Home

Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This video is what we need more of, intelligent and rational discussion of disagreement with EA over a design choice. And the thread I created about people not buying Madden 11 due to this strategy pad should also concern them in regards to the lost sales issue.

This video also confirms what I thought, that the game would work much better on the PS3. I hope EA can man up, admit they made a mistake and patch this as they did Fight Night. If nothing else, it definitely needs removed for Madden 12. Once it's gone we shall all never speak of it again.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

bukktown - they could always patch it and make the old way an option. Then they could still tout it as a new feature for the noobs.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Interesting video, and I think it has a valid point with regard to the ergonomics of using the Strategy Pad, particularly on the 360. Could explain the "clunky" complaints (which I echo).

I don't mind the intention of the Strategy Pad, but the DPad on the 360 is just really not a good control option. I think this video demonstrates that effectively.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Me too... I can learn to adapt pretty quickly and easily without much trouble. However, I realize that everyone is different and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. With that said, I'm always up for more options. Because the more options a game has the more people it can please. So if there is a way it patch in then I'm all for it.
Yeah they should have made it and option but I actually like the new system, but options are good.

This is also A really good reason why the exclusive deal is killing the genre.
If there was no deal then Madden could be Madden. Other companies could take more risks etc and if it were things that worked out great, then the Madden fans could start asking EA to replicate it etc...

As it stands right now Madden is Madden.. You here it all the time "It plays like Madden"...People are so used to the control scheme and gameplay that any major changes are going to ignite the flames and youtube vids.

A lot of people say Madden is stale and needs shook up but that's only if things don't change, IMO.

I started a thread so people could actually suggest what exactly they'd like to see upgraded and how'd they like to see it implemented...etc, since auto speed burst and strategy pad are widely hated.

... One post other than my own.

That just begs the question. Do people really want Madden to change or is it just the cool thing to say these days?

Who knows. I'm just going to do what I always do. Buy the video game and play and have fun with the video game.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 8

I'm on the PS3 now, but I used to host several tournaments on the 360 and was forced to understand the game on both systems...

The problem with having the Strategy Pad on the inside for the 360 is the repetitive motion of the thumb saddle joint. The fleshy portion of the thumb muscle is designed for gripping things toward the palm, not pushing away from it. The strategy pad on the 360 will create symptoms similar to Carpel Tunnel Syndrome for some players as they push against the larger muscle group for the thumb to make changes throughout the play...

I can see a HUGE class action lawsuit in the making if it's not patched to give players the option.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316

Gameflow and Strategy pad, two key additions (according to EA) in this year's game = BUST.
I don't think Gameflow is a bust at all. I like it. And you have the option of not using it unlike the stategy pad.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I can see a HUGE class action lawsuit in the making if it's not patched to give players the option.

Later
Seriously? lol
Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #24

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer

That just begs the question. Do people really want Madden to change or is it just the cool thing to say these days?
I think this Strategy Pad drama has given ammunition to the masses of people who don't like Madden. Some hate Madden and they really can't say why (at least not in a coherent fashion). Many are still jaded over the exclusivity deal. I'm certain that is the foundation to much of why many dislike the title. This issue with the Strategy Pad seems to allow many to jump on board and join the shouts against the Madden title.

I find it interesting and somewhat frustrating though that this Strategy Pad is snowballing into a huge pre-release issue when in fact this game continues to struggle with more important issues. You don't have to look far in this demo to see how awful the tackling is and how defenders are literally rolling off of the ball carrier. I don't understand why this isn't at the top of the simulation gamer's list. Yet, a feature that is usable (while a steep learning curve) like the Strategy Pad already has talks of letters and petitions.

I want the game to change where the change is an absolute identifier of a major gaming issue. Tackling is that issue and it has yet to be seriously addressed. The Strategy Pad is changing the way the buttons are mapped for pre-snap adjustments. It is change but the question for me is, "Was it essential?"

Last edited by DaveDQ; 07-29-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: misplaced modifier

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »