookie

TexSkins's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 22 Last Gen impressions thread

Skipped 21 and lost interest with 20 pretty quickly. IF I buy this, I’m going to tell myself my money is going to Deuce Douglas. I played a quarter of one game and walked away.

The game is definitely lacking all around. At least on this generation. Hearing next gen isn’t there yet is rough to hear.

Might have to wait until 23 on PS5

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #26
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

This is disappointing on PC. During a game it feels and looks exactly like Madden 21.
I thought we would at least get the Next Gen additions that were added last year, but nope. None.

While in Franchise mode, it actually looks and feels like a new game. There is alot more depth, involvement, and team management involved this year. It will be a great year for those that focus on Simming more.

Face of the franchise has been an improvement so far. Cutscenes aren't as cheesy, more customization, however a short time will tell how diverse it really is.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #27
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Default allpro/all madden

the game has its new elements but still suffers where it counts for me: AI

RBs still not aggressive enough, still unaware of the inches they need to get a 1st down

QBs still drop back and take sacks: the pocket passers drop back, the balanced roll out and take the sack.

The AI has no general awareness of anything and that makes the game unplayable if you are a competitive person who wants an organic challenge. Imagine playing a chess game where you know the AI will give up its queen every time with no exchange.

I'm shocked EA couldn't fix this QB issue, its been here since madden 15.
2 great smart QBs on the cover and that position isn't captured right. Amazing.

if you can find someone to play H2H without cheese there is some fun to be had.

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 08-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Are save files compatible between current and next gen? I don’t have much interest in the current gen game but I’d use the trial to start putting together a playbook if it can be used on a next gen console if by chance I get my hands on one
Old 08-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #29
Rookie

megacity1's Arena

This game has a "more of the same" feel to it. I stayed with Madden 20 instead of forging forward with 21 last year, but I guess it's time to keep it moving. It's unfortunate a lot of the creators jumped to PS5 and thus gotta hope to find a saint that's creating draft classes for the 4 this year.

Out of all things, I haven't jumped into Franchise just yet as that's primarily the mode I use. If any of the reviews/comments are helpful, it's going to be cool to have some of those new (old) features like staff management (back, but I digress) to add another layer into Franchise.

I really wish they would open up the editor to coaches, and now staff, so we can customize them too. How is it I can create Willie Beamon but not Tony D'Amato when I relocate a team to one of the same handful of cities from previous years.

Don't mean to be passive aggressive, but, it is Madden lol Onward to 22!
Old 08-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #30
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

Enjoying 22 PS4 so far by large margin in comparison to 21. I had been playing 20 mostly. Faster better movement and passing is way better. More open field action. Feels like 17 in a lot of ways with the modern polish and animations. New Cowboys retro unis among others. Go Kane! Limited play so far, carefully labbing and conserving my 10 hours. Not easy!
Old 08-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #31
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

More thoughts after playing a bit of franchise...

There is the bug where scores and stats are not saving. My first game showed a 0-0 tie.

Jared Goff played awful. Definitely a drop off from playing vs Mahomes/Brady.

There were no halftime adjustments. I thought this was a last gen feature as well. Maybe there's a coaching talent for it?

CPU runners are awful. So indecisive.

User running feels real good out of the gate. Seems pretty fair and balanced on all pro.

CPU defenders seem to have an issue where it doesn't really go for swats and often doesn't contest passes at all.

Defenders are still late to react to a rushing QB.

CPU qbs are pretty indecisive when scrambling. They will look to scramble and have a clear lane to easy yards but them will opt to pass it into coverage.

Saw a really bad challenge. Had a play where the runner clearly fumbled but it was reversed.

There's some decent new generic faces but they aren't assigned to incoming rookies in draft classes. There are some really old looking faces and I guess you don't want to see your grandpa in the draft class.

You've got a lot more faces to choose from when creating a head coach.

The face scans are clearly lacking on last gen. Looking at Lawrence on ps4 and ps5 it's no contest that it's miles better on next gen.

A small thing i noticed is that practice mode keeps track of QB pass yards, completion% and TDs.

It feels like I'm seeing a lot more clipping this year. Hopefully it gets cleaned up with the release day patch of there is one.

Running feels so much better. The animations blend together when doing moves and you see a lot more variety in broken tackles.

If you try to juke with a lineman they move in slow motion. It looks ridiculous but you're not really trying to fake out defenders with them very often.

Passes seem to come out quicker and have more zip on the ball.

The defense will often have several players doing the exact same presnap animation. Looks really dumb and probably just a bug.

Autosubs seem like they might have some issues. Players were not coming out of the game no matter how fatigued they were.

I'm not really gonna go into detail on franchise stuff since its mostly the same across both gens. I may sim a season and see if last gen sim stats were updated on last gen.

If you're expecting big changes to gameplay you should know that it's a slight upgrade but if you're like me and want a new franchise experience it's worth a buy (maybe after the scouting update drops) but if you're not interested in franchise stick with Madden 20 or 21. Or wait for a major price drop.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2021, 10:50 PM   #32
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
Are save files compatible between current and next gen? I don’t have much interest in the current gen game but I’d use the trial to start putting together a playbook if it can be used on a next gen console if by chance I get my hands on one
Last year I know that franchise could be transferred to next gen as long as it was an online franchise. I don't think rosters, playbooks, draft classes or sliders transferred.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »