Home

Operation Sports MLB 2K13 Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 2K13 Community Impressions Thread within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #41
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Operation Sports MLB 2K13 Community Impressions Thread

Go Cardinals!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 6

I've played 3 games so far. Overall the game is very similar but I have noticed a few differences.

-In the first game Juan Francisco came up with runners 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, late in a close game and they pulled the Right handed starter to throw a lefty at him. So that was a great AI move. Then the following inning the pitcher came up to bat and they didn't pinch hit for him in a very obvious situation to pinch hit. Bad AI move.
-Baserunners seem faster this year. 45 was the sweet spot for base runner speed last year, it's now 40 this year. I think with some of the base running animation fixes it sped up the runners a bit.
-I'm using 0/0 inf/outfielder speed settings and I've actually seen some balls hit over the outfielders heads. Didn't feel unrealistic either. I think the ball is traveling faster this year mainly due to hits aren't going so high in the air. I think the ball had too much hang time last year and that has been fixed this year. I've seen better hit variety overall.
-The bunt fielding isn't any better this year. There's a lot of bunted balls that the catcher takes that should be the pitchers balls. That bug is still there.
-With runners first and third, stealing second base is free still, the catcher won't even throw down.
-The foul ball lag is definitely still there but it's not that bad.
-I've seen a few wonky animations catching flyballs, making throws and inbetween innings but overall i think its somewhat improved from the previous year. I think overall animations were slightly sped up. Everything feels a little faster from baserunning, running in the field, throw speed, etc.
-In the 3 games I've played using the same sliders I used for MLB 2k12 I've hit 3 HR's, two were with Andrelton Simmons of all people (57-62 power) and one was with Uggla who has 82 power. The opposition has only hit 1 so far, Hunter Pence with 76 power. I've won 2 games, both 6-1, lost the other game 4-3.
-The colors are improved. Navy blues are darker as they should be.
-Commentary is updated and is great.

I liked MLB 2k12 and I think 2k13 is an improvement, albeit slight. $60 isn't much money to me so it's worth it just to have the new league alignments with the Astros in the AL. I don't play online leagues but if I did I'd be angry they removed it.

That's all for now.
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 0

http://47reviews.blogspot.com/2013/0...-2k13-360.html

Since I know there aren't (m)any reviews out there, I've decided to type this review up. Generally I wait a few days after a game releases to post a review, but I've already played for about 7 hours today, embarrassingly enough.

Graphics: 3.5/5 You'll be seeing me saying phrases like this a lot in this review, but... same as last year, from what I can tell. If you've played MLB 2K at all for the past three or so years, then you've seen 2K13. Wonky animations, some horrendous player faces, and an overall "blah" look to the game. They aren't God awful, but they're barely average. Additionally, the menus are exactly the same as MLB 2K12's, just with the 2K13 logo instead.

Sound: 4.5/5 As many people would likely say, the sound in 2K13 is fantastic, and much better than The Show's. If it weren't for the commentary in the 2K series, the games would be FAR less enjoyable, in my opinion. The conversations between Philips, Thorn, and Kruk seems to come naturally and realistically, and lines aren't repeated ad nauseum, with the exception of: "Let's take a look at how the Tigers stacked up against the league last year", yada yada yada. That kind of crap happens four or five times a game, and it got old a couple years ago. Not only is the commentary (mostly) outstanding, but the MLB 2K13 soundtrack isn't too bad either:

"Faster Babe" by 2AM Club
"Take Me Away" by Blue Oyster Cult
"City in Silhouettes" by Funeral Party
"Natural" by Infusion
"Club Foot" by Kasabian
"Peeled Apples" by Manic Street Preachers
"Little Secrets" by Passion Pit
"Take a Walk" by Passion Pit
"Don't Let Them (Cool Off)" by Peter Bjorn and John
"Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John
"Fire Burning" by Sean Kingston
"No Hope" by The Vaccines

In my opinion, 2K13 has a solid setlist, and I believe it's better than last years. "Club Foot" is a popular song that many people have probably heard before, and "Take a Walk" by Passion Pit is a song that was most recently played in Taco Bell's Doritos Locos Taco commercial.

Fun: 3.75/5 Despite the fact that this game is, from what I can tell, a perfect port from 2K12 (minus the online leagues, I noticed. Yes, you read that correctly -- no only leagues in 2K13), it remains a decent enough game. If you can get past the fact that the guys at 2K got paid to do nothing but add the Astro's new uniforms and switch them to the American League this season, then you'll enjoy it. The jersey colors haven't been corrected (Powder blue Yankee caps and brightly contrasted purple on the Rockies road unnies), a lot of players don't have updated pictures, and the scoreboard that was changed prior to the 2012 season at Comerica Park in Detroit hasn't been renovated in this game. Some of these issues are inexcusable, but the fact is, this is the only baseball game on the Xbox 360. MLB 2K13 isn't at all a bad game, but it doesn't mean 2K shouldn't be ashamed of themselves for making such minute changes to this game. Let's be honest, I'm giving this quite the generous review score.

3.5/5

+ The commentary is the highlight as always; The soundtrack is enjoyable; Games play quite well when using custom sliders (I recommend checking OperationSports.com and downloading MKHash's); At least the Astros are in the AL West with their unattractive new uniforms.

- The game still has horrendously unrealistic animations; Most of the player models creep me out; The commentary mentions statistics far too often; No online leagues; The colorblind guys that are responsible for jersey colors are apparently still hired; General laziness by the entire 2K baseball team.

Last edited by Ordeal47; 03-05-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #44
MVP

MarvinOida's Arena

OVR: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordeal47
http://47reviews.blogspot.com/2013/0...-2k13-360.html

Since I know there aren't (m)any reviews out there, I've decided to type this review up. Generally I wait a few days after a game releases to post a review, but I've already played for about 7 hours today, embarrassingly enough.

Graphics: 3.5/5 You'll be seeing me saying phrases like this a lot in this review, but... same as last year, from what I can tell. If you've played MLB 2K at all for the past three or so years, then you've seen 2K13. Wonky animations, some horrendous player faces, and an overall "blah" look to the game. They aren't God awful, but they're barely average. Additionally, the menus are exactly the same as MLB 2K12's, just with the 2K13 logo instead.

Sound: 4.5/5 As many people would likely say, the sound in 2K13 is fantastic, and much better than The Show's. If it weren't for the commentary in the 2K series, the games would be FAR less enjoyable, in my opinion. The conversations between Philips, Thorn, and Kruk seems to come naturally and realistically, and lines aren't repeated ad nauseum, with the exception of: "Let's take a look at how the Tigers stacked up against the league last year", yada yada yada. That kind of crap happens four or five times a game, and it got old a couple years ago. Not only is the commentary (mostly) outstanding, but the MLB 2K13 soundtrack isn't too bad either:

"Faster Babe" by 2AM Club
"Take Me Away" by Blue Oyster Cult
"City in Silhouettes" by Funeral Party
"Natural" by Infusion
"Club Foot" by Kasabian
"Peeled Apples" by Manic Street Preachers
"Little Secrets" by Passion Pit
"Take a Walk" by Passion Pit
"Don't Let Them (Cool Off)" by Peter Bjorn and John
"Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John
"Fire Burning" by Sean Kingston
"No Hope" by The Vaccines

In my opinion, 2K13 has a solid setlist, and I believe it's better than last years. "Club Foot" is a popular song that many people have probably heard before, and "Take a Walk" by Passion Pit is a song that was most recently played in Taco Bell's Doritos Locos Taco commercial.

Fun: 3.75/5 Despite the fact that this game is, from what I can tell, a perfect port from 2K12 (minus the online leagues, I noticed. Yes, you read that correctly -- no only leagues in 2K13), it remains a decent enough game. If you can get passed the fact that the guys at 2K got paid to do nothing but add the Astro's new uniforms and switch them to the American League this season, then you'll enjoy it. The jersey colors haven't been corrected (Powder blue Yankee caps and brightly contrasted purple on the Rockies road unnies), a lot of players don't have updated pictures, and the scoreboard that was changed prior to the 2012 season at Comerica Park in Detroit hasn't been renovated in this game. Some of these issues are inexcusable, but the fact is, this is the only baseball game on the Xbox 360. MLB 2K13 isn't at all a bad game, but it doesn't mean 2K shouldn't be ashamed of themselves for making such minute changes to this game. Let's be honest, I'm giving this quite the generous review score.

3.5/5

+ The commentary is the highlight as always; The soundtrack is enjoyable; Games play quite well when using custom sliders (I recommend checking OperationSports.com and downloading MKHash's); At least the Astros are in the AL West with their unattractive new uniforms.

- The game still has horrendously unrealistic animations; Most of the player models creep me out; The commentary mentions statistics far too often; No online leagues; The colorblind guys that are responsible for jersey colors are apparently still hired; General laziness by the entire 2K baseball team.
The colors I thought were fixed for the most part, also I thought people said animations were smoother. Though this is just a man opinion. Also, they had like 2 months, I'm surprised they have most people here happy with the game after seeing the negativity and "2K is obviously dead now" talk once the last 2K12 patch was out.

I'm reading all of this, all I want is fun baseball, most people say this is fun, so Imma go by their word.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
The colors I thought were fixed for the most part, also I thought people said animations were smoother. Though this is just a man opinion. Also, they had like 2 months, I'm surprised they have most people here happy with the game after seeing the negativity and "2K is obviously dead now" talk once the last 2K12 patch was out.

I'm reading all of this, all I want is fun baseball, most people say this is fun, so Imma go by their word.
The trailers were a lie. The animations seemed to be fixed, but they're the SAME as 2K12's, without a doubt. As for the jersey colors, they're definitely not any better either. Play as the Rockies and check out that purple ... way off, and way too bright.

Sounds like I bashed the hell out of the game, but it's still decent. It's playable. It's baseball.

It's a lot better than nothing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 13

I don't have the game but when i check uniform colors in reditor i can see that Yankee home and Detroit home uniform colors for example are a lot darker looking in 2k13 than in 2k12 like they should be so at least some of the unis must be right.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Played a game tonight... REALLY like it. It's a patched 2K12, but patched for all the reasons we've wanted it to. I'm very happy with my purchase. I won't elaborate as much of what I've seen here is already posted.

I feel this game is more tilted toward the pitchers - I tested it using my sliders from 2K12 and the pitchers were more dominant. But this game is an improvement on last year and that's a good thing.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I tested it using my sliders from 2K12 and the pitchers were more dominant.
Heh... play a few more games..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »