Home

Madden NFL 25 Blog - Playing Defense

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25 Blog - Playing Defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Madden NFL 25 Blog - Playing Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Umm hasn't this been the case for previous Maddens as well? Are they saying awareness had no effect on whether a defender got faked out by a move in previous Maddens? It's amazing what EA will say about previous versions of Madden to sell the current one lol. Anyway, after reading this blog, I understand why the vid looked like much of the same stuff. It's because the blog said much of the same stuff as well lol. Is it just me or does it seem like they work on pursuit angles every year lol. Anyway, the vid and this blog did nothing for me (either way) and honestly, I feel they could have saved this to focus on getting the connected franchise blog out on time on the 20th. That's what I'm really looking forward to because it's painfully obvious to me that at this point, the gameplay ain't gonna be changing too much.
I feel u but also I think in all honesty I believe defensively what they need to add has more to do with animations and less bout features dline and lb need gap assignments true zone assignments. I think that's way d seems lime nothing there imo
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Umm hasn't this been the case for previous Maddens as well? Are they saying awareness had no effect on whether a defender got faked out by a move in previous Maddens? It's amazing what EA will say about previous versions of Madden to sell the current one lol. Anyway, after reading this blog, I understand why the vid looked like much of the same stuff. It's because the blog said much of the same stuff as well lol. Is it just me or does it seem like they work on pursuit angles every year lol. Anyway, the vid and this blog did nothing for me (either way) and honestly, I feel they could have saved this to focus on getting the connected franchise blog out on time on the 20th. That's what I'm really looking forward to because it's painfully obvious to me that at this point, the gameplay ain't gonna be changing too much.
I tried to find the video for you somewhere on the internets but it seems EA has removed them completely. There was an interview with an EA dev Rex Dickson, that had far more video of the new things being touted for defense. Some of us got to see it and commented on it in the thread before those clips were removed from the interview and replaced with the run free trailer. Anyway there were some noticeable improvements shown, imo, here is what I posted about it after seeing it and a link to the thread. The first few pages are impressions from those that got to see the footage before it was replaced.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...n-gotgame.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I am surprised nobody commented on the Ryan Kerrigan sack, I thought that looked good the way Force Impact or IE 2 effected the blocking RB and Kerrigan was able push him back to get the edge, to sack the QB. I also liked the realistic emotion/celebration of the defenders after those big hits. On the Patrick Willis hit, it doesn't seem like the usual big hit stick-fly backwards animation, towards the end you can see Willis do more of a wrap, to try to make it seem more like he hit and drove, needs work though.

That said I agree some of this stuff is over the top, especially the airborne truck/stiff arm stuff. It has been mentioned that for some reason EA thinks people want to see this stuff in trailers, so we shall see how it looks in E3 videos.

EDIT- Wanted to add that in that same Kerrign clip, Orakpo is in the right of the shot, starts to the outside, is blocked and seems to try to spin back inside. The downside to this is that he is not able to disengage from the blocker/blocking animation as soon as he spins free but at least he does do something besides stand there patty caking. Also the "heat seeker" tackling looked promising, aside from the moniker. Those Polamalu tackles, namely the attacking the ball carrier, taking out the ball carriers legs, I didn't notice in M13 and the last one by him, the high tackle, would have been a poor pursuit angle and likely a run by-follow behind the ball carrier-whiff, in M13. There are some promising and concerning things in this video, good post JP Davis.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Some of these things we just have to be patient for guys, once E3 comes we will have a lot better idea of what was and wasn't fixed in Madden 25.
You were a one-man riot on Twitter for 3 days while this video was delayed, yet you preach patience .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat3
This is why I would love to see 2k make another NFL game. They have it in them to make a perfect football game (or close to perfect) The only complaint with APF was that there were no current players.
APF 2k8 played much too much like NFL 2k.. seeing that they were made by the same company. The animations looked weird to me and on top of that sprinting with a ball carrier on that game was completely ********.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #37
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

"...defensive awareness plays a big role this year, as defenders with a higher awareness rating are less likely to bite on fake-outs. So when a ball carrier attempts a juke on a high-awareness defender, that player is likely to make an appropriate reaction and still make the tackle."

I like what is being suggested by the use of "awareness;" I am hoping this will now give a little more variation between teams and coaching philosophies...Do I go for the faster, more agile player who may be able to play tighter coverage in M2M and reduce the chances of a few completions, while missing on a few big tackles, or do I take the slightly slower, less agile zone player who has a higher awareness who may reduce the chances of huge gains against him by being a sure tackler, but let a receiver get more separation once in awhile?

Last edited by californ14; 05-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 11
Icon8 Re: Madden NFL 25 Blog - Playing Defense

Those screenshots in that blog look on point. I can see they changed player models, their limbs look more human like.
Also the new lighting system stands out.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I like the heat seeker option. Real life tackling involves things that can't be used in video games. You can't watch a ball carriers's waist, for example. Assistance without taking control from the user? Hopefully it uses a good balance of user input & ratings. But it shouldn't be tied to awareness. Tackling & agility.

Defensive recovery mechanic? Is that the defensive version of the footwork? Either way, good to know defenders will also move more realistically.

Diving sounds good.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA Sports: Playing Defense in Madden 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Heh still haven't fixed the colts socks, that's a big fine in today's NFL to have no white showing on the socks.

Anyways this was about what I expected on this front, was hoping to hear something about pass defense but whatev's I guess.
you don't have to wear the white socks. look at reggie wayne. you're saying he was fined for just taping his shoes w/ black tape and not wearing white socks? i don't think so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »