Home

Madden Creator Wins $11 Million in First Round of Lawsuit

This is a discussion on Madden Creator Wins $11 Million in First Round of Lawsuit within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden Creator Wins $11 Million in First Round of Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
how does this affect Madden?
I hope it means EA now has to actually build an entirely new football game from scratch, in order to avoid continuing to pay royalties for using this guys basic template all these years, lol. Like Only1LT alluded to, the biggest potential revelation from this suit is that Madden is still fundamentally enough of the same game from decades ago, for this guy to win in court.

The more stuff I read, the more I realize there is just no way I can eff with Madden anymore, until something fundamentally changes. Being completely blunt, even for the "wonder years" of Madden in the PS2/Xbox gen, this game has been and continues to be, more about brand marketing than NFL replication. I often point out how Madden this gen is feature inferior to Madden last gen, which while true, is still trumped by the fact that Madden last gen wasn't a solid football sim either, imo.

I couldn't care less what Madden or Tiburon do in general but for the fact I have been football gaming since the "block" players on Atari 2600, 10 Yard Fight at the mall arcade and NFL branded gaming since its' inception. It's hard to give up a habit you have had for almost 30 years, even if it has continually gone down hill for you that last 8-9 years. At this point, posting in the Madden forum has become a habit too, even though I am starting to do so less and less. Would be nice if there was a feature on OS where I could just be banned/restricted from posting only in the Madden forums, until I can completely wean myself, lol.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #34

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I hope it means EA now has to actually build an entirely new football game from scratch, in order to avoid continuing to pay royalties for using this guys basic template all these years, lol. Like Only1LT alluded to, the biggest potential revelation from this suit is that Madden is still fundamentally enough of the same game from decades ago, for this guy to win in court.

The more stuff I read, the more I realize there is just no way I can eff with Madden anymore, until something fundamentally changes. Being completely blunt, even for the "wonder years" of Madden in the PS2/Xbox gen, this game has been and continues to be, more about brand marketing than NFL replication. I often point out how Madden this gen is feature inferior to Madden last gen, which while true, is still trumped by the fact that Madden last gen wasn't a solid football sim either, imo.

I couldn't care less what Madden or Tiburon do in general but for the fact I have been football gaming since the "block" players on Atari 2600, 10 Yard Fight at the mall arcade and NFL branded gaming since its' inception. It's hard to give up a habit you have had for almost 30 years, even if it has continually gone down hill for you that last 8-9 years. At this point, posting in the Madden forum has become a habit too, even though I am starting to do so less and less. Would be nice if there was a feature on OS where I could just be banned/restricted from posting only in the Madden forums, until I can completely wean myself, lol.
I don't think they will ever be able to avoid paying him royalties.

Regardless of what they call it or the engine they use, the name and brand that he came up with will always be his idea.

I just don't see an argument EA could ever make that would say they are no longer making a game that is 100% devoid of it's original intent.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #35
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gg Randall
Wow!!! He's getting paid.
Yep all because EA hasn't changed anything from 1996
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #36
Pro

chronoxiong's Arena

OVR: 2

Good for the guy. He deserved to get paid. I think EA's practices needs to change so all these lawsuits going against them is good news so they can try to improve on their games and for them to stop getting the NFL license for themselves. Let 2K get a crack at it! I miss their games!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 0
I find it amazing that they are still using the same code from the original Madden Football 25 years ago. I'm lucky enough to have owned and played the game when it came out, and it was really, really good at the time. The graphics obviously pale to today's standards, but the gameplay was as good or better than current offerings, and that was on an Apple II. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that they are using the same code in the modern game--it was reliable and it worked. Good job, Antonick!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »