Home

Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video

This is a discussion on Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #81
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
No argument here ... my point is I don't see that significant improvemt in player interaction in this video. I really don't see an obvious difference between this video and what I have seen playing 08' as far as player interaction.
Just curious...how is no suction tackling, faster and more varied animation collisions and the ability to have multiple ways of breaking tackles no difference?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #82
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Really? So no gameplay improvements needed as long as they have In-game saves and accelerated clock? IMO the new tackling animations are a big difference.
Yeah, I didn't get that statement at all. I agree 100% here.

At the same time BrianKingsfan and Finn made some great points. WAAAAAY too much 1 on 1 interaction. Defenders just stopping when the ball carrier is right in front of them. I want to see at least two of them get in on the play (ala APF)
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #83
Pro

OVR: 9

After watching this video their is nothing in it other than a few new tackling animations. Let's be honest here...after you watched the video three or four times the novelty of seeing new footage wore off and you realized that all in all the tackling engine received a minor touch up from 08. Simply put this game needs a NEW engine altogether!! I don't understand why we are so quick to applaud the half hearted attempts EA throws our way. How many times are we going to let them question our intelligence? Until we see 3-4 man gangtackling, running backs pushing piles forward or being pushed back, no suction blocking, and 11 men swarming to the football with accurate pursuit angles who can all engage the ballcarrier we are still light years away from a true next generation football game.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #84
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Just curious...how is no suction tackling, faster and more varied animation collisions and the ability to have multiple ways of breaking tackles no difference?
Maybe you've seen another video that I haven't, but based on the above mentioned video alone, I don't see enough to tell me "suction blocking", "collisions", or "breaking tackles" have changed significantly. It was essentially a video of a bunch of one-on-one tackle simulations?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Like one of the other posters mentioned, these brief videos really don't do much to show what actual gameplay will look or feel like?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #85
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Better, but still lacking. The graphics are amazing though and it seems that Madden is trying to get some little things into the game moreso than NCAA. Need to see more than an EA marketing video though before I say more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #86

OVR: 34

He makes this comment...

"This means that we can procedurally manipulate the animation based on physics without losing the personality and life of the characters the way ragdoll does, and without losing the creativity the animators can put into the motion."

I believe that's a response to what Natural Motion is doing. Right now the love is flowing for Natural Motion and Euphoria, but in reality, their physics engine is far too ragdoll looking.

There's still sliding in this video. When a second or third defender is around a tackle, he'll sometimes slide around on his feet. That's what's I think has always made Madden look so twitchy. I do agree though with his overall premise that things are reacting faster. That's the difference this year. It's not the new animations, it's the responsiveness of them and how they are happening quicker than in years past.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #87
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I will give props to the animations, they are much better and do have that NFL-level sense of violence to them. But I'd trade 90% of them for good fundimental form tackles in the flow of a realistic defensive scheme. But I'll try to make some peace. We really haven't seen much in the way of gameplay to give context to all of this. Just a couple of vids off of at best BETA builds. There is a lot of good. Maybe they'll have everything flow faster and more naturally. Offense and Defense. Maybe they got good feedback on tuning that made them decide to keep tweaking. Hoping.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #88
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Clearly every one of us on this forum have stated time and time again that the gameplay glitches should be the #1 priority to be fixed. If they have in fact eliminated the vast array of glitches that made 08' the horrible game it is, then yes, I would say in-game saves and accelerated clock would be more important to me than anything I see in that video.

As I stated in my above post I do not see any dramatic difference between that video and a video of 08, which is why I made my statement. If the video had shown dramatic improvements such as accurate gang-tackling, etc, then my opinion might differ.

As many of the adult gamers have stated previously, IN-GAME SAVES is a significant option that makes the game much more playable because most of us don't have the time available to play complete one hour games at one setting (time required for accurately game) . The ability to play one quarter or one half at a time, or just being able to stop when an issue arises is a huge option for me and would definitely make for a much greater improvement than anything I see in that video!
I agree with in-game saves and accelerated clock, and more so, accelerated clock.

However, since EA has been putting on the marketing blitz for this years version, people from here want better OL/DL interaction, better pocket formation, etc........

By the time EA is putting on the marketing blitz, it's probably too late to incorporate those suggestions. The game is probably at 80% build or higher at that point.

Last year at OS, at EA marketing blitz time, people around here were suggesting better presentation and get rid of radio guy. This was more important to the users last year. They upped the ante in presentation this year and brought back the announcer booth.

My point is, this might be too little too late regarding OL/DL interaction and QB pocket for this upcoming title, but now is the time to let EA know about this for next year.

I think EA invites some reps from internet sites prior to the release of the game and looks for suggestions for next season's game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »