Home

Player Progression In Franchise Mode.

This is a discussion on Player Progression In Franchise Mode. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Player Progression In Franchise Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
First Corey Dillion was not a player who had one year and fizzled out. He was a very good RB from day one until he got old(for RB's) then became a servicable backup.

But no what you said is not portrayed in Madden 10. In Madden 10 it was predetermined who was going to get better or not no matter what happened on the field. So there are no Romo's or Austin's. Just like there are no Roy Williams senarios either. Take Dwayne Bowe for example. He had a very good year the season before Madden 10. So in Madden 10 he had a A potential rating. Even if the Chiefs went 0 and 16 and Bowe only caught 30 passes his rating went up to a 95 after the first season. There is nothing realistic about that at all. If that would have actually happen last year Bowe's rating in Madden 11 would drop alot. Just look at his rating in Madden 11 compared to Madden 10. There was no chance of that happening in Madden 10. He was getting better no matter what happened.

Since I used Bowe as an example his teammate Jamaal Charles is another example of how it was messed up in Madden 10. In Madden 10 his rating was low with a C potential if I'm not mistaken. So no matter what he did on the field his rating would get no higher than around an 80. Yet in real life he produced for the Chiefs and no has a 87 rating in Madden 11 while probably having A potential now. In Madden 10 it was impossible to get him to that kind of rating. So if you produced the same results or better in the game with him why shouldn't you get somewhat of a similar boost in ratings like he got from Ian and Co.??

Lastly in Madden 10 you didn't have to be smart. In fact it was the opposite. You already knew from the beginning who was going to become stars or not and that doesn't even get into the EA made draft classes. You definantly didn't have to be smart about those because you already knew who was going to be great and who wasn't. You could wait and get a guy Ozzie Jones in the 6th round knowing he was going to become a star.
You're confusing the re-rating of a real player based on real performance, which is a correction of EAs previous rating, and progression based on the video game.
When a real life player has a good season, EA correct the Madden ratings to reflect their updated perception of his abilities.
In Madden, the player is already playing to his abilities, so no correction is required. All that is required is progression of his skills, representing the benefits of practice, training, coaching and experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #42
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
But no what you said is not portrayed in Madden 10. In Madden 10 it was predetermined who was going to get better or not no matter what happened on the field. So there are no Romo's or Austin's. Just like there are no Roy Williams senarios either. Take Dwayne Bowe for example. He had a very good year the season before Madden 10. So in Madden 10 he had a A potential rating. Even if the Chiefs went 0 and 16 and Bowe only caught 30 passes his rating went up to a 95 after the first season. There is nothing realistic about that at all. If that would have actually happen last year Bowe's rating in Madden 11 would drop alot. Just look at his rating in Madden 11 compared to Madden 10. There was no chance of that happening in Madden 10. He was getting better no matter what happened.

Since I used Bowe as an example his teammate Jamaal Charles is another example of how it was messed up in Madden 10. In Madden 10 his rating was low with a C potential if I'm not mistaken. So no matter what he did on the field his rating would get no higher than around an 80. Yet in real life he produced for the Chiefs and no has a 87 rating in Madden 11 while probably having A potential now. In Madden 10 it was impossible to get him to that kind of rating.
I bolded your false statements.

In year 4 of my franchise in Madden 10, Bowe is a 94 overall and Jamaal Charles is able to grow to the mid 80's. I don't know what his potential is because he isn't on my roster anymore.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #43
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

...big brother is watching....

maybe one of you had an updated roster and one of you didn't , or used a different set. Before we bold "false statements" let's try to figure out what's REALLY going on .

Last edited by ryan36; 08-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #44
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
You're confusing the re-rating of a real player based on real performance, which is a correction of EAs previous rating, and progression based on the video game.
When a real life player has a good season, EA correct the Madden ratings to reflect their updated perception of his abilities.
In Madden, the player is already playing to his abilities, so no correction is required. All that is required is progression of his skills, representing the benefits of practice, training, coaching and experience.
There is no confusion at all. It it obvious you didn't read the post or you don't understand what I am saying. What do you think the roster updates they give us during the season are?? They are progression and regression. So if they change ratings during the season based on performance why can't performance play a role in our franchise mode?? Again for the last time I am not wanting or asking for a system based purely on performance. I would like a system based on the combo of potential and performance.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 7

Man, you guys turned this into how unrealistic 2500 yards is rather than the point. If a guy achieves a superhuman feet, shouldn't he be automatically a 99? If he's a 73 with C potential he's only going ot be a 75.

Look at every back who's ran for 2k, have they all not been 97+ in the following season's Madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
I don't think an issue lies in how the players ratings progress, but rather there's an issue with potential ratings that certain players have. I mean should a player who's overall is 95+ and is on the back-end of his career (Urlacher as an example) still have an A potential? The rating should change throughout the players career to eventually bring the players rating down (marginally) at the end of their career.
Absolutely true.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #47
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizon
Look at every back who's ran for 2k, have they all not been 97+ in the following season's Madden?
Sure, except there has only been 4 guys to do it since the Madden Era, which if you're getting realistic season stats shouldn't be occurring enough to really matter in terms of progression. There's only been 19 rushing seasons in the NFL that went over 1800 yards. It would be exceedingly rare that a player with a 73 OVR would go off over 1800 yards when simulated by the computer. Typically it is the human player creating these data points.

A human player can abuse the system so much it'd be near impossible to favor a performance system. For example, I can change my franchise settings one week to play a rookie level, 15 min, no accelerated clock game and rack up an insane amount of stats. Any performance related system (to be accurate) would have to take into account for those changes and adjust for them appropriately. Since progression is yearly it'd actually have to track what the time settings were for each game and adjust accordingly, not to mention there's really no way for it to adjust according to difficulty level (in terms of progression) across play levels or between payers who try to play the game in a realistic manner or those who run the ball 100 times with a RB and use the CPU's bad pursuit angles against it.

There's always a way to break performance progression on a local level to the point where you could make nearly every offensive skill player a 97+the following season (if we're basing it off of stats similar to 2000 = 97+). The problem of multiple game settings/customizations causes considerable harm to even partial performance progression systems, the sim engine has little to no way to adjust to your settings compared to the computer sim engine, resulting in the problems last gen with defensive players not registering enough tackles and not progressing as well as the CPU players at the same positions.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
There is no confusion at all. It it obvious you didn't read the post or you don't understand what I am saying. What do you think the roster updates they give us during the season are?? They are progression and regression. So if they change ratings during the season based on performance why can't performance play a role in our franchise mode?? Again for the last time I am not wanting or asking for a system based purely on performance. I would like a system based on the combo of potential and performance.
They are corrections, EA realising they mis-rate, and corrected. Real life performance (that's the key thing) leading to a correction of ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »