Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Orioles @ Bluejays (Hits)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Orioles @ Bluejays (Hits) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #89
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Orioles @ Bluejays (Hits)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I can't remember and I've always though 2k baseball games had weird hits like that. Could be wrong though.
I played the equivalent of close to three seasons with 2K5. The opposite-field-golf-shots-for-HR's that were in 2K8, were not in 2K5. It was one of the very first issues I noticed with 2K8.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #90

OVR: 34

I think the danger here is basing conclusions on Flash video replays. These videos are not doing the game justice. Especially, in this video.

However, there is definitely a drop in frames. Watch the batboy picking up the bat. The bat morphs into his hands. An entire frame is missing. 2K claimed that these things are improved upon in the final build. I just read the Game Informer article previewing the game and they mentioned that the early build they had was better than last year's (In the framerate dept.).
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #91
Banned

OVR: 24

To me these are major flaws and while the over all game looks much better to me then last years, (sans all the ads) They should have shelved this game until you had something more playable, or at the very least discounted the price since the game is not up to standard yet. I always had high hopes for this game. I love the game of baseball and virtually have played all video games pertaining to the sport. I still have high hopes for this game they have made some great strides but they've come from a long way back too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #92
Banned

OVR: 23

It definately makes you wonder what direction 2k is heading, because they have been all over the place lately. From a business perspective that can't bode well. I can understand wanting to get the game looking good this year and capitalizing on the license and all the 360 owners that dont have a choice, vs making a game that had horrible presentation and dated franchise and plays great. I think they probably came to the decision to get it looking and flowing nice first. Plus I dont think the gameplay was all that bad. It seems improved somewhat from last year and they are doing the right things here. But it does give that impression that 2k is keeping their head above water here vs releasing a complete product.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 02-22-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #93
Banned

OVR: 23

I'll be happy if this is a B+ effort and from what I've seen I think it will be. I think it will be on par with nba 2k9 and probably better than that game. Which is amazing when you think about it, considering how bad last years game was. That's not to say they don't need to really delve into gameplay next year. From what I've seen we shouldn't be nitpicking VC too hard here. You can tell the hard work that has been put in here. They only had so much time and you can't do everything in a year or two. If you played 2k8 and were expecting a perfect game here you are kidding yourself. We should be happy they did what they did. This game looks great and it should give new life to the series imo.

On that note I really had no issue with that markakis homerun. It seems like it was missing a frame or something and wasn't that unrealistic. Was it everything we hoped it could be? Probably not but it was not that big a deal. I agree that these things should be pointed out and hopefully 2k reads this stuff. But this game is going to be loads of fun and I cant wait. I'm just a gamer and like playing games and 2k isn't paying me to fix their games and drive myself nuts nitpicking every little thing.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 02-22-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #94
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I think the danger here is basing conclusions on Flash video replays. These videos are not doing the game justice. Especially, in this video.

However, there is definitely a drop in frames. Watch the batboy picking up the bat. The bat morphs into his hands. An entire frame is missing. 2K claimed that these things are improved upon in the final build. I just read the Game Informer article previewing the game and they mentioned that the early build they had was better than last year's (In the framerate dept.).
If you're implying the HR hit was a result of missing frames, I don't understand the logic. It was still a HR, and would have been if the video was running smoothly. In defense of that particular play, it's important to point out that both the power and contact sliders have a lot to do with balls flying out of the stadium. Lower the power slider and that ball becomes a lazy fly to LF.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #95
Banned

Quote:
But it does give that impression that 2k is keeping their head above water.
It felt that way last year with Kush. But with VC taking over this and the NHL series, there's a sense 2K is trying to raise the quality of their product, and address concerns that people have had with both games the past few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #96
Banned

Quote:
On that note I really had no issue with that markakis homerun.
People keep saying that. But I'm wondering if they played 2K8. One game I had Ortiz golf a pitch in the dirt over the LF wall. It was so ridiculously unrealistic, I stopped the game and restarted with Ortiz leading off. I intentionally pitched balls off the plate outside and below the knees. Nevertheless he connected on a 3-1 count and sent the pitch over the LF wall again. The replay showed the pitch was 10-12 inches off the plate, knee-high. As Blzer and others have pointed out, it was a definite programming issue last year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »