Home

Why the NFL’s Labor Strife Might Be the Best Thing That Happened to Madden (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on Why the NFL’s Labor Strife Might Be the Best Thing That Happened to Madden (Kotaku) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #41
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Why the NFL’s Labor Strife Might Be the Best Thing That Happened to Madden (Kotak

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
If 2k was too continue making a NFL game, I don't think madden would be selling 5 million copies. First off the 2k crowd wouldn't be buying madden, second if 2k was too build off of 2k5 presentation and have ALLPRO2K8 gameplay it would really hurt madden in its current state. Look at NBA today and MLB today implementation, its really adds to the immersion. If 2k was still in the game football wise, Madden would be selling a lot less in my humble opinion, but well never know that fact.
My point is that 2k would need to get to first base before throwing out what if's. They need the capital for start-up and perhaps licensing fees and I don't feel they have the capital do do that, especially if they are looking for someone to buy them out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Why the NFL’s Labor Strife Might Be the Best Thing That Happened to Madden (Kotak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I understand what you are saying and I still feel that is an ideal world. In reality, what company has enough start up cash for R @ D and put out a football game? That company would be taking on a huge risk going up against the Madden name. If Madden sells 5 million copies, do you really think a company will sell more than 500,000 copies going up against Madden and become profitable?

The NFL won't give up exclusivity. EA might be in the drivers seat, but it's still an NFL driven game. I feel EA will be paying less for the exclusivity vs just royalties and a percentage of sales.
I think the NFL is going to have give up exclusivity because no one's going to pay for it. Exclusive licenses are expensive because they make up for the fact that there's only one company paying for it. The appeal, of exclusivity, for the NFL was the fact that they can make more money than with multiple publishers. If that is know longer the case, because EA won't pay that hefty fee anymore, they may go back to multiple licenses.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 02-21-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #43
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I think the NFL is going to have give up exclusivity because no one's going to pay for it. Exclusive licenses are expensive because they make up for the fact that there's only one company paying for it. The appeal, of exclusivity, for the NFL was the fact that they can make more money than with multiple publishers. If that is know longer the case, because EA won't pay that hefty fee anymore, they may go back to multiple licenses.
I would love more options as a consumer, but right now, EA and the NFL have a business agreement. I see EA and the NFL coming to a compromise vs EA giving it all up.

That's what businesses do, they compromise on both ends, like they did on the current license.

Otherwise, at this stage, it's all just wishful thinking and holding out hope.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #44
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
I would love more options as a consumer, but right now, EA and the NFL have a business agreement. I see EA and the NFL coming to a compromise vs EA giving it all up.

That's what businesses do, they compromise on both ends, like they did on the current license.

This is where I'm getting at.

It would be nothing short of wonderful if the situation plays out like LiquorLogic believes it will. I just feel like we are escaping reality if we seriously entertain the potential of this occuring.

If I'm a business, yes, the money matters. A lot. But there's no way in hell I'm going to let another capable company enter the market when I have the means to freeze them out.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:

What does EA have to gain from compromising after the license expires ? The current license is different. EA was worried that a possible lock out would kill their sales, so the NFL reduced their financial obligation, but, in return EA agreed to extend the deal and extra year.

EA wanted some relief; the NFL wanted another year of security with the license; that's a compromise.

It's not really wishful thinking. Yes, it's possible that another company enters the fold if EA doesn't renew the deal with the NFL, but it's also possible, as you pointed out, that no other publisher will be willing to develop a football game because they don't think that they can compete with the EA.

The game will be better if the exclusive license ends regardless of whether EA has an actual competitor or not. They won't be paying that hefty fee, so they'll be able to put more money into the development of the game. Of course, a competitor would be ideal for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
If I'm a business, yes, the money matters. A lot. But there's no way in hell I'm going to let another capable company enter the market when I have the means to freeze them out.
What other capable company will be out there in 2013 ? Madden will basically have a strangle hold on the market without having to pay for it, and as I pointed out before, they've always had a strangle hold on the market, 2k just gave them a little scare.

EA has no one to fear whether another company comes out with a game or not.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 02-21-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #46
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
What does EA have to gain from compromising after the license expires ? The current license is different. EA was worried that a possible lock out would kill their sales, so the NFL reduced their financial obligation, but, in return EA agreed to extend the deal and extra year.

EA wanted some relief; the NFL wanted another year of security with the license; that's a compromise.

It's not really wishful thinking. Yes, it's possible that another company enters the fold if EA doesn't renew the deal with the NFL, but it's also possible, as you pointed out, that no other publisher will be willing to develop a football game because they don't think that they can compete with the EA.

The game will be better if the exclusive license ends regardless of whether EA has an actual competitor or not. They won't be paying that hefty fee, so they'll be able to put more money into the development of the game. Of course, a competitor would be ideal for us.

I see what you are saying, but respectfully disagree.

I just don't see the NFL and EA breaking up their partnership from the past 7 yrs. (9 yrs at the end of the license) Instead of paying $400 million for the license, maybe the pay 200 million for that same license. That makes the NFL happy and EA happy they can stole away 200 million for production.

I like your idea, but my gut is telling me that Madden and the NFL will be in it for the long haul.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #47
MVP

blklightning's Arena

all i know is that this license needs to end. i'm tired of seeing my favorite sport being the worst represented of the lot in the video game world. the show and nba 2k can amaze you at times. but madden just continues to tread the same waters. and in some areas, they've managed to drain a bit out of the pond.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.

Last edited by blklightning; 02-22-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 10

If 2k or Sony was too make a football game this gen, with the technology and ambition they have with there other titles, it would be a rap. It wouldn't be long before these company make a great football game. Wasn't it Ian himself that said he tired of people comparing Madden and 2k5 in the same sentence? Well Ian, what's the problem? Madden trying too cater to the casual gamers have bit them in the ***...look at the sales for proof.

So they need too get the fundamentals of football right and surpass NFL2K5 presentation and ALLPRO2K8 GAMEPLAY too shut up alot of the majority of hardcore fans. They have the games too study, so I don't understand what's the problem? We not asking Madden to be just like those games, but we are asking that the presentation and gameplay surpass those games , its 2012 how much longer do we have too wait?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »