Home

Escape artist ruined the gameplay of MUT

This is a discussion on Escape artist ruined the gameplay of MUT within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #1
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0

Period. Instead of making it cost 16 AP EA just needs to take it out of Madden 23. What it’s attempting to simulate is QBs getting out the pocket but it’s application in game is just silly. Guys snapping and sprinting to the sideline just isn’t realistic. That motion shouldn’t be allowed, or at least make it so the QB can’t throw. It’s too hard guarding the scramble and the pass. Good players will NEVER throw a pick and it’s 7 yards every time unless you get lucky and guess the direction he’s running correctly.

Also i don’t want any “tips” from guys saying this is how you stop it. I’m a very good player there’s no way to stop it consistently. If you think there is, instead of posting your stupid “tips” just invite me to a game and I’ll do it to you all game and SHOW ME how to stop it

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Escape artist ruined the gameplay of MUT

Escape Artist, and quarterback mobility from the pocket in general, is one of the things I have had a specific and keen eye on while playing the Madden 23 beta. Tiburon has made several changes to discourage immediate QB sprint-outs:

1 - Escape Artist is promoted to a Zone ability. You no longer get it for free when you equip it, since it now has activation requirements.

2 - Offensive tackles set much deeper landmarks in their pass drops, which naturally blocks the path of the QB sprint out.

3 - Tiburon has added new QB “run out of the pocket” animations which don’t allow the QB to reach top speed immediately. These actually help out semi-mobile scramble-to-throw passers leave the pocket in a pinch, but they simultaneously slow down more gifted running quarterbacks from going from 0-100 immediately. Honestly, the act of trying to leave the pocket now feels specifically like an older NFL 2K game.

4 - Defensive linemen are much more aware of a scrambling quarterback and have significantly increased ability to disengage from an interaction with a pass blocker to chase down a scrambling quarterback. They also have branching points in their pass rush animations which allows them more opportunities to get off a block faster. Any defensive lineman playing a wider technique than a 4-technique (heads up on the offensive tackle) has greatly increased ability to chase down a quarterback moving laterally from the pocket. Even interior defensive linemen have a better ability to get off blocks if the QB tries to squeeze between the tackle and guard.

5 - QB Contain rush is actually effective at sewing quarterbacks in the pocket. In my experience so far, it is basically impossible to leave the pocket laterally when the defense is playing contain, even if you have an Escape Artist quarterback.

You can still scramble with quarterbacks, but it generally is going to require climbing the pocket vertically first, which makes the running QB far more vulnerable to a Spy Crash player. It is my experience that passers no longer have the ability to take the edge of the defense for free.

This is honestly one of the areas of the Madden 23 beta I am happiest with so far.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
Rookie

It shouldn't even be a special ability in the first place. Let the ratings determine the player movement regardless of where they are on the field.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #4
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Escape Artist, and quarterback mobility from the pocket in general, is one of the things I have had a specific and keen eye on while playing the Madden 23 beta. Tiburon has made several changes to discourage immediate QB sprint-outs:

1 - Escape Artist is promoted to a Zone ability. You no longer get it for free when you equip it, since it now has activation requirements.

2 - Offensive tackles set much deeper landmarks in their pass drops, which naturally blocks the path of the QB sprint out.

3 - Tiburon has added new QB “run out of the pocket” animations which don’t allow the QB to reach top speed immediately. These actually help out semi-mobile scramble-to-throw passers leave the pocket in a pinch, but they simultaneously slow down more gifted running quarterbacks from going from 0-100 immediately. Honestly, the act of trying to leave the pocket now feels specifically like an older NFL 2K game.

4 - Defensive linemen are much more aware of a scrambling quarterback and have significantly increased ability to disengage from an interaction with a pass blocker to chase down a scrambling quarterback. They also have branching points in their pass rush animations which allows them more opportunities to get off a block faster. Any defensive lineman playing a wider technique than a 4-technique (heads up on the offensive tackle) has greatly increased ability to chase down a quarterback moving laterally from the pocket. Even interior defensive linemen have a better ability to get off blocks if the QB tries to squeeze between the tackle and guard.

5 - QB Contain rush is actually effective at sewing quarterbacks in the pocket. In my experience so far, it is basically impossible to leave the pocket laterally when the defense is playing contain, even if you have an Escape Artist quarterback.

You can still scramble with quarterbacks, but it generally is going to require climbing the pocket vertically first, which makes the running QB far more vulnerable to a Spy Crash player. It is my experience that passers no longer have the ability to take the edge of the defense for free.

This is honestly one of the areas of the Madden 23 beta I am happiest with so far.

Is there a con to using contains in M23?

I could see that being overpowered if there’s no risk reward for calling contains every play
This post was very helpful btw

Last edited by Housh123; 06-19-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
Is there a con to using contains in M23?

I could see that being overpowered if there’s no risk reward for calling contains every play

Your rush doesn’t get upfield nearly as much compared to not using contain, and your rushers aren’t as aggressively trying to beat their man to get to the quarterback.

The pass rush will still get there eventually, but generally the trade off is that you are allowing the QB to beat you from the pocket, assuming he is able.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Your rush doesn’t get upfield nearly as much compared to not using contain, and your rushers aren’t as aggressively trying to beat their man to get to the quarterback.

The pass rush will still get there eventually, but generally the trade off is that you are allowing the QB to beat you from the pocket, assuming he is able.

This is amazing

Old 06-19-2022, 07:19 PM   #7
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Does the Spy Crash button (R3) still send two guys? I recall it being an issue that it would also send whomever was in zone to that side, leaving a wideout open.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:47 PM   #8
Rookie

John_2400's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Does the Spy Crash button (R3) still send two guys? I recall it being an issue that it would also send whomever was in zone to that side, leaving a wideout open.
Spies and pursuit angles still broken.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »