Home

Madden NFL 12 Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #609
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Madden NFL 12 Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3)

Even though Madden 12’s demo is from an older build it is a big upgrade over NCAA 12 in quite a few ways. I played three games and it’s awful nice to be able to have 5 minute quarters (acc clock though) and be able to change difficulty, game speed and sliders in a demo. The sliders are adjustable in full (can have 64/100) although there were no special teams sliders. Not sure about that.

The pre-game presentation is cool and a bit better than NCAA 12 although most users will skip past this stuff quickly over time. No commentary in the demo but it has stats! After every play a new stat is posted by the score. Take note NCAA! Stat overlays also come up and they don’t wait for 50 or 100 yard intervals either! There is a half time show although only 4 replays are shown and two of them were cut scenes. That could use some work – maybe 5 plays and only 1 cut scene. The varying camera angles and replays while calling plays keeps it fresh.

Overall the game is really smooth and looked good. It plays a lot smoother than NCAA 12. The feel of the players is a lot better than NCAA. They have more weight and momentum and it feels a lot better than NCAA’s spastic and twitchy player movement. Also the pass speeds are a lot slower. These two things make playing pass defence rewarding as a LB or DB. I was actually playing as a CB in the slot and felt I could actually cover guys! I’ve never been able to do this in next gen NCAA since the player movement/control has been so twitchy and unrealistic. The juke move is toned down but I actually used it with a returner to beat someone in the open field because defenders have more momentum and can’t mirror my every move.

The slower pass speeds do force you to get rid of the ball a bit sooner on offence but it also appears the game allows you to release the ball sooner, almost before a receiver break,s without leading them into a streak. I’ll have to play with this a little more but it appears route based passing may almost be in there. I did find it hard to complete passes near the sideline. Even open receivers don’t keep their feet in bounds very well. I did throw a crossing route to a WR over the middle and another defender in the area didn’t attempt to make a play on it. It looks like head tracking may work in Madden. LB swats are still there to a degree but definitely toned down from NCAA. I was able to drop a seam route to a TE over a LB without seeing the dreaded swat. I didn’t see DBs magically jumping routes at light speed for picks either.

The new kick meter and camera angles are nice. My only complaint is that the button presses on the kick meter seem a bit laggy. You really have to hit the button hard to get it to register.

My biggest complaint is the crappy camera angle. It’s a little too zoomed out and it’s really bad on the running plays. The NCAA camera is a lot better imo. That’s about the only area I can say NCAA 12 is better than Madden 12. It just feels like Madden 12 is designed for prime time – the #1 matchup on the schedule while NCAA 12 is the #7 matchup on the schedule that didn’t get the love in production.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #610
Rookie

Wobberknockle's Arena

OVR: 2

The game really does have an arcade feel to it. On the default settings I rushed for 78 yards with Grant on 11 carries and just obliterated Chicago through the air. I didn't bother to look at the stats (only know Grant's because they appeared on the screen) but Nelson, Finley, Jennings, and Cobb all had at least 80 yards and Rodgers threw for 5 scores and rushed for another.

On the other side of the ball, I had 16 total tackles, 5 sacks, and 3 picks.

Before I give any REAL feedback, let me up the sliders a bit and make this a little more challenging for me.

Last year I had a very hard time compiling realistic defensive stats altogether. I would play 15 accelerated minutes, but I'd give up 10 huge plays a game and only record 4 or 5 tackles with my leading players. It really was a huge bummer for me. I hope that gets fixed this year.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #611
Pro

NDIrish98's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Even though Madden 12’s demo is from an older build it is a big upgrade over NCAA 12 in quite a few ways. I played three games and it’s awful nice to be able to have 5 minute quarters (acc clock though) and be able to change difficulty, game speed and sliders in a demo. The sliders are adjustable in full (can have 64/100) although there were no special teams sliders. Not sure about that.

The pre-game presentation is cool and a bit better than NCAA 12 although most users will skip past this stuff quickly over time. No commentary in the demo but it has stats! After every play a new stat is posted by the score. Take note NCAA! Stat overlays also come up and they don’t wait for 50 or 100 yard intervals either! There is a half time show although only 4 replays are shown and two of them were cut scenes. That could use some work – maybe 5 plays and only 1 cut scene. The varying camera angles and replays while calling plays keeps it fresh.

Overall the game is really smooth and looked good. It plays a lot smoother than NCAA 12. The feel of the players is a lot better than NCAA. They have more weight and momentum and it feels a lot better than NCAA’s spastic and twitchy player movement. Also the pass speeds are a lot slower. These two things make playing pass defence rewarding as a LB or DB. I was actually playing as a CB in the slot and felt I could actually cover guys! I’ve never been able to do this in next gen NCAA since the player movement/control has been so twitchy and unrealistic. The juke move is toned down but I actually used it with a returner to beat someone in the open field because defenders have more momentum and can’t mirror my every move.

The slower pass speeds do force you to get rid of the ball a bit sooner on offence but it also appears the game allows you to release the ball sooner, almost before a receiver break,s without leading them into a streak. I’ll have to play with this a little more but it appears route based passing may almost be in there. I did find it hard to complete passes near the sideline. Even open receivers don’t keep their feet in bounds very well. I did throw a crossing route to a WR over the middle and another defender in the area didn’t attempt to make a play on it. It looks like head tracking may work in Madden. LB swats are still there to a degree but definitely toned down from NCAA. I was able to drop a seam route to a TE over a LB without seeing the dreaded swat. I didn’t see DBs magically jumping routes at light speed for picks either.

The new kick meter and camera angles are nice. My only complaint is that the button presses on the kick meter seem a bit laggy. You really have to hit the button hard to get it to register.

My biggest complaint is the crappy camera angle. It’s a little too zoomed out and it’s really bad on the running plays. The NCAA camera is a lot better imo. That’s about the only area I can say NCAA 12 is better than Madden 12. It just feels like Madden 12 is designed for prime time – the #1 matchup on the schedule while NCAA 12 is the #7 matchup on the schedule that didn’t get the love in production.
i missed where this was the "how's madden compared to ncaa" thread. i liked the demo, and i also like ncaa 12. never felt the need to compare the 2 here. now, i could see comparing it to madden 11, but, thats just me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #612
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffey30
anyone who has silver and wants the demo just create another gamer profile and u get 1 month free of gold....theres always a way around Ea's shady tactics
Really? It's EA's fault that I, and other Xbox users, have to pay for Xbox Live? I dind't know EA controlled Microsoft's product.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #613
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiDiTkA
Haha you can tell they increased hand size to compensate for how big the ball was.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #614
Pro

NDIrish98's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
Haha you can tell they increased hand size to compensate for how big the ball was.
is that Bobby Boucher??
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #615
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

After playing the demo, I love what Madden 12 is. The passing, running, etc. The only major gripe I have is the pre-snap scenes. I know why they're there, but I'm not a fan of them. What's irritating to me is that I have to press A to get past the scene and just view the LoS, but this makes my players rush to the line. I don't want them rushing, persay.

I'm happy to say that my pre-order is justified.

Edit: Rodgers looks like he's ready to kill someone.

Also, is it me, or am I missing commentary? (j/k)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #616
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongTheFearless
I don't wanna offend anybody, but while I do see people commenting on here about noticeable things are wrong in the game, I also see a ton of nitpicking. I played the demo two times today, and I loved it. It was smooth, I didn't find a lot of flaws. Through my eyes, it's a great football game. I'm no madden fanboy, I hated last years game, and I want 2k football to come back too, I like that game, and I hate EA. But 2k5 came out long ago, guys. Move on. It came out in 2004. It's 2011 now. While I hate the idea of Madden being the single football game available, It's what we've got, and we've got learn to live with it. Again, I don't wanna be rude, but people are just nitpicking the hell out of Madden 12! It's a good football game! Learn to live with it guys, until 2k comes back. And when it does, I'm kissing madden goodbye.
You and me are the same.

I will say this. I have literally hated any EA football game this entire generation. I didn't care much for it last generation. I have only purchased 3 Ea football games this gen including the recent crappy NCAA 12.

With all that said.. This is the only football demo that I have played multiple times and can't wait to play more. I will still rent it first just to see how the online randoms play. But so far damn! It's like there is a whole new team behind the game.

One of the biggest differences is that I feel I am getting beat and beating my opponents with football. When I blitz it actually works when called at the right times. When I called bad coverage, Rodgers threw it to the rightfully open man. When I called cover 2, as a safety Rodgers made me choose between the post and the fly route. I chose the post and he threw the fly for the TD.

I am seriously loving the game. I couldnt be more happy because I swore off Ea due to NCAA 12.

Will still rent first to make sure but from what Ive seen, it will be really hard for me to stay away from this one. Great game so far.

Last edited by alliance4g63; 08-09-2011 at 11:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »