Home

Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (Destructoid)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (Destructoid) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (Destructoid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I seem to remember reading somewhere that sprint isn't being removed, but rather there will be an "auto-sprint" option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Then as soon as you push the left analog stick all the way up he should accelerate into the "turbo" speed. Based on his ratings of acceleration and speed he should be able to quickly hit top speed and get in and out of cuts just like he does if you had the turbo button.
Thanks for clearing that up, what you described sounds like a good idea.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

there is alot of good points in that article but to me the biggest is the fact that each team has its own personality that means no more blah play when you play teams you will actually feel differences when you play other teams
before it was like ok all teams play the same way now they will all have there own unique plays. that is great for replay value it takes the madden logic out of it and leaves it to the actual teams.

so if the redskins fire shannahan the new coaching staff or cordinator will have a different play book.

nice touch ea sports
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 30
"Madden 11 also looked better than its predecessor, and art director Mike Young explained that the team hadn’t even put in its improved lighting model yet"

- So will this game look as great as NCAA 11, now??? I was concerned about the fact that they haven't been showing this game with the new lighting like NCAA 11, making me wonder if they were going to use it, at all. IF Madden 11 is to look as gorgeous as NCAA 11 does, I think it was a bad idea that they didn't have this implemented even though I know the Madden teams priorities may be different based on how they are developing their individual games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
"Sprint" button has finally been removed!!! Thank you Ian and the rest of the Madden team!! I have already posted a comment about this on another review and since it is in this review as well it must be true. I would bet anyone familiar with the NHL series is thrilled with this news.(I think it is in FIFA as well but I am not sure) Now all players speed will be dictated by "ratings" and not just have all the ratings fly out the window because you jam "sprint" down the second you get the ball.

This is absolutely HUGE news IMO!!!

EDIT: Now I just want to hear about a new kicking mechanic. Please bring back the old PS2 style kicking meter or anything better then we have now...
Yep, there is a new kicking meter -- I just elected to leave it out, since my preview was already getting long and it seemed like a minute detail. The meter is like the pitching in MLB The Show or the "easy" hitting in Tiger Woods PGA Tour: it's a horizontal meter across the bottom of the screen where you hit A (X on PS3) to start, hit it again at the far right side for max power, and then hit it again when it's moving left for accuracy.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 4
You have to strike a good balance between realism and fun. Games that are too real are not fun.

Taking out the sprint button is just one less control feature that we once had.

Just b/c a game is going to reflect a player's rating doesn't mean the sprint button couldn't also.

Older games, one in particular, used to have a sprint mechanic that was pretty much perfect. Tap repeatedly for speed or hold down for a super boost. It created a dynamic experience that was both simple and complex enough to never get old. Every run felt like a challenge and yet you felt like you had the tools to overcome them if you used them correctly. A great balance of difficulty vs. fun.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodriggo
You have to strike a good balance between realism and fun. Games that are too real are not fun.

Just b/c a game is going to reflect a player's rating doesn't mean the sprint button couldn't also.

Older games, one in particular, used to have a sprint mechanic that was pretty much perfect. Tap repeatedly for speed or hold down for a super boost. It created a dynamic experience that was both simple and complex enough to never get old. Every run felt like a challenge and yet you felt like you had the tools to overcome them if you used them correctly. A great balance of difficulty vs. fun.
The sprint button is still there, it's an option. The default is no sprint button and left stick up.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodriggo

I understand your concern, NHL 08 was the first game to do this and I was expecting a MAJOR back lash. I was upset that the NHL series took out the sprint button myself, after having it in every other sports game to date.

However, the response to the new controls without the sprint button were incredibly positive. It only took me 4-5 games to completely fall in love with the new controls and getting rid of the "turbo" button. Since then I have really wanted all the sports games to go to analog sensitive running with RATINGS dictating speed and acceleration/de-celeration.

All I am saying is give it a chance. After a couple games you may be left wondering why sports games were even given a "turbo" button to begin with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
i dont think you can compare the way sprinting happens in hockey with football. Hockey they have the advantage of a sliding and gliding on ice with football you dont. I know the option is in there to turn it on but i dont get why people are getting so excited about turbo being turned off by default and a new kicking meter that will prob have hardly any impact on people's kicking accuracy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »