Home

EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative

This is a discussion on EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #33
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative

This hatred towards Paying for DLC is pretty offbase. EA is charging for cheats and Ultimate team(which was developed as free DLC and you can play for free). When EA starts charging extra for Franchise mode or stuff that was already in the game, then you will have a argument.

As of Right now, Not buying any of EA's DLC for madden will not alter the experience.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #34
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven0m43
Sounds like they are going to to make an average game, and then decide that they are going to charge $60 for it, but only allow you to play 60-70% of the game and make you pay for the rest of it. At the same time they will be making a second version to be released next year.

If EA makes a game that everyone wants to play then they can work on getting DLC later on to sell. The DLC should be added stuff that they didnt have enough time to add to the game by release and would have been left out.
well look what EA did with battlefield bad company 2, i play it on PC regularly and freakin love it. there were numerous patch updates continuing to improve the game, which is also a series...released every few years.

they recently came out with a $15 DLC product called battlefield vietnam, which for $15 dollars is like playing a whole new game. when i compare this game to madden (in terms of sales and marketing) i don't even know how its the same company. i would love to see madden take battlefields approach and release a new game every few years that is truley amazing with DLC and roster updates in between...but we already know this won't happen, bc2 isn't the only FPS therefore the game is actually really good and well produced.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyhubcaps
I take exception with your word "free" here. It would be nice to get stuff for free, but you don't get anything for free. At the very least, you pay $60 for the initial purchase.

As to your second paragraph, users understandably want to play a game. The problem is that EA is the only maker of NFL games, so people craving NFL games need to give their money to EA or not own such games at all. That's why people are more sickened that this comes from EA than another company; EA is already monopolizing the industry and screwing consumers in other ways.
You paid $60 for the out of the box game. Not the additional downloads. Which are all optional. If you don't buy the product and it doesn't sell then there will be no renewal of the exclusive license.

Take exception to what you want but the fact is you want the extras that EA offers with its game free of charge or easily. When you buy you know the $60 does not include these features.

Every business in the world charges for the things they can. Trust me no one is in business to make your life easy or work for free. Its tough to run a business and its incredibly narrow minded to assume that the $60 covers everything easily. The overhead? Salaries? R & D?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 16

I don't mind the in game advertising as long as it is wisely and creatively thought-out. In the lower right hand corner, just makes it annoying and make me NOT want to buy the product. However, the Verizon and Old Spice are well-thought out, but just so repetitive since they are the only two ads in the game.

However, allowing people to buy cards on MUT, DOES ruin the experience for others, because they almost always have the better teams, for much less time playing the game. I can speak for NHL, that buying attributes is what makes me NOT play OTP anymore, because I constantly played guys who were 99 ovr in everything, who clearly used money to get it. So, it's good for EA, bad for the non-buying customers.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 12
Interesting... I just wrote a blog on this subject:

http://www.operationsports.com/shyvoodoo/blog/11669-dlc-and-sports-gaming-thought-from-a-concerned-sports-gamer/
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #38
Rookie

thecougarbear's Arena

OVR: 6
This is one of many reasons that EA has not received a penny of my hard earned cash since 2008.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #39
Pro

CYST2000's Arena

OVR: 16

Do not compare apples to oranges. Madden is a annual release and most other games that demand MT are usually out every 2-5 years. CoD, WoW, ect. EA has been very selfish in the past 3-4 years, and what used to be enough for EA has become less then enough. I have bought my last Madden in 2009, and until EA changes their business practices, I won't bother purchasing another EA game.

This is what seperates us from our grandparents. When they thought they were getting jobbed they would stop doing business with the companies they didn't trust, and if the companies changed, then it would take them time to regain the trust of the people. So, if you don't like how the product is or how you are treated, then stop purchasing the products.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I admit that I don't follow other videos games as intently as I do sports games, especially the Madden franchise. But I feel, year after year, that I hear more about how EA plans to generate more revenue than I do about how they plan to simply make a better, stronger game for their avid fan base.
QFT.

I'm not sure what I can and can't say due to fear of it being misconstrued as bashing. I'll try to word it nicely because the intent isn't negative, I am just making a comparison.

Madden 07 (PS2)- This game lived and breathed energy, IMO and is still the high point of the franchise. I still play it to this day. To me it was the pinnacle of everything leading up to it. Madden 01 all the way up to 07, and you felt and visibly saw the game improve year to year. Obviously the menu went through changes, the uniform selections became deeper, the graphics improved, but what really got me in love with that game was how much there was to do in it, and how occupied those things would keep you. You had a franchise mode that literally had almost everything in it, but all the little things to keep you coming back for more. You name it:

-Owner Mode

-Restricted Free Agency

-TWO UFA periods (I liked this better)

-In FA, the CPU would periodically update with offers so you didn't necessarily get first dibs at everyone until you sim a day

-The Draft had reactions for each pick, as limited as they were, it was huge

-Individual/National Newspapers..Fun to look around the league.

-CPU traded amongst themselves and made roster moves. It felt like a 32 team league rather than 16 field trips.

-On that note, seeing the EA Ticker come up when you played a game showing the scores of previous games or games going on currently.

-Player Morale/Player Roles: I've seen Sean Considine make it to 96 OVR, just as I've seen Reggie Bush get tagged "1st Round Bust".

-Tony Bruno Show: Cool for it's time, something I would want back in some capacity in a new form.

Training Camp/Position Battles...SO MUCH FUN. Especially seeing who may win what job.

I could go on and on, but I need to save space for the other things. Franchise as a whole felt like a real experience that took a long time to create, and it was very easy to appreciate the game because it felt as organic as it did.

If Franchise wasn't your thing, Superstar Mode had become a GREAT way to kill time. This mode was incredibly improved upon from the Madden 06 version, and again you could feel the time and effort enslaved into making the game respond as if it were real. You WANTED to spend all day playing this game because it made you enjoy the game of football that much more...at least I did.

One of my all time favorite additions to the Madden franchise did not make the jump to next-gen, which was Tournament Mode.

My little brother, now 13, and I used to go and randomly select teams to fill all 16 seeds and do a Double Elimination tournament. We'd guess the winners, and see who would get more picks right. Really didn't do anything as far as playing it, but it was fun to do that. Of course, it makes having Madden parties that much easier.

I guess all I'm saying is when you take a look at Madden 11, which is a good football game in it's own right, it just doesn't feel the same. When I flip on the game, I immediately notice the graphic updates and flashier appearance, but it feels like dating the girl based on purely looks. I don't feel that sense of living, breathing excitement going on anymore. Now, maybe part of it is because I'm not 16 anymore. However, being 20 seems to be average if not a little younger than most of the people who hardcore-frequent this place like I do, so obviously I'm not "too old". I miss the deep core of the Madden franchise and since the move to next-gen the game has appeared to look a little more frail each iteration. I still play nearly every day, but it feels like now it's because I'm hoping that I can force myself to enjoy it as I remember it like the old games. Ian has done a great job righting the ship since Madden 10...I truly believe in the direction of Madden if they are going away from In-Game Ads. My only fear is everyone else's fear.

-I already have to pay to keep a player out of retirement, something that has happened yearly with Favre and the three teams he has made pay

I can only hope the direction of M12 and beyond puts everything that is a natural part of the NFL game, lifestyle and business as a stock part of the disc I pay $60.00 for. All the extras, fine, charge all you want. If all that should be there is there, I'd be much more likely to purchase extra.

/endmassivewalloftext

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »