Home

If EA did NOTHING but add a real physics engine...

This is a discussion on If EA did NOTHING but add a real physics engine... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
If EA did NOTHING but add a real physics engine...

I would be happy.

If they did absolutely NOTHING for the next Madden game except add a brand new physics engine and update the rosters, I would be ecstatic.

Seriously. They could leave every other aspect of the game unchanged for all I care. In fact, they could delete Superstar mode completely to save space on the DVD-ROM.

They could delete the sidelines too, since all the people on the sidelines look like stand-in props and movie-extras.

All I want for EA to do with Madden at this point is to get rid of the canned animation system and implement a 100% physics-based engine, allong the same lines as Backbreaker.

They could do some motion-capturing for the purpose of setting physics limitations/instrucitons, but no more Pro-Tak stuff.

They could keep the same cameras, the same presentation, the same online/offline franchise, the same highlight show... keep all that stuff the same.

Just update the actual football gameplay engine to a realisitic physics-based one where every player has arms, legs, heads and bodies that can be individually interacted upon by an unlimited number of other players, the field and the football itself.

No body parts passing through other body parts. No invisible force-fields. Just pure, realistic player interaction.

That's all I want. Do that and slap the NFL license on it and I'll be a happy Madden gamer for the first time in over a decade.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: If EA did NOTHING but add a real physics engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
In fact, they could delete Superstar mode completely to save space on the DVD-ROM.

They could delete the sidelines too, since all the people on the sidelines look like stand-in props and movie-extras.
It does not work that way. It never has and it never will. Space is taken up by assets. Skin textures, jersey textures, etc. These are things that take up space. Modes, code, etc. These do not.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8

The funny thing is Backbreaker in only 1GB, yes you heard me correct en entire game is only 1GB.

What Ea really needs to do is just buyout 505 take backbreaker as an engine and just build on it fix a few gameplay issues and slap the NFL license all over it and you have one of the best football games ever made.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 33

Theres one thing to have a physics engine ala backbreaker. Its another thing to have ratings, weight, and different body sizes to affect the physics. All of which backbreaker does not.

Since the other two ea games are going physics based. Expect to see ncaa and madden go physics based soon.

Theres no point to physics based engines if weight and ratings are thrown out the window. Then you'd just have 11 similar players playing eachother.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
It does not work that way. It never has and it never will. Space is taken up by assets. Skin textures, jersey textures, etc. These are things that take up space. Modes, code, etc. These do not.

Well, cool then - leave Superstar in the game since it doens't affect the space taken up on the DVD-Rom.

Just don't touch it - don't waste any dev time on it - focus all dev time on the physics engine.

Backbreaker has a 1GB HDD install capacity- that leaves around 3GB of space for all the other stuff.

All I want is a physics engine. Heck, they might save space by deleting the animations stored for the current engine and just let the physics engine do all the "animating".

I don't even think disc-space is the issue to be honest. But if it is, then hit the delete button for all I care.

Whatever it takes, I want it to get done.

I'm serious - I'm BEGGING EA to do this. I can't watch any more of these E3 videos of Madden 11 - it's depressing.

I need Madden's attention to NFL details and Madden camera angles with Backbreaker's physics engine. Why can't I have both?

Last edited by Netherscourge; 06-18-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 10

physics and a real deep franchise like last gen (madden 07 ps2) is all this game needs. the good thing is if they do go this route with physics, unlike bbreaker, they already have a ton of animations for the animated stuff, so it would in turn look a ton better than bbreaker does since they have crap animations for things like dropbacks, catches, throwing, handoffs, jukes, etc. if they did this, madden would never leave my disc tray
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 2

I agree all this game needs is a physics engine and a deep franchise mode. However, no way that is happening anytime soon. They say they just spent an entire dev cycle on gameplay and locomotion. You really think they are going to just junk it and put in physics? Especially since they promised franchise for next year? So your looking at M13 at the earliest but by then the next gen systems will be close to comming out. Face it, this gen of Madden is dead.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
MVP

It's literally the final, missing ingredient for Madden to step out of this recycled plateau it's stuck on.

It's long, long, long overdue.

They got most of the other NFL details down pretty good. But the lack of a true physics engine is holding the whole Madden franchise back.

So many people would get back on EA's side if they just went for it. The Backbreaker peeps, the 2K peeps, the old-school Tecmo/Joe Montana/10-yard-fight/Blitz/Cyberball/Mutant League peeps would all jump on this game again.

It an untapped technology that just BEGGING to get implemented.

Backbreaker tried and missed the mark - but it serves as a proof-of-concept that you CAN DO IT and you can do it ON THIS GENERATION of consoles.

EA has got the money and the resources to do it the RIGHT WAY - they just need to make the comittment.

Last edited by Netherscourge; 06-18-2010 at 12:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »