Home

MLB '09: The Show Preview with Screenshots (ESPN Videogames)

This is a discussion on MLB '09: The Show Preview with Screenshots (ESPN Videogames) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #161
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: MLB '09: The Show Preview with Screenshots (ESPN Videogames)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
If it was easy, we would do it. Thank you. Next question.
Well, why didn't you say so?

Problem solved!

Seriously, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm also in the "this doesn't bother me all that much" camp, myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #162
Banned

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Well, why didn't you say so?

Problem solved!

Seriously, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm also in the "this doesn't bother me all that much" camp, myself.
Geez, I'm glad this is put to rest. I'm going to save the quote the for next time this rears it's head.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #163
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

next question?....here it goes...

have the pitcher animations been upgraded (can they be upgraded?) to show a little more....whip in the arm motion.

sometimes the pitchers look like they are throwing a whiffle ball.....no real whip-snap...if you will

thank you

PS...otw...game is looking great....player models inc.!

Last edited by K_GUN; 12-19-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #164
Rookie

ARMORALLL's Arena

OVR: 8

Not all the player models are the same. I notice that a player like Matt Stairs is shorter with a rounder figure whereas Derek Jeter is tall and slender.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #165
MVP

Scooter3's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: MLB 09 Huge Preview and Screens - ESPN

RIP ASB...

Is this live of is this Memorex? This is going to be a great year guys!

Hats off to the SCEA people, you are all involved in something really special...

SCEA's video baseball game is a blessing to me ...I'm past my prime ( which is code for I'm an old geezer ) and I thought my baseball playing days were over... It feels like I'm starting over again with this great game...

Can't wait till March!

Scooter...

Mark Twain:
" Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to."

U.S. Army Veteran
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #166
MVP

Garrett67's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
I guess I might as well jump in here.

If it was easy, we would do it. Thank you. Next question.

Seriously, first we have to make a distinction between Player Geometry and the skeletal system. The Player Geometry (ie, the model) in the PS3 game is entirely different than the PS2 model. From head to toe, not a single poly, not a single texture is the same.

What many of you are complaining about is the proportions of the skeleton....and this is simply not an easy thing to just change.

Look at it this way. Put your hands together in front of you like you are clapping. Hold them in front of you palm to palm and imagine 2 more inches of length added to your arms.... your hands don't match up anymore do they? Same thing with holding a bat, adjusting your helmet, punching your fist into your glove, reaching into your glove to get the ball, putting your hands on your hips, etc etc etc...you get the idea.

We currently have over 20,000 of these animations to convert. Like I said, if it were simple, we would push the "new skeleton" button and take the rest of the year off. Don't forget, it has taken us over 7 years to build up this catalog of animations. And yes, I know people will chime in with, just use a simple IK system, problem solved....well, yes and no...might get us part of the way there, but an IK system doesn't know how Derek Jeter holds his elbow during his stance, etc....so it may get the hands on the bat, but in doing so, will mess with the integrity of the animation.

Please understand that we do take this seriously, and it IS something that we are looking at for the future.

Enjoy.

Chris

And I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Xbox 360: Garrett67
Playstation: Bean1967
Steam: Axemaster5150
Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #167
MLB Lead Animator

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management
Please cut it out. I said they had two choices. Spend the time on player models, or spend the time on other features. Not that I don't believe a developers explanation (which was given to me via PM). And I was using home as an example of real time animation adjustments. Home is probably using stock animations from some company anyway.

Asking for a deeper explanation than "complications" is not out of line. I'm sure the SCEA developers don't mind the dialog either (not that I asked them specifically, they've probably been asked a million times).
We don't mind the dialog at all...that is why we are here.

If you look at things that way, then you could say just about every decision is a "marketing" decision...but that really is not the case. Every developer in the world has to cut and/or scale back features...even games with 3 year (or more) dev cycles...heck, I'm sure even Duke Nukem Forever will have to cut a feature or two to ship (just assuming here....I have NO first hand knowledge of DNF...so hold your PMs).

Developers have to prioritize, of course. If we had endless amounts of time and people power ( ) we could do it all. We have our wish lists, you have your wish lists...etc. The fact is, we get a ton of new things into the game every single year, and we are proud of that...but, alas, some things just have to be put off until the future. Thankfully choosing jerseys in franchise and going the short way for the 3rd out at 2nd (among a TON of other things) made it in this year.

Okay, back to work....

Chris
Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #168
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

LOL @ this thread. Anyway, the preview has me even more excited than before for this game and the pics look tremendous. Like I said in an earlier thread, if this game delivers like I think its going to, then I won't be buying another game for the rest of the year. Looks great so far. Thanks to the SCEA team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »